e/y

Just watched Sleeping Beauty the recentish Australian film about a woman who is paid to drug herself unconscious and subject her body to the tender mercies of overaged sex perverts (who are allowed to do anything except penetrate her). I guess this could have gone in the erotic film thread - except it's not at all erotic (except for maybe when she is being choked by a invasive medical procedure that she undergoes in one of her many attempts to raise money - but that's probably just me). A sumptuously cold and alienating film about alienation with lots of interesting ideas and many unresolved points. I'd recommend it highly (and if enough people have seen it I think it's worth its own thread).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588398/reviews

watched this today, very good. thanks for the tip, IR.

IdleRich

IdleRich
No worries. If you can find a Japanese film called The Bedroom (also known as Perverted Wife, Shameful Torture or something like) then it would be the perfect film to watch next, the premise is virtually the same.

viktorvaughn

mysteries of lisbon - rual ruiz

beautiful, complexly plotted, 4.5 hr long but you can just fully sit back and let it flow over you...

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

How? Where? No fair, I want to see this but it was only on for about four and a half hours in London.

The Rio in Dalston had a showing last Sunday...just a one off I'm afraid! I think we these long films you kind of need to see them in a cinema so you don't get distracted and wander off..

Did the BFI not have it at all?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
not an unreserved recommendation, but the first Congolese film in 25 years, Viva Riva, was pretty good. Pulp Fiction on crack with a touch of Bollywood (general cheesiness, not actual choreographed song/dance), the violence much more brutal and casual than anything in the west... but if you didn't like City of God it's not for you.

Keen to watch this because i'm curious as to both the locations and the way in which violence is treated on-screen in a country with the DRC's recent history, but didn't rate City of God that highly i must say...

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Rio in Dalston had a showing last Sunday...just a one off I'm afraid! I think we these long films you kind of need to see them in a cinema so you don't get distracted and wander off..
Bollocks! I live in Dalston right near the fucking Rio! I probably walked right past it. What was I doing last Sunday, can't even remember? Oh yeah, I watched Never Let Me Go - it was pretty good.
Don't think it's on elsewhere, it was on at the Curzon for a few days but only at stupid times*. So it was good yeah? Is it kinda magic-realism or what?

*ie times when I couldn't go

viktorvaughn

Bollocks! I live in Dalston right near the fucking Rio! I probably walked right past it. What was I doing last Sunday, can't even remember? Oh yeah, I watched Never Let Me Go - it was pretty good.
Don't think it's on elsewhere, it was on at the Curzon for a few days but only at stupid times*. So it was good yeah? Is it kinda magic-realism or what?

*ie times when I couldn't go

not full on magic realism but little splashes of things seeming deliberately off kilter, odd, dreamlike, hazy. Some of the acting was very stagey and not striving for realism. lots of lush details and textures. dominated by two characters who form an almost god/devil binary and seem to crop up with numerous disguises/personas/characters almost like folk characters or timeless archetypes.

some interesting shots where somehow the foreground and background were both in focus (guess digital technique) so you had someone's profiles up close, still, unspeaking and then the scene played out in the background.

lots of of long floating shots that reminded me of Russian Ark somewhat. Also reminiscent of Barry Lyndon.

basically really good! it's the kind of thing the bfi might show in a while perhaps, i really want to see more of his films now...

IdleRich

IdleRich
City of Pirates and Seven Crowns of a Sailor are the most poetic of Ruiz's I've seen. Well worth checking. I'm pretty sure I've described them in detail somewhere on dissensus.
Never seen Barry Lyndon somehow...

luka

i dont go to the cinema a lot. been three times in the last 5 years. i watch tinker tailor solider spy yesterday thought and i ejoyed that. i didnt know what the fuck was going on but i did enjoy it. i liked how the old blokes were the stars and the young blokes seem dopey and feckless. i didnt really rate jamie oliver as ricky tarr tho, that was a bit werid. and lister from red dwarf, i cant get used to seeing him in normal acting roles.

i like still performances. have you seen that mystery of love film? that has a good still performance from a sad middle aged man in it too.

rubberdingyrapids

i didnt know what the fuck was going on

haha. i went when i was ill and falling asleep so didnt know either. though from what i did see, it was nicely moody/atmospheric but all the profundity i was meant to see went over my head.

stephenk

not full on magic realism but little splashes of things seeming deliberately off kilter, odd, dreamlike, hazy. Some of the acting was very stagey and not striving for realism. lots of lush details and textures. dominated by two characters who form an almost god/devil binary and seem to crop up with numerous disguises/personas/characters almost like folk characters or timeless archetypes.

some interesting shots where somehow the foreground and background were both in focus (guess digital technique) so you had someone's profiles up close, still, unspeaking and then the scene played out in the background.

lots of of long floating shots that reminded me of Russian Ark somewhat. Also reminiscent of Barry Lyndon.

basically really good! it's the kind of thing the bfi might show in a while perhaps, i really want to see more of his films now...

this is really beautiful, it reminded me of 'russian ark' too. i watched the first hour and then started falling asleep, though i don't think that's a bad thing at all. i'll watch more tonight.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

Four shorts about love. I don't know why but for me it's only Asian movies like these who do the trick. I could never imagine an European or American movie dealing with the same theme and making it as realistic as this. It's all cute and quirky. It's recognisable, it's honest and well acted. It's looking good as well, nice colours and all. The four shorts seem to be independent but turn out to form an ingenious coherent story. Nicely done. Recommended.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i didnt really rate jamie oliver as ricky tarr tho, that was a bit werid.

hahaha

I went to see TTSS with a mate who had never seen the BBC adaptation (which I have) and I don't think he had a clue what was going on. I think it worked a lot better for me since I was more or less familiar with the story-line and so I could appreciate the atmosphere of it all.

I saw Chronicle at the cinema last night. It wasn't one I'd unreservedly recommend but if you're into special effects there's some impressive stuff going on there. Found footage films always do my head in because I keep thinking ''WHY would they film that?''

rubberdingyrapids

saw wild at heart at the bfi today. it was really good, better in fact, than i remember it. maybe nicolas cage's best film? saw ken russells the rainbow too, and though i thought some of it was like a tick box approach to cover every base, i loved it. made me think a bit of katie tippel.

q - what is the best dvd copying software? i need to get a good copying program asap....