baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Xtro! superb British horror film circa 1983, directed by Harry Bromley Davenport. will have to find out if he's done anything else that's just as decent and imaginative? blown away by the overall direction, casting (Bernice Stegers was class), animatronix, soundtrack (produced by the director lol) and stage FX. the attention to detail was really refreshing to see, especailly within the horror oeuvre, which i find more often than not to inane for my taste.

must check out. well into british horror of that era (well, 80s/early 90s). i always loved paperhouse.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
hm, not sure about it, but there is a French pop song in it tha'ts amazing and I've neevr been able to identify... Scheslinger got way better with Midnight Cowboy and Marathon Man, imo.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Nah...although both those are great films, 'Darling' is a classic exploration of that 60s world...the glamour, greed, celebrity etc

gumdrops

chico and rita

its basically like the story of cuban musicians from the 40s to 90s (or so) but also a great, and pretty sexy at times romance. music is obv amazing throughout.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
The Public Enemy (1931) - Cagney! 'I ain't so tough' - brilliant line as he stumbles in the gutter, rain-soaked, riddled with bullets. His final appearance is absolutely stunning.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Nah...although both those are great films, 'Darling' is a classic exploration of that 60s world...the glamour, greed, celebrity etc

Nonono, it's all a bit slight really. And Julie, bless her for all her charms, is not a good actor, at least in that era. Some of the scenes are great, but there are def better explorations of that 60s world, most notably Performance, I guess.

I like Scheslinger though, in general. He's not a great by any means, but bless him for putting Julie Christie in so many films.

Last edited:

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i got dragged to the Senna documentary last night, it was excellent. i still think formula 1 is tedious tho.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yesterday I watched The Shout directed by Jerzey Skolimowski (the guy who did Deep End) and starring John Hurt. Weird film told by a madman - giving it a classic unreliable narrator twist or two - about a shaman who may possess the power to kill people with a single shout. Very strange feel to the film and some rather adventurous camera movements and weird noises (Hurt plays an experimental musician) add to this. Ending was a bit confusing to say the least but it's well worth checking. And it's definitely the most exciting stuff I've ever seen happen at a cricket match.

the-shout-1.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yesterday I watched The Shout directed by Jerzey Skolimowski (the guy who did Deep End) and starring John Hurt. Weird film told by a madman - giving it a classic unreliable narrator twist or two - about a shaman who may possess the power to kill people with a single shout. Very strange feel to the film and some rather adventurous camera movements and weird noises (Hurt plays an experimental musician) add to this. Ending was a bit confusing to say the least but it's well worth checking. And it's definitely the most exciting stuff I've ever seen happen at a cricket match.

Didn't rate the Shout, but have you seen the Last Wave? Nails that kind of strange, bizarre Englishness vs Other atmosphere absolutely (and sound design at the beginning is astonishing) - one of the best film ever made I'd say.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Peter Weir thing? Nope but wanted to for some time. Though maybe it's something different cos that's an Australian film.
Re The Shout, it's definitely not perfect so maybe shouldn't say without reservation but I reckon many here would enjoy it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yep, the very same. it is Australian, but the main character (Richard Chamberlain) is British, so it kinda captures that vibe. Monumental film.

gumdrops

etre et avoir. really loved it. doesnt do much but its really lovely. and the interviews with the teacher and the very last shot are unexpectedly moving/dramatic.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Yesterday I watched The Shout directed by Jerzey Skolimowski (the guy who did Deep End) and starring John Hurt.

going to have to watch this - i loved Deep End

going to watch a film called Full Metal Yakuza later. hope it lives up to the title! :D

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno, watched that last week and, maybe it was overhyped or something, but it didn't really do it for me. The start bit was terrible, after about twenty minutes we were looking at each other asking if this film was supposed to be a comedy but, fair enough, it did pick up a bit and had a few genuinely funny bits. I think it needed more work, kinda felt half-finished as though there were long bits that they must have known weren't good enough and they hadn't gone back to improve them.

gumdrops

i liked bridesmaids also. more like an indie film than what i expected from all the hangover comparisons and it did have lots of funny bits (the scene in the jewelery shop with the teenage girl was classic) but it was very character based. the ending was a bit crappy but i was surprised at how 'down' a lot of it was (if i could make one complaint i would say the tone should have been a bit more consistent, esp w/r/t the ending).

got to stop watching films with don draper in them though. starting to really ruin the mad men/draper mystique.

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
I've mostly stopped watching movies (what a waste of time) but to train my French I recently watched Jean Eustache's La Maman Et La Putain from 1973 about a Parisian slacker caught up in a love triangle and it was just great. Had the most non-clichéd characters and lots and lots of witty dialogue.