Smoking Ban

john eden

male pale and stale
IdleRich said:
Good points I must admit. But then again surely smokers wouldn't mind bringing glasses back if it meant that their hobby could stay legal.

No 'cos they are all selfish tossers. ;)

IdleRich said:
What if smoking bars employed smokers or would that run into of some kind of equal opportunities legislation?

I think there is equal opps but also just because someone smokes 10 a day doesn't mean they should be exposed more of a health risk throughout their shift.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think there is equal opps but also just because someone smokes 10 a day doesn't mean they should be exposed more of a health risk throughout their shift"

OK - and I admit this is getting a bit stupid, what if there is a bar owner who runs his own bar single-handed, smokes a hundred cigarettes a day and wants people to smoke in his bar (if they like)?
What I'm saying is that there are people who want to smoke in bars and people who want to allow them to smoke in their bars, should the government be getting between them?

john eden

male pale and stale
IdleRich said:
OK - and I admit this is getting a bit stupid, what if there is a bar owner who runs his own bar single-handed, smokes a hundred cigarettes a day and wants people to smoke in his bar (if they like)?
What I'm saying is that there are people who want to smoke in bars and people who want to allow them to smoke in their bars, should the government be getting between them?

errrrrrrr.... possibly not. He may also have super-babe robot staff like on Westworld? Or maybe even undead Zombie staff? That would be awesome!

I myself would have to think very hard about whether the risk of being exposed to cancerous smoke outdoes the sheer coolness of being served a pint by a robot version of one of Russ Meyer's vixens...

But there are also cleaners, people making deliveries, so I dunno.

The fact remains that in most pubs this isn't the case.

D7_bohs

one thing to watch out for - in the immediate aftermath of the smoking ban being introduced here, it was a shock getting used to the - previously masked - smell of people in pubs - sometimes nearly worse than tobacco

henry s

Street Fighting Man
you all know exactly where this is headed: self-service pubs, pints, drinks and food doled out by vending machines, which will have retina scanners to verify age and breathilizers to check blood/alcohol levels...all music handled by jukeboxes, sprinkler system kicks in when fights break out...

(that Westworld comment got me thinking about this)...

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
droid said:
They police it with a combination of fines, inspectors, and general mean-spiritedness/indignation on the part of the snitch-happy non-smoking public...
What amazed me about the smoking ban in Ireland was that it actually seemed to be happily observed by most smokers. I think I saw one person try to light up the last time I was home (and he got told to put it out in about two seconds). Wasn't there an incident where a pub was found to be serving after hours due to smokers congregating outside after last call?

It took about six months for enough bars and clubs in NYC to start ignoring the ban that it no longer made that much of an impact on going out. There are still plenty of places that are smoke free, but they tend to be the kinds of venues that have a large security staff and preppy / fratboy / B&T clientele. Anywhere small and even slightly divey with music worth hearing and anywhere with a door policy designed to make hipsters stand in line generally turns a blind eye after midnight.

martin

----
A FAIR PUB COMPROMISE

No smoking (suits me cos I always fall off the wagon when drink's involved)

AND

No children / sofas / Australasian bar staff

bassnation

the abyss
henry s said:
might I add:

No baseball caps

and while we are at it, can we also ban pub djs playing deafeningly loud funky house drowning out any conversation other than the kind of red faced shouting that drunken people like to indulge in?

henry s

Street Fighting Man
bassnation said:
and while we are at it, can we also ban pub djs playing deafeningly loud funky house drowning out any conversation other than the kind of red faced shouting that drunken people like to indulge in?
too right...I'm sick of getting inadvertently spit on during conversation...(well, I'm pretty sure it's inadvertently)...

dominic

Beast of Burden
i'm totally opposed to the smoking bans -- and i only smoke socially

i actually have an entire (err, half-baked) theory on this subject

but i think that smoking has all kinds of cultural meanings -- and very much belongs to the night, to the culture of the night (and of modernity)

health is not the one and only consideration -- it's a philistine measure

and if you say the bans are "democracy in action" -- then whatever happened to protecting the right of the minority to do as they see fit at the margins, in their own corners, in their own bars and clubs

HOWEVER, the one benefit of smoking bans is that it allows a ready compass for determining the best bars and clubs = the places that defy the ban and allow smoking

mms

sometimes
it might improve beer gardens as a result of more people being forced outside.

that's an unexpected possible bonus..

D

droid

dominic said:
and if you say the bans are "democracy in action" -- then whatever happened to protecting the right of the minority to do as they see fit at the margins, in their own corners, in their own bars and clubs

HOWEVER, the one benefit of smoking bans is that it allows a ready compass for determining the best bars and clubs = the places that defy the ban and allow smoking

But that right doesnt really exist in our societies does it? I cant go out to a crack club tonight and have a few pipes, or go to a brothel (legally at least). There are already restrictions to liberty when it comes to behaviour that is judged to harm others, and IMO smoking in enclosed public spaces crosses that line.

Smoking kills about 5 million a year... the only other drug that competes in terms of mortality is alcohol... its always struck me as strange that widespread use of such a dangerous substance is so widely accepted and vocally defended... ...almost a tyranny of addicts.

D

droid

:D Some of my best friends are sinners - I just dont think its fair to expect others to pay for those sins...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"But that right doesnt really exist in our societies does it? I cant go out to a crack club tonight and have a few pipes, or go to a brothel (legally at least)."

But you should be able to.
Thing is, people should be allowed to do what they like as long as it doesn't harm others. Smoking by itself does not intrinsically harm others although as John Eden pointed out it can harm people in the same environment. It seems to me that there ought to be some way to allow people to smoke without people who don't choose to breathe their smoke breathing it and a total ban on smoking in public is heavy-handed.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
IdleRich said:
But you should be able to.
Thing is, people should be allowed to do what they like as long as it doesn't harm others. Smoking by itself does not intrinsically harm others although as John Eden pointed out it can harm people in the same environment. It seems to me that there ought to be some way to allow people to smoke without people who don't choose to breathe their smoke breathing it
You mean like not letting them smoke in enclosed pubs and clubs?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I'm just a lousy Australasian, so don't have any place in a bar :p but in NZ the smoking ban seems to have caused little stress.

The venue owners I have heard from who are finding it shit are not those who are running clubs for fringe dwelling extremists or something, but rather those who have old pubs where a middle aged drinking crowd have always met in the late afternoon to get pissed, smoke some ciggies and have a chat. Anyone under 40 doesn't seem to have got fucked off about it.

The big change I noticed is that you can smell a lot more, so if you're standing in a room full of predominantly men talking shit and drinking beer, you know all about it. Likewise if you're surrounded by people dancing near you, particularly anyone with their arms above their head, you know about that too.

I dunno, I've never been a smoker, so maybe I'm missing out on the culture nuances. I do find it funny that many of the same people who rave about the health benefits of it are the same who bitch about health being a lousy argument for the illegality of any other drug. I guess it's not making a substance illegal though; it's not supposed to be protecting the health of the user, but those around them.