Big up glitch crew

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, I like the fact SND are pretty down to earth too. Basically happily exploring some outer limit of what dance music could involve aesthetically, with minimum wank about Deleuze & Gittari. ;)

I think Oval's Systemisch is an incredible record, same with Microstoria's Model 3 Step 2... or are the numbers other way round? Anyway, both amazing to listen to. Unlike a lot of the stuff that got presented on the Clicks & Cuts comps and so on, I found this engaging and enjoyable! Not that music should be listened to, of course, it's all about the concept. :p Take that straw man! ;)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
And I reckon SND's third full length, Tender Love, definitely had a garage thing going on. The tempos were much faster than eg. Timbaland, the housey chords were there and the beats were swung to fuck. Timbaland, Neptunes, et al never swing, do they? I mean, not in some hipster sense, but from an anal technical perspective, it's all 16th and 32nd beats?

borderpolice

michael said:
And I reckon SND's third full length, Tender Love, definitely had a garage thing going on. The tempos were much faster than eg. Timbaland, the housey chords were there and the beats were swung to fuck.

oh totally. you could easily mix SND with UK garage. and i'm fairly sure that's no coincidence!

SND are absolute wow.

I spent 2.5 months listening to NOTHING BUT SND last year.

i regularly work to their music.

my favourite digital musicians to ever come out of the UK.

apart from eno. of course.

borderpolice

WOEBOT said:
however if you rate oval you should definitely check out the monoton: monotonprodukt07 CD from (gasps) 1982......

i really like monotoprodukt07, but it feels quite different rhythmically and
soundwise from oval. more drone-y, less click-y. less glamorous

vache

WOEBOT said:
i must have said this a thousand times (so excuse me for being a bore!) :)

however if you rate oval you should definitely check out the monoton: monotonprodukt07 CD from (gasps) 1982......
Oral records in Canada reissues this and I picked it up from them...it is really incredible. It sounds like an incredibly austere version of the Moebius, Roedelius records on Sky. I definitely hear the Basic Channel connection, esp. on the first cut, also in the general "livingness" of the effects chains. I suppose the early Oval connection is the fetishization of the technology being used with track names like "Sawtooth," "Hz Waltz" and "soundsequence."

Thanks for the tip, Woebot!

fseq

functionalsequence
Mark Fell's solo release on 12k is pretty nice.

so it is. i still love his secular musics of south yorkshire project though - ie. the one where he reworks the human league's "reproduction" album. the shirt trax cd on or, the .h 12" on hobby industries and the (more recently compiled) blir cd on raster-noton are also well worth picking up.

mms

sometimes
monoton

matts right about monoton product

you can get it direct here on remastered cd
http://www.oral.qc.ca/eng/catalogue/index.html

was listening to this almost b/tb with space machine which is masonna (jap noise nut) 's deep analogue headfuck project, a bit like those twink lost tapes if anyone knows that...
we were feeling a deep sense of inertia after that!