The Artic Monkeys are Stump with a hip producer

Buick6

too punk to drunk
A slight retraction

I was up last night watching MTV on cable and was reasonably hash-stoned and they had a mini-special on the Monkeys..They had them performing that song about 'looking nice on the dancefloor'...LIVE they are a totally different proposition, and coz I only heard their - which I stand by - MEDIOCIRE album, they have become slightly more interesting to me..

LIVE they see like a Pommy band trying to get on that quirky arryhthmic-strummy Strokes/Kings of Leon thang, but also sound very similar to the early Jam, even some sort of Oi! band, and of course that quirky fucken Stump doo-dah..Sorry I don't know all those 'how ya goin' luv' type bands/celebs/journo that you Pom know, so maybe you could have better *cough* sonic references to one -up me with.

But their album has all those shitty nu-punk-Foo-Fighter generic commerical production stylings, which as an artefact of a band that prolly won't be much-of-anything in 3-5 years, marks them as still Shite IMHO.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
mms said:
well 'they' were quite clearly wrong.

Oh I don't know, there's a bit in there - don't you think:) I always figured Mr. Lydon was also a George Formby fan as well, both where clearly influenced influenced by the old music hall stars.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Martin Dust said:
Oh I don't know, there's a bit in there - don't you think:) I always figured Mr. Lydon was also a George Formby fan as well, both where clearly influenced influenced by the old music hall stars.

yeah i was being silly, there is a tiny bit in there in the language, but the monkeys bloke has it in the pitch ,phrasing, lyrics and accent..

daren

stelfox said:
Fishbone?!?!

Yes! I was thinking of the whole ska-punk phenomenon when I first heard their single. Whoever mentioned Snuff earlier is quite dead-on. All we need is a couple of horn players and we've got the Fourth-wave of Ska.

Peak

mms said:
i've said this before but i reckon lyrically and in the singers voice and delivery they have alot in common with george formby, all cheeky winks and saucy comments, course there is the accent too.

steady. you start suggesting that lancashire (formby) and yorkshire have the same accent and the chips really will start flying.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
...or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones or whatever those fat cunts were called but with a Pommy singer.

If the Arctic Monekys eat more burgers and drink a bit more beer, they'd prolly work as another fucken shitehouse Epithaph band!

originaldrum

from start till done
when i first read the title for this thread i thought stump was being used like some negative desciptive, like:

"man that shit is stump"