Indie Rock or wot?!?

h-crimm

Tim F said:
I really liked Glass Candy's "Sugar & Whitebread" (abstracted Blondie-meets-ESG shimmering post-punk-disco, basically a femme vox version of "Me & Giuliani Down By The Schoolyard") but then i bought the album by them which preceded it and wasn't terribly impressed.

Glass Candy are extremely variable............ and the records that they actually put out arnt always that representative of what theyre doing. i think thier label had to hold them down and force them to put out an LP.
Whats properly good in my opinion is the tour demos they put out on home made cdrs (tho post-punk=disco is getting a bit old... and if you have an implicit hatred of this kind of revivalism it aint gonna be for you anyway)

i can send rips out to people who are interested, some of them are noisy, some of them are 100% echo fake dub, some of them are heavily cleaned up disco... did you hear the newer single 'IKO!'?

the main musician in Glass Candy just joined Chromatics to play keyboards and thier new demo is very much in that disco manner, rather than the drum machine drone post punk thing of the second lp... or the riot girlish joy division which was the first incarnation...

Other things i'd go for are Oshiri PenPenz / tenouti yomezou, BARR (obsessive compulsive), gang gang dance, white magic / quix*o*tic, metalux, trin-tran, soft circle, new england roses, spider and the webs, bloodlines, squids

nonightsweats

The M's record due out this year is the best rock based release I've heard in a couple of years. Good -> terrific songs; great guitar playing - lots of overdubs too; orchestral flourishes and occassional avant touches.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
WOEBOT said:
yes been listening to it a fair bit. its grown on me. what i do have with it is a really intensely strong feeling of recognition. like i'm missing some obvious influence. the pixies loom pretty large. but who else? it's one thing in particular (gnashes teeth)

Not Pulp? Someone posted on here a while ago that they sound a bit like pulp, up til that point I hadnt noticed. But yeah... intensely dramatic arrangements; galloping, slighty hamfisted rhythms; straining vocals on the choruses.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
shudder said:
except that pulp was always sly/cheeky, and arcade fire are absurdly earnest!

Know what you're saying, although I thought Pulp were quite earnest - what was good about them was they pulled it off without being po-faced.

But i was referring more to the way their music is structured. Imagine Arcade Fire covering Babies for example, that would fit onto Funeral perfectly.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
what about bright eyes as that missing influence? not that i can stand them.

h-crimm said:
Other things i'd go for are Oshiri PenPenz / tenouti yomezou, BARR (obsessive compulsive), gang gang dance, white magic / quix*o*tic, metalux, trin-tran, soft circle, new england roses, spider and the webs, bloodlines, squids

sadly, i think quix*o*tic has finished and the main woman has started a new group called casual dots who have a record out on KRS.
here:
http://www.killrockstars.com/bands/factsheets/casualdots/

and what's tenouti yomezou, is it connected to oshiri penpenz? my friend told be that oshiri penpenz translates as Arsecheek Smacksmackz.

shudder

Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
Know what you're saying, although I thought Pulp were quite earnest - what was good about them was they pulled it off without being po-faced.

But i was referring more to the way their music is structured. Imagine Arcade Fire covering Babies for example, that would fit onto Funeral perfectly.

I think that there are markedly different standards for earnest in the uk vs. the US :)... but I get what you mean sound/structure-wise. The members of the arcade fire themselves claim to have a pretty funny and wide range of influences, but not particularly the standard indie ones (pavement, sonic youth, pixies)... more with older pop music (roy orbison type stuff), quebec folky stuff, a little theatre/musical stuff.. at least, that's what I remember from interviews and whatnot...

don_quixote

Trent End
so earnest like the flaming lips?

i really like the arcade fire, their live shows are absolutely frantic, none of this all the band in their set positions rubbish, they have people running all over the place!

francesco

Minerva Estassi
sorry i'm probably going out topic here but a while talking about 80's indie groups like felt or smiths or orchids with a beautiful indian girl she insisted that i should try and buy Belle and Sebastian, especially the 2cd of EP... i never care nor ever listened to them, are they good compared to the previously mentioned groups? or are insignificant? should i try or should i use my money for better things (like invite this girl to a restaurant)?

Rambler

Awanturnik
WOEBOT said:
a really intensely strong feeling of recognition. like i'm missing some obvious influence. the pixies loom pretty large. but who else? it's one thing in particular (gnashes teeth)

The Chills - 'Pink Frost'? I reckon Funerals sounds like an album-length rework of that one song.

Woebot

dominic said:
i'm not exactly sure what people mean by "indie," so . . . .

bands that i have mentioned here numerous times =

kudu -- nyc

dom! you caught me off guard there!

;)

h-crimm

big satan said:
sadly, i think quix*o*tic has finished and the main woman has started a new group called casual dots who have a record out on KRS.
here:
and what's tenouti yomezou, is it connected to oshiri penpenz? my friend told be that oshiri penpenz translates as Arsecheek Smacksmackz.

yeah, casual dots are okay... the two billotte sisters who were the two singers in quixotic and slant 6 are now in two different bands. casual dots and white magic, the later is more like the slower black sabbath end of quixotic :)
also i thought casual dots themselves were no more. quixotic are still excellent though.
white magic had a record out last year and an LP is sposed to be coming...

tenouti yomezou is the main singer or something from out of oshiri penpenz (which i heard translated as bottom poopoo... ) he has a solo CDR which i actually prefer to the main band, its uhmm 'more pop' :S... definitely worth gettting if youre into penpenz. i think volcanic tongue has it. maybe.

ohhh yeah i forgot to mention TRACY AND THE PLASTICS. this is the biggest thing ever. you have to see her live (and dont buy the record if youre cynical its a poor relation), wait for her to get over her fear of flying and come to your country cos the live show is just ridiculous. i'm sure people know about her, and i'm sure plenty of people here wouldnt like it but it is probably my number one recommendation for new indie music. (as if you care :))

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
francesco said:
sorry i'm probably going out topic here but a while talking about 80's indie groups like felt or smiths or orchids with a beautiful indian girl she insisted that i should try and buy Belle and Sebastian, especially the 2cd of EP... i never care nor ever listened to them, are they good compared to the previously mentioned groups? or are insignificant? should i try or should i use my money for better things (like invite this girl to a restaurant)?

According to many people they're supposed to be this great indie pop group. I've never been too impressed, however.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
BrokenFist said:
According to many people they're supposed to be this great indie pop group. I've never been too impressed, however.
It depends a lot on your tolerance for tweeness, I think.

Mike Powell

Revelatory
I think B&S made one legitimately great album -- <i>If You're Feeling Sinister</i> -- but sure, if you're not into fey music about social outcasts dealing with naive sexuality and the cruelty of the world, stay away. Though I should say that I think B&S get pidgeonholed/misrepresented all the time; their lyrics are often very difficult and sad, not isn't-the-world-just-peachy or anything.

shudder

"Hilary went to the Catholic Church because she wanted information,
The vicar, or whatever, took her to one side and gave her confirmation"

"if you are feeling sinister.
go off and see a minister,
he'll try in vain,
to take away the pain,
of being a hopeless,
non-believer."