Recent Jungle Albums

Kuma

The Konspirator
Tate said:
God you sound like Jess. While I agree that the Bassbin Rare Grooves comp was fantastic, I fail to see the appeal of the Violence crew material.

And while I realize that the reference to "jungle albums" in the thread's title points more to ragga jungle and breakcore, one would be remiss not to mention three very solid dnb 'artist' albums from the past year: Klute's No One Is Listening Anymore, Deep Blue's Metropolitan Chic, and Calibre's Second Sun.

Though of course 'albums' in jungle/dnb aren't typically representative of what is fulminating beneath the mainstream radar (e.g., Macc, dgoHn, Sileni, Mav, Polska, Jason oS, Martsman, Fracture & Neptune, and so on - it's a long list).

Doesn't Breakage have an album due out on Planet Mu this year though? 0=0?

Great minds think alike? ;)

I've been playing material from the Violence camp for years, it's what happens when you come up on the sf drum and bass sound. I still enjoy pulling out Ultrasonic Sound to fuck with the kids

I'm waiting on the D-bridge album, the SKC album and more klute too...

Also the forthcoming Goldie album with a great deal of the material engineered by tech itch. Metalheadz continues to do it.

Cyantific album on Hospital should be pretty dope. I'm enjoying the miami bass influence on the tune "ghetto blaster"

Breakage album is due on Bassbin, with the cd version threatening to have a disc of downtempo material too. As for 0=0...whenever Jason finishes it....but what i've heard will be most worth the wait.

Last edited:

tate

Brown Sugar
Kuma said:
Breakage album is due on Bassbin, with the cd version threatening to have a disc of downtempo material too.

Oh right! Entitled This Too Shall Pass, if I recall correctly. In any case, will be looking forward to it. :)

Last edited:

Don Rosco

Tate said:
Oh right! Entitled This Too Shall Pass, if I recall correctly. In any case, will be looking forward to it. :)

There's a couple of tracks off that on my Feb 15th show, it actually starts with one of the downtempo tracks if you wanna give it a whirl. I'm a touch biased, being one of Bassbin's residents, but the album is sounding superb.

dubplatestyle

Everyone should sound like me. ;)

The one comp. no one's mentioned yet is Paradox's Drumfunk Vol. 1. I underrated this at the time, mostly because it's all stuff that'd been released already/caned into the ground, but every track is a blinder.

I am pretty sure you can still download the Inperspective Knowledge cover CD at Inperspective's site. Which everyone should do if they haven't heard it yet. (I listen to the Knowledge cover CD Bassbin mix way more than Rare Grooves too.) You can also get all the Technicality sets. The Fracture and Neptune from this month ends with a dubstep tune. :eek:

Other stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet: Troubled Waters, Clever's Breakbeat Science mix.

Sileni, Equinox, and 0=0 ALL have albums scheduled on Planet Mu apparently this year. (If Jason ever finishes, of course. ;) ) Kinda amazing how Mu have somehow become the most visible/well distributed player in left-field dnb. (Well, if the records actually come out...)

http://www.breaksblog.biz continues to be a good place to suss out decent mixes. (I've especially enjoyed all the Fanu mixes, Dissident's "Spare Senses," and the two 0=0 sets.)

I really do need to start paying closer attention this year. Hit the coalface and start digging out singles.

Pendulum is cack but anyone who disses Fresh will get stepped to.

ripley

On the ragga side, check the label Press Up Records , a lot of good stuff coming out there soon, and Mashit of course.
(labels sound like a cooking class).

There's a cat called ERS-1 part of the Raggabot crew who makes some amazing tunes that I think aren't yet released except on his own mixes, try here.

I do like that drumfunk thing quite a bit as well.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
dubplatestyle said:
Pendulum is cack but anyone who disses Fresh will get stepped to.

Sorry Jess but great deal of Pendulum's sins (placing sonic values over emotion, shitty trance riffs, pompus prog arrangements etc etc), Fresh (their label boss) is guilty of too.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
confucius said:
still navigating through old Congo Natty. that stuff has aged spectacularly well.
CONGO NATTY!
CONGO NATTY!
CONGO NATTY!

Oh and Mashit stuff is excellent.

Last edited:

Don Rosco

john eden said:
Is the Ray Keith "Dub Dread" mix CD any cop?

Having not listened to it, I can only guess. My guess is, it's pretty weak. Ray Keith has been responsible for some particularly watery dubby Drum and Bass recently. Basically a two step with a reggae sample over the top. I'd listen to it before i'd listen to me though.

john eden

male pale and stale
Don Rosco said:
Having not listened to it, I can only guess. My guess is, it's pretty weak. Ray Keith has been responsible for some particularly watery dubby Drum and Bass recently. Basically a two step with a reggae sample over the top. I'd listen to it before i'd listen to me though.

I did check out some samples online which didn't seem all that - thanks for giving me one less thing to think about! :)

dubplatestyle

oh i know fresh is a big cheesy, cheeky monkey, martin. i just dont care. i figure anyone who enjoys lil jon or pcp-style gabba can get something out of fresh. (on the bad side i guess you could throw nu-metal and pop-emo in there too. ;) )

Kuma

The Konspirator
john eden said:
Is the Ray Keith "Dub Dread" mix CD any cop?

All he seems to be doing is versioning the same goddman records...if i hear another version of terrost or chopper...

Octopus?

ripley said:
Dimmu Borgir?

or is that Metallica with the trans-siberian orchestra fronted by cookie monster.

If you think Shagrath sounds like Cookie Monster, you must have had a completely unhinged version of Sesame Street out your way...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Blackdown said:
Sorry Jess but great deal of Pendulum's sins (placing sonic values over emotion, shitty trance riffs, pompus prog arrangements etc etc), Fresh (their label boss) is guilty of too.

Make that all of them.

Check Fresh's new tune - it's fucking hilarious. 80s cheese rock riff sampling drum and bass for cokeheads! It sounds like the theme tune to a new Top Gun movie..

http://www.pezholio.co.uk/Fresh_-_Nervous_Hype_rip.mp3

ripley

Octopus? said:
If you think Shagrath sounds like Cookie Monster, you must have had a completely unhinged version of Sesame Street out your way...

well I'm not on first name (?) basis with him (?) but actually come to think of it the cat in dimmu borgir sounds a bit more raspy and cookie monster's got a bit more rumbly bassy depth.