tox

Factory Girl
Got round to seeing Da Vinche Code today. Not sure it really belongs in this thread, as there is no way I would unreservedly recommend it.

It wasn't a bad film, just very boring. The boredomfactor was exagerrated watching it in a non-Christian country. No-one I went with had the faintest idea what in the world was happening for the two and a half hours of the film.

Haven't read the book, so I'm probably not the best person to pass judgement on the flick itself. Surely a few others have seen it by now...

DJ PIMP

tox said:
Haven't read the book, so I'm probably not the best person to pass judgement on the flick itself. Surely a few others have seen it by now...
I'm in the same boat, but fucks sake, what a bland pisspoor movie. It felt like every second line of dialogue was literal plot exposition. The only character worth any empathy was Silas, simply because watching the movie I could relate to his flagellation.

One of my fave critics:

The greatest threat that Dan Brown's novel, and now Ron Howard's film of the same, poses to spirituality is the same threat that any bad art presents the human soul. The Da Vinci Code is a retarded attempt to summarize painstaking scholarship and liturgy into broadly digestible gruel. In the eyes of many, it's what the Christian Bible is to centuries of pagan mythology and millennia of cultural anthropology: the greatest stories ever told, retold in a form that illiterates and the gullible can appreciate. It's nothing more and nothing less than The Celestine Prophecy (itself adapted for the silver screen this annus mirabilus) for fallen Catholics and armchair intellectuals: books so poorly-written, so bereft of poetry and grace, that they cannot offend (or repel) the unschooled and the indiscriminate with their oblique-ness, each about poetry and grace so brusquely raped and "decoded" that the "conspiracy"--the great mystery of great art--is laid bare as bad thriller material. It's skipping forward to read the last page of the book--and the wrong book at that. Is it really ironic that Ron Howard, who has never directed a graceful scene, has never had a film with a hint of a whiff or subtext (his version of "genius at work" is a holodeck (see: A Beautiful Mind and now The Da Vinci Code)) is the chosen one for the adaptation (along with partner in extreme, middlebrow-pleasing mendacity Akiva Goldsman) of an obscenely popular book (60-million copies sold and counting) that makes anyone with a half a brain crazy with grief for the plight of the sublime in our culture?

This may be a sign of the apocalypse, though not in the way the zealots on either side would have you believe. The danger of both the book and the movie is that they have people believing they've read literature or seen a film of substance when this just isn't the case. It's no great secret that our culture has become "dumbed down" (I'm not surprised that many wear this as a badge of brute honour)--but the real cultural fallout is not how stupid and venal our most popular cultural artifacts are (they always were, after all), it's in our collective willingness to buy what we're sold, wholesale. And that infects more than the cineplex: "intelligence" is a maligned ideal and ironic in most public usage--using the correct words and referencing anything from before the last five years is pretentious. When we want philosophy we go to sub-Carlos Castanedas like Dan Brown. When we want uplift we go to sub-Stanley Kramers like Paul Haggis and Ron Howard. When we want moral leadership, we look to calcified, devalued, debunked pundits like the Vatican, George W. Bush, and Oprah... [continues]

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/davincicode.htm

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess that you've all seen it but I watched The Devils last night (and, er, Dodgeball on Sunday). I really enjoyed it, simple plot with inevitable tragic ending and an ambiguous main character you still end up rooting for. At the end you want him to him escape or get some kind of revenge on his tormentors even though you know that he can't. Very nasty though in parts, actually in most of it. I guess that may be necessary to get across what is being shown but I thought that some of it was slightly gratuitous - or am I missing the point?
The other thing I didn't realise was how similar it was (superficially at least) to The Crucible. I knew that they both dealt with hysteria and witch trials but I wasn't aware of the political edge to The Devils. As far as I know though it's not a comment on any contemporary event, it's based on a book by Aldous Huxley and another book by someone else which both deal with true events although I guess that wouldn't necessarily preclude using it as an allegory.
I enjoyed Talk To Her but I preferred All About My Mother. Until recently though I never realised how silly some of his early films are - I've watched Kika, Women on The Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and another one (whose name escapes me) recently and I greatly enjoyed the madcap weirdness of all of them.

O

Omaar

Really enjoyed Lemming, though it did go off the rails a bit, I thought. Similar in bits to hitchcock, Lynch and French social commentary. It has a pretty wicked sense of humour.

Kekexilli - mountain patrol: sort of sino-tibetan-western with social and ecological themes. Some threads in the narrative seemed to disappear though. Cool landscapes and tibetan music.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm gonna try and see Lemming some time before it disappears.
I watched Brick at the weekend, I don't know that anyone has mentioned it on here but I thought it was excellent. For a start it was so different from everything else that's around at the moment; it had a brilliant and complex plot and a great, slightly surreal, atmosphere. At times it was genuinely tense and it has moments of humour that don't detract from everything else. Straight from the start (which has no credits) you're thrown into it and I was caught up from then. One of my friends told me that the filmmakers spent a sixth of the budget on having Sister Ray play over the credits at the end which I also think is pretty cool.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno if this really belongs here because I can't say that I would unreservedly recommend it, but I watched Radio On on Sunday. Strange film where almost nothing happens, very slowly, but with an excellent soundtrack (Bowie, Kraftwerk and loads of punk type stuff) and looking good in black & white. It's kind of a road movie (in as much as you can have a road movie about travelling from London to Bristol) about a guy who wants to find out why/how his brother died, there is almost no dialogue and no resolution but it's quite watchable and strangely sad. There are a number of random encounters with peculiar characters who simply add to the sense of alienation and the film ends with him abandoning his car and catching a train.
Oh yeah, and it's produced by Wim Wenders and features a cameo by a certain Geordie pop-"reggae" star.

O

Omaar

IdleRich said:
I watched Brick at the weekend, I don't know that anyone has mentioned it on here but I thought it was excellent. For a start it was so different from everything else that's around at the moment; it had a brilliant and complex plot and a great, slightly surreal, atmosphere. At times it was genuinely tense and it has moments of humour that don't detract from everything else. Straight from the start (which has no credits) you're thrown into it and I was caught up from then. One of my friends told me that the filmmakers spent a sixth of the budget on having Sister Ray play over the credits at the end which I also think is pretty cool.

Did you find the dialogue difficult to understand? I couldn't figure out whether it was the sound in the cinema, the accents, the slang, the speed of the snappy noir retorts, the sound design or my deteriorating hearing, but I found that I just didn't understand alot of what was said.

It seemed sort of fresh in some ways, but looking back on it now it seems that a lot of stuff was lifted from Lynch.

The violence of the main character didn't sit that well on him, I guess this was another noir trope but it didn't seem quite right.

It does hum along quite nicely though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Did you find the dialogue difficult to understand? I couldn't figure out whether it was the sound in the cinema, the accents, the slang, the speed of the snappy noir retorts, the sound design or my deteriorating hearing, but I found that I just didn't understand alot of what was said. "
Good point. My friend had seen it before me and said that he found it difficult to understand - I asked if that was due to the dialogue and he said "no, the sound quality wasn't very good". I think he was right too, in some bits the volume of the speaking did seem too low relative to the background music and at other times it just seemed a bit fuzzy. That combined with the language and the complexity of the plot did make it hard to understand. I'm guessing it's because it was such a low budget film.

"It seemed sort of fresh in some ways, but looking back on it now it seems that a lot of stuff was lifted from Lynch."
Which stuff?

"The violence of the main character didn't sit that well on him"
I quite liked the way he suddenly came out with punches. I think it did sit fairly well with him as an emotionally damaged outsider on a mission. I thought that he was a fairly damaged character, which is a noir trope I agree.

O

Omaar

IdleRich said:
Which stuff? [was lifted from lynch]

In a few pretty vague general ways: Male protagonist in anonymous small town setting, exposes the seamy underbelly of the community, discovers propensity towards violence within themselves. (I guess I'm thinking mostly of Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet). Using quirky suburban stereotypes in contrast with violence and drug dealing. But in particular, the scenes at the Pin's house, and the house of the brutal thug. The use of objects, and minimal interiors in the Pin's room.

I'm sure I've seen another scene recently where a character reveals something to another character through a whisper that the audience doesn't get to hear. Can't remember though ...

Is it a noir thing to have a character repeatedly knocked unconscious? It seems to signify some kind of psychological rupture, some kind of total repression or inability to cope. Maybe it just originated as a narrative technique to make things seem more subjective and fragmented. I suspect it's not a noir thing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Male protagonist in anonymous small town setting, exposes the seamy underbelly of the community, discovers propensity towards violence within themselves"
I suppose similar theme but I thought done in a different way and with a different emphasis. In this there is no "overbelly", everyone is aware that there is crime and whatever else going on. It's more like the blatant "sin city" of a noir film than the facade of white pickett fences hiding the truth that you get with Lynch.

"The use of objects, and minimal interiors in the Pin's room."
True enough now you point it out.

"I'm sure I've seen another scene recently where a character reveals something to another character through a whisper that the audience doesn't get to hear."
You're right, but what is it? I'll have a think about that.

O

Omaar

IdleRich said:
["Male protagonist in anonymous small town setting, exposes the seamy underbelly of the community, discovers propensity towards violence within themselves"]

I suppose similar theme but I thought done in a different way and with a different emphasis. In this there is no "overbelly", everyone is aware that there is crime and whatever else going on. It's more like the blatant "sin city" of a noir film than the facade of white pickett fences hiding the truth that you get with Lynch.

Yeah, it's definitely not emphasised, the only bits where it is are in the scenes where Pin's mum is involved - basically anything in the upstairs (the overbelly :) ) of Pin's house. And those were the bits that for me were the most lynchian. She is the only parent who appears isn't she? And there areonly 2 'adults' in the film, aren't there? her and the VP?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"And there areonly 2 'adults' in the film, aren't there? her and the VP?"
As far as I can remember, they are the only two adults who appear on screen (although others are alluded to throughout), and the scenes when they do are mainly played for laughs ("...if you can't help me then I'll see you at the Parents' Evening!").
In a sense though the scene when he meets the VP is the most direct rip-off of a typical noir scene where the police-chief (VP) warns the maverick detective (our hero here) to stay out of their way in the case because they will only complicate matters, the detective of course not having any of it.

rewch

Omaar said:
Is it a noir thing to have a character repeatedly knocked unconscious? It seems to signify some kind of psychological rupture, some kind of total repression or inability to cope. Maybe it just originated as a narrative technique to make things seem more subjective and fragmented. I suspect it's not a noir thing.

definitely a noir thing i'd say... if you read any hammett, chandler or mcbain the detective is out cold at least once per book & in marlowe's case (chandler) often twice or thrice... it occurs usually as a result of poking about in things not understood ('rattling cages' or 'shaking things up' are the preferred nomenclatures) & as long as the detective wakes up it invariably leads to results... brick was on the money in that sense

O

Omaar

rewch said:
definitely a noir thing i'd say... if you read any hammett, chandler or mcbain the detective is out cold at least once per book & in marlowe's case (chandler) often twice or thrice... it occurs usually as a result of poking about in things not understood ('rattling cages' or 'shaking things up' are the preferred nomenclatures) & as long as the detective wakes up it invariably leads to results... brick was on the money in that sense

Oh cool, thanks for that. I'm much more interested in noir all of a sudden. I'd always pigeonholed noir as being about emasculated but still very masculine protagonists and femme fatales and odd angles and lighting. This way of contructing subjectivity and narrative sounds much more exciting. There was an adaption of chandler's the lady in the lake filmed as if seen through the eyes of the protagonist wasn't there? like a precursor to 1st person shooters.

What's the movie where the protagonist is knocked out, and we see it happen from his POV, seeing the punch coming at the camera? maybe it happens in a few things, but i seem to remember it being in a lynch film.

rewch

went to see renaissance last night... only quibble is that the dialogue is a bit wooden... would have been better in french with subtitles... but astounding imagery & an amazing futuristic paris... superb monochrome animation done using actors, so everything defined by shadows... looks lovely, thumbs up all round

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Omaar said:
Really enjoyed Tesis (Alejandro Amenábar, 1996). It has a sort of budget 80s exploitation thriller feeling, but it's quite clever and fun too.

Must say I was really disappointed by that one, Omaar, especially given that it ostensibly lies in one of my favourite genres - the low-budget, nasty horror. When done well ('My Little Eye' was fabulously nasty), it can be transcendent, but I just didn't find it shocking/exciting in the least. But I loved Amenabar's 'Abre los Ojos' - that had style and panche to spare.

DJ PIMP

Fave bits from a recent film fest:

The Science of Sleep
A Scanner Darkly
Thomas Koner's From the Outskirts of Nothing to the Suburbs of the Void
The New World
The White Planet