baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"J'ai pas sommeil" by Claire Denis - really touching new (1990s) French cinema, very much in an American indie style, with added Parisian-ness and a very interesting line upon identity.

As an added bonus, Yekaterina Golubeva and Richard Courcet are two of the prettiest leads you're likely to see in a film. And only one of them is a serial killer.

pajbre

"J'ai pas sommeil," is so lovely, as is "Beau travail," and The Intruder. Trouble Ever Day, well maybe 'lovely' isn't the word but it's another good Denis film.

Just watched Harun Farocki's Videogrammes of a Revolution last night and am still speechless, totally singular and essential viewing.

3 Body No Problem

"J'ai pas sommeil," is so lovely, as is "Beau travail," and The Intruder. Trouble Ever Day, well maybe 'lovely' isn't the word but it's another good Denis film.

I second the recommendation for "Beau Travail". Also, best use of Italo Disco in an arthouse movie!

I would love to see more C. Denis, but she's rarely being shown in London.

3 Body No Problem

The final scene in Beau Travail is fantastiche, funny how the new film '35 shots of rum' is in another world of sensibility.

On some level Beau Travail and 35 Shots are both about the same: men, more precisely the strong quite type of male. C. Denis fascinates me precisely for that reason. Almost all movies are made by men, and are consequently about women on some level. With her it's different, and without misandry.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Evil Dead II. :D

Well it was new to me, OK?

64553-10.jpg

GROOVY!

Last edited:
Mesrine -l'instict de mort

OK not unreservedly but a very enjoyable movie about a macho criminal who doesn't take any shit. Very reminiscent of 70s Scorcese but French.
You can't take your eyes off Vincent Cassel, he is amazingly charismatic even though the character is a psycho.

Skin

Biopic about Sandra Laing, a black child born to white parents in apartheid-era South Africa.
Pretty straightforward but touching and shocking.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
'Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia' - I know there was a Warren Oats discussion here a while back - great film. Is it me or does anyone else think he's creating the template for Tom Waits' persona to some extent in this film? Not suggesting Waits 'copied' Oates' character, but it seems uncanny. Love the final frame.

nochexxx

harco pronting
following on from Craner's recomendation i watched School of the Holy Beast, which i thought was a little short from being fantastic, primarily because of the somewhat daft ending and also the priests badly made beard (although the latter was more forgiveable).

can anyone recommend me more Japanese exploitation films? ta.

crackerjack

Is it me or does anyone else think he's creating the template for Tom Waits' persona to some extent in this film? Not suggesting Waits 'copied' Oates' character, but it seems uncanny. Love the final frame.

I'm sure this is an idea I've seen floated before, perhaps just cos it seems so right and therefore should've been, even if it hasn't.:confused:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia' - I know there was a Warren Oats discussion here a while back - great film. Is it me or does anyone else think he's creating the template for Tom Waits' persona to some extent in this film? Not suggesting Waits 'copied' Oates' character, but it seems uncanny. Love the final frame."
Certainly the scene near the start when he's drunkenly playing the piano is extremely reminiscent of Tom Waits' persona - or one of them at least.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
True, but the obvious piano playing aside, there are scenes (especially one when he's sat on a bed) where his whole demeanour and mumble/growl delivery style instantly brought to mind Waits in 'Down By Law'.

Opening Scenes I Would Unreservedly Recommend Watching Again And Again, no1 (in a series of one, probably) - 'Once Upon A Time In The West' - again, the other day...blew me away...perfect marriage of sound and vision...surely one of the best.

polystyle

Opening Scenes I Would Unreservedly Recommend Watching Again And Again, no1 (in a series of one, probably) - 'Once Upon A Time In The West' - again, the other day...blew me away...perfect marriage of sound and vision...surely one of the best.

Seconding "Once.." The opening - and alot of what follows.