Piece on pirate radio in Friday's Guardian

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Blackdown said:
Surely the existence of so many pirates suggest that mainstream FM radio is massively unrepresentative for huge parts of inner city society?

Magic FM, Heart FM, Capital FM... station after station of bland, narrow advertiser-focused, monocultural, unrepresentative broadcasting. Pirates are the real voice of the people!

Magic, Heart, Capital etc are the voice of the mainstream... which is totally fair enough. It's what most people want to listen to.

The voices of the innercity are ignored by the mainstream precisely because they're in the minority - there's no money to be made, which necessitates pirate radio. So at the moment, everything is as it should be.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i disagree that inner city londoners make up a small minority of london's population. furthermore why should their needs be ignored just because they're either poor or in some kind of minority?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Blackdown said:
i disagree that inner city londoners make up a small minority of london's population. furthermore why should their needs be ignored just because they're either poor or in some kind of minority?

Is it A Good Thing though that legal stations should cater for the more experimental markets, with all the commercial pressures that would follow? I mean not everyone who is an inner-city Londoner likes grime.

Look what happened to Kiss - a slow death from legal air date to its terrible state now.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Blackdown said:

My point is that their needs are being met by pirate radio. They're being ignored by the mainstream, but who gives a shit about that really? It would be daft for there to be a big FM station purely for innercity grime heads - there simply aren't enough fans to make it financially viable. As Logos says, not everyone who lives on an estate is into grime. FM is wide reaching, and expensive - it makes sense for stations to play accessible, mainstream material, which is what the majority want to hear, and which will help them cover their costs.

Pirate radio is perfect for all the grime fans and innercity dwellers in London - they're compressed into small spaces, big tower block estates, so can all pick up local channels, and the fact that these pirate stations are defined by their locality can be potentially very beneficial to a community - someone in this thread, or possibly even in your piece on pirate radio, I can't remember, was talking about youth group events and community activities being organised and sponsored by pirate radio - you'd never get anything like that with a big FM station that was trying to appeal to everyone in London, or even the whole country.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
UFO over easy said:
Magic, Heart, Capital etc are the voice of the mainstream... which is totally fair enough. It's what most people want to listen to.

The voices of the innercity are ignored by the mainstream precisely because they're in the minority - there's no money to be made, which necessitates pirate radio. So at the moment, everything is as it should be.

It's not such a great status quo for the people running the pirates, who are risking thier money & their liberty to do it. And the only reason all the mainstream stations sound the same is because ofcom dont police their remits effectively.

I agree though, that it's hard to see how pirates could be integrated without taking away thier edge.