mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
at least it had a bit of humour to it, like sammy and rosie get laid, my beautiful laundrette etc etc.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's very unrepresentative of the UK, who as a nation I think really laugh alot. Having said that, I laughed alot through the first half of NEDS - me and my Glaswegian mate were sharing alot of the jokes, and I thought alot of Nil By Mouth was very very funny, not the really dark scenes obviously but again the first half. I find it very funny when directors do bleakness and get the observations right, especially within dialogue.

I think the directors who catch it right are the ones who mix the dourness with that really dark, sophisticated, sarcastic ironic humour that's a particularly evolved trait of the UK. I really don't like the bigger Uk directors, Leigh, Loach, Terence Davies, all horrible, but Naked is amazing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I really don't like the bigger Uk directors, Leigh, Loach, Terence Davies, all horrible, but Naked is amazing.
NaKed is definitely very different from (and better than) his other films. Some of the others may have their moments but a lot of it - say, Nuts in May - I find very patronising and cruel.

Lichen

naked = mike leighs best film. ive not seen all leighs films (though another year, though good seems a bit overrated - the couple in that were condescending i thought, not warm and lovely like some critics have made out.

I agree. The woman in particular. I wonder what the director's intention/opinion was/would be.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Some of the others may have their moments but a lot of it - say, Nuts in May - I find very patronising and cruel.

I really rate Nuts in May, that and Naked. haven't gotr much patience for the rest.
'Cruel', certainly, 'patronising', I’m not so sure. i honestly feel that film needed to be made.

gumdrops

its not in the cinemas anymore but if you get a chance to see this film easier with practice, do it. one of the best US indies ive seen in a while (and it is a proper indie) and it has a twist that i really did not see coming. left me with my jaw dropped.

saw biutiful recently which i didnt get annoyed at like i did with babel but if you want to watch misery piled on more misery, albeit without the same level of contrivance as babel and not as manipulative/selective, its worth a watch. mainly for bardem who really is great in it and keeps it going, but also just for sustaining its mood - its a really long film but i didnt feel it was indulgent, it sort of felt right to keep it that long.

i liked black swan a lot. vincent cassell is the man.

luka

i watched a kiwi film called boy which i liked a lot. myabe you might not like it though. its hard to say.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nuts In May is hilarious, I thought. I don't think it's patronising, rather it holds up the terrible patronising man as a figure of fun. I also liked the way he seems to be the source character for the insane toad-fancying uncle in The League Of Gentleman.

Haven't been to the cinema for a while but I quite fancy Black Swan.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Nuts In May is hilarious, I thought. I don't think it's patronising, rather it holds up the terrible patronising man as a figure of fun."
Well, maybe not patronising, bullying perhaps - I just think that the main target is a friendless loser with a sad life and lots of problems, couldn't he go after bankers or something instead? I guess I find humour easier to engage in when its the butt of the humour, if there is one, is a person I somehow feel "deserves" it - eg The Office. having worked in many offices I think there is a certain kind of manager that was overdue a good kicking. I'm not saying that comedy has to have a target like that but when it does I don't generally want it to be someone so defenceless.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ Naked! :cool:

Finally got around to Wife to Be Sacrificed, a typical Nikkatsu kidnapping/rape/S&M+ extravaganza. EXCELLENT!
Queued up a bunch more Naomi Tani flicks.

I've got The Stuff (1985) on top of my TV. Haven't seen this since I was a pre-teen, though I've seen it many many many times. Curious to see what scenes are actually in the film, and which are only in my weird altered memories of it.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I watched Grave of the Fireflies last night. Heartbreaking story. It was refreshing to see an anime grounded in realism. I haven't seen a bad film by Studio Ghibli yet.

Grave-of-the-Fireflies-thumb-560xauto-24189.gif

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well, maybe not patronising, bullying perhaps - I just think that the main target is a friendless loser with a sad life and lots of problems, couldn't he go after bankers or something instead? I guess I find humour easier to engage in when its the butt of the humour, if there is one, is a person I somehow feel "deserves" it - eg The Office. having worked in many offices I think there is a certain kind of manager that was overdue a good kicking. I'm not saying that comedy has to have a target like that but when it does I don't generally want it to be someone so defenceless.

I see what you mean, but 'everyone knows' bankers, businessmen and politicians (and the clergy, military commanders, English aristocrats, Roman emperors etc. etc.) are fundamentally evil, which is why they're the villains in so many films. They're just obvious bad guys. But in Nuts in May you're invited to see this clearly well-meaning man as a miniature tyrant in his own right, especially in terms of his relationship with his wife/girlfriend, who seems to be childishly naive and docile almost to the point of being retarded.

(On the other hand, he does obviously really care about things - a bit too much for his own good, perhaps - and on the whole, people who care about things are a Good Thing and we need more of them, as long what they care about isn't an obnoxious delusion like racial purity or whatever. People who don't seem to care particarly about anything are a scourge of the age, I think.)

Edit: sure thing Dave, it's not *just* a comedy, but I found a lot of it pretty funny...

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
imo Nuts In May is not just a comedy. the first time i watched it i hardly laughed. admittedly i was off my face and suspended in disbelief at what i was witnessing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I torrented Black Swan and was very enthusiastic about it but in retrospect I wonder if the absurdities outweigh the subtleties too greatly. Then again, I don't think subtlety was what he was going for really, and the OTT effects/camera-work/dialogue works better within the theatrical/absurd world of ballet than in the world of drug-addicts (Requiem for a Dream). I wrote a short blog comparing it to 'The Piano Teacher' (Haneke) http://dirtnap2.tumblr.com/page/4#2886461264

Yesterday I bought Belle De Jour/Fanny and Alexander/Jules et Jim/Porco Rosso and the Kubrick boxset on DVD... I want to watch all of them (+ 'La Dolce Vita') this week/end.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i loved audition, though maybe it was because it was my first exposure to Miike
he definitely draws from the pinku genre films nikkatsu put out (winky-wink)
maybe time to dust off the Angel Guts box (nudge) set