grizzleb

The direction on that movie must be 10 years ahead of anyone else. America was still just sticking cameras in front of actors and letting it roll. Lang's was all over the place (esp loved the shot of the fat cop at his desk from the ankles up). Makes me wanna see Metropolis, which I've still never got round to.
I've seen bits of Metropolis, but I can only vaguely remember it, I recall it being not as good as M at any rate, but I think that would take some doing. Yeah the direction in it is crazy. I'm going to see if Lang has any more talkies kicking about...Will report back...

petergunn

plywood violin
Anyone seen this one ?
Some corn, set up's and stiffness, but one can catch such a dose of loneliness in Clint's performance-
and his dry voice singing that title song over closing credits.

Sounds like Clint sings first over credits ,then this cat comes in ...

this movie is semi-racist, but it is still awesome... clint is great in it, all the grunts and huffing and puffing of old age feel very real... and he is still badass as hell...

it is a sappy film, but a totally enjoybable one... seeing the dirty harry clint of the 70's thrown into 2008...

just watched the germs biopic... actually not half bad, and the guy playing darby did a good job... dunno if i wanna see him sing LIVE with the germs, but it was a fun flick and captured some of darby's creepy 70's scientology and manson roots...

Woebot

I've said it before, but I watched it again last night, and Stroszek is an absolutely superb film. The best in Herzog's oeuvre IMO. The fantastic use of music, the amazing looking grainy 70's film, great dialogue, and the characters who are portrayed just on the cusp of insanity/reality all make it one of my faves. A tragi-comedy par-excellence.

sfunny i was about to post that up myself. seen loads of herzog but this one slipped between the cracks for some reason. great movie.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sfunny i was about to post that up myself. seen loads of herzog but this one slipped between the cracks for some reason. great movie.

I started watching it a couple of months back - was really enjoying it but was tired so never got round to finsihing it. Must go back.

zhao

there are no accidents
Watched 'Takeshi's'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478044/

a couple of nights ago. Very, very close to being genius, probably one of the most mind-blowing feats of theoretical and interior film I've ever seen. Useless to watch it if you don't know his other films though.

interesting. i think he is sometimes genius.

what's new with the japanese new wave? haven't heard about anything new on the level of Audition or Cure lately? has Miike done anything worthwhile in the last few years?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I tell you what film I've been meaning to recommend on here for almost a month now, but I always forget to actually do when I'm logged on: Short Cuts.
It's pretty old, obviously, and a lot of people here will have no doubt seen it before, but still, absolute knock-out movie. The sort that even though it's quite long, when it finishes for the first time, you immediately want to put it back on and start again. It makes me want to watch more Robert Altman films (I'm only aquainted with MASH and Gosford Park otherwise so far) and also to read some stuff by Raymond Carver: both things I should have done already by this time of life, clearly, but I'll make up for lost time now.
Finally saw The Producers yesterday as well, and it's hilarious. But again, I suspect almost everyone here will be familiar with that one.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Watched 'Takeshi's'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478044/

a couple of nights ago. Very, very close to being genius, probably one of the most mind-blowing feats of theoretical and interior film I've ever seen. Useless to watch it if you don't know his other films though.

yeah that is good. i'm a bit of a fan i have to say. have you seen Kids Return? it's an easy film to watch and quite unique for a Kitano film i think.
it's harder to track down, which perhaps explains why it's largely ignored.

zhao

there are no accidents
How 'bout "Bright Future" by K Kurosawa ?
It was a good one, if not great in odd Japanese way ...

Two young guys work in a plant that manufactures oshibori (those moist hand-towels found in some Japanese restaurants). Their weird bond is based on uncontrollable rage--something neither can articulate or control--and the strange jellyfish that they keep as a pet.

2003... i'd see that.

allegiant

Evenly Distributed
Trois couleurs: Bleu, by Krzysztof Kieslowski. Not the first time I've seen this, yet it still manages to overwhelm on each subsequent viewing. Binoche is just incredible.

However, I'm not a massive fan of The Trzy kolory Trilogy, on the whole. Thought White was garbage, bar one or two wonderful moments, and though I tried to immerse myself Rouge, it never seemed to hold my attention like Bleu.

Honourable mention to Aki Kaurismäki's Shadows in Paradise, too.

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
possession.jpg

Andrzej Zulawski's Possession (1981) - apocalyptic horror drama about the violent separation process of an emotionally disturbed and interdependent couple culminating in the birth of the monstrous incarnation of (their) love.

This is one of the darkest and most disturbing movies I've ever seen. The frantic cinematography must be the most convincing representation of insanity in film history and the performances by Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill are so intense as to make you physically uncomfortable. Truly an unrecognised masterpiece.

By the way, has anyone else heard of The Human Centipede? Holy shit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nope but it looks good.
Possession big favourite round here. All of his other films (that I've seen) are well worth your time as well. Especially The Third Part of The Night.

stephenk

love possession; i sorta felt like antichrist (which i'm whatever about) was trying to steal some of its elements.

must see human centipede as well, looks intense.

stephenk

Dear fuck.

One of the comments on youtube:
"Comparitively speaking, I'd let my kids watch Saw before I let them watch this."
i was thinking, I'd let my kids get abused before I let them watch this.

hahah, well this was pretty terrible but i have a soft spot for campy horror shlock and david cronenberg body horror so i didn't really have a problem sitting through it. also, nothing happens. the sequel is sure to be extra terrible.

woops

is not like other people
I watched The Human Centipede last night but I'm not impressed. Once you've seen the trailer you know the concept and that's the most unpleasant part of the film - and it's too dumb to be at all disturbing. Aside from that it's a pretty straightforward teen horror flick.
I'd much rather my kids watch this and all the Saw films in one marathon session than the Seventh Continent.