Ambient suggestions

henry s

Street Fighting Man
oh, and Virginia Astley's From Gardens Where We Feel Secure...it scarcely gets more ambient (or pastoral) than that...(I also reckon this would be a great one to nod off to)...one track from this LP figures prominently in Miranda July's Me And You And Everyone We Know...which is kind of an ambient film, now that I think about it...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In honour of the 800x slower Justin Bieber ambient masterpiece (presumably referenced elsewhere here), I reopen this thread.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Can't think of much music I like better than this.

connect_icut

Gosh, so much stuff I could mention here but off the top of my head...

Cluster & Eno - s/t
Vladislav Delay - Anima
EAR - Mesmerised
Brian Eno - Music for Films
Fennesz Sakamoto - Cendre
Gas - Pop
Labradford - A Stable Reference
Popol Vuh - In den Garten Pharoahs
Rhythm & Sound - s/t
Paul Schutze - New Maps of Hell
Zoviet France - Esotre

etc. etc. etc.

franz

a few of the records i sleep to the most:

lots of Eleh these days... the first track off of Location Momentum, Homage to Square Wave, his half of the split with Pauline Oliveiros, his half of the split with Nana April Jun, fifth track from the first Meditations record, B-side of Floating Frequencies II, etc etc. kind of obsessed with the stuff.

CM Von Hausswolff - Operations of Spirit Communication
- Lecture on Disturbances in Architecture
- Three Over-populated Cities Built by Short-Sighted Planners

Eliane Radigue, of course, she is the don. Geelriandre_Arthesis, Biogenesis, parts of the newish Triptych are quite good, Adnos, Trilogie de la Mort, etc.
Steve Roden: Speak No More About the Leaves, the House was Quiet and the World was Calm (with Brandon Labelle), 4 Possible Landscapes
Monos - 360, Window, Generators
Andrew Chalk - East of the Sun is the good one... Time of the Hayfield is one a bit more in line with Eno-esque ambient that is worth checking.
Mirror- Eye of the Storm
David Daniell - Sem (way way way up my fictitious all time records list... the first track is just too amazing)
Brent Gutzeit- Heaven Underground (another drone persie)
Radu Malfatti - Claude Lorrain 1 (totally stretching the definition here, but it's a brilliant piece of minimalism, and very beautiful to sleep to)

some neat tracks on Douglas Leedy's Entropical Paradise record (on an old tip)
Richard Lainhart recommended to me recently--the track Two Mirrors Face One Another was the standout...
David Behrman's Pools of Phase Locked Loops is incredible, just one 10-15 minute long track, but very worth seeking out
dynamically stretching the definition again, but Kevin Drumm's track from a split cdr with Brent Gutzeit, "Einar Mumin parts 1 2 and 3" is probably my favourite thing he's ever done... and has kinships with some of the above
and that one reminds me of Cristian Vogel's remix of Oval's 94 Diskont, which is another anti-gravity show stopper (and of course, the original record is a classic of the genre as well)

prolly enough, hm?

jenks

thread death
Was playing the Foxx/Budd album mentioned upthread, whilst getting on with some marking today and had a kid sent to me to get on with his work cos he was disturbing his own class. He had fallen asleep within ten minutes and I didn't have the heart to wake him.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Heard a few more goodies this year - I reckon the Solo Andata self-titled record on 12k is very good, label boss Taylor Deupree's latest 'Shoals' is also the best thing I've heard from him by a long shot. Both records focus on recordings of live sounds, i.e. very few synths or fx.

Also, Rafael Anton Irisarri's 'The North Bend' is a bit more "cinematic" (with the pros and cons that might connote) but I like it a lot.

More ambience (in the sense of musique concrete) than ambient:
@c - Music For Empty Spaces (Baskaru)
Jocelyn Robert - Monsonics (Hrönir)
Eric La Casa - Zone Sensible 2/Dundee 2 (Room40)

In the beginning of Dundee 2 there's a cool moment when after a bit of low rumbling atmospheric noise you hear an interrogating voice:
"Hey, what are you doing here in the carpark?"
"I'm just recording ... er ... space?"
"Uh huh. Recording space."
Louder atmospheric rumbling.
:rolleyes: :D

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
I asked for Chill Out suggestions referencing the same touchstones as the OP and the recommendations were spot on. Would be nice if that thread and this one were merged, like, for future reference.

Also, Zoviet France "Mohnomishe" (listening to it now)

muser

been listening to the Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto collab album "Insen" alot recently, its lush!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Richard Skelton 'Landings' (Type)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

(Just noticed this is cheap at Boomkat)

Touch records' podcasts:

http://www.touchradio.org.uk/

I've also been listening to Emeralds a fair bit

connect_icut

Seconding the recommendations for Richard Skelton, Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto, Zoviet France, BJ Nilsen and - of course - Oval.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
In the beginning of Dundee 2 there's a cool moment when after a bit of low rumbling atmospheric noise you hear an interrogating voice:
"Hey, what are you doing here in the carpark?"
"I'm just recording ... er ... space?"
"Uh huh. Recording space."
Louder atmospheric rumbling.
:rolleyes: :D

Haha, I once recorded a cathedral's bells, and was wandering around between neighbouring buildings, trying to get good angles, waving a recorder about in front of me. Suddenly a big security guy appeared - I was standing right next to the Ministry of Defence headquarters. :D He was cheery enough, believed my story, just suggested I try somewhere on the other side of the cathedral.

connect_icut

Listening to Type's vinyl re-issue of Thomas Koner's Permafrost. Wow. Remember when dark ambient music was beautiful, rather than ugly? When it was wilderness-scary, rather than horror-movie-scary? Great stuff. Essential.

Listening to Type's vinyl re-issue of Thomas Koner's Permafrost. Wow. Remember when dark ambient music was beautiful, rather than ugly? When it was wilderness-scary, rather than horror-movie-scary? Great stuff. Essential.

Yes, all three Köner reissues on Type are great. Actually more, hmm, lonely than scary? Does anybody still use the term Isolationism for that type of music?