My frustration with Dn'B listeners in the states

bassnation

the abyss
michael said:
Anyone trying to emulate musical dullards like Paradox is certainly not being innovative and fails on the accessible front too.

this statement about paradox really needs challenging.

i've got some great tunes of his on reinforced which are both accessible and innovative. can't comment on the copyists, but calling him a musical dullard is wide of the mark.

give me his tunes over the current crop of shite any day of the week.

jungle IS beat science. if you take that away and remove the subbass, its not jungle, simple as that.

geto.blast

snap on rims
What i ve noticed on the eastern side of north am. is the massive re-vival of Ragga-Jungle but not of the Congo-Natty kind, the more hardcore stuff like bong-ra, krinjah etc etc.

you know: breakcore meets jungle inna fruity loops.

for the kids that "other" jungle stuff is way out of date.

bassnation

the abyss
geto.blast said:
What i ve noticed on the eastern side of north am. is the massive re-vival of Ragga-Jungle but not of the Congo-Natty kind, the more hardcore stuff like bong-ra, krinjah etc etc.

you know: breakcore meets jungle inna fruity loops.

for the kids that "other" jungle stuff is way out of date.

bong ra isn't really jungle. it doesn't come from the same scene. its more part of the idm thing i'd say.

i'm not saying i dislike it, but its not really that funky and more about noise.

its like an approximation of what jungle sounds like from someone whos just had it described to them but hasn't actually heard any real recordings.

geto.blast

snap on rims
bassnation said:
bong ra isn't really jungle. it doesn't come from the same scene. its more part of the idm thing i'd say.

i'm not saying i dislike it, but its not really that funky and more about noise.

well for all the complaints i see on this board that d'n'b is now dull and sucks i m surprised there s not more interest in the new crop of ragga jungle records. Bong-ra is a bad example , i should ve said Krinjah, 0=0, 16armedjack etc etc.

Bong ra is just a big white dreadlocked poser who is just really good at the "marketing" side of music.

bassnation

the abyss
geto.blast said:
well for all the complaints i see on this board that d'n'b is now dull and sucks i m surprised there s not more interest in the new crop of ragga jungle records. Bong-ra is a bad example , i should ve said Krinjah, 0=0, 16armedjack etc etc.

Bong ra is just a big white dreadlocked poser who is just really good at the "marketing" side of music.

i haven't heard the others - you've got me interested now. where do they come from?

i don't appreciate breakcore as much as i should, because i keep looking at it from a jungle perspective, thinking to myself "this groove would be great if they just got rid of all that distortion" ;)

I've recently been playing warm up sets of Jungle and older DnB at a club here in the UK for a warm up set of an hour or two. The club plays new DnB mostly but the older stuff goes down alright. Here is a studio mix of some Jungle to enjoy: :)

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1UUBC078A7SOU28R50NOOJZP15

1. Don’t Play – B-Jam
2. Yo’ Son – Dope Skillz
3. Radical (DJ Kane Remix) – Black Star
4. Blue – Mental Power
5. Music’s Hypnotizing – Aphrodite
6. Bomber – Aphrodite
7. Lets Go (Remix ’96) – Potential Bad Boy
8. Rock The Funky Beat (Urban Takeover Remix) – Natural Born Chillers
9. Volume 1 – Keen
10. Don’t Change – Swan-e & Undercut
11. Da Bass II Dark – Asylum
12. Phyzical (Vintage Remix) – Ray Keith
13. Sing Time – Terrorist/Type II
14. King Of The Beats – Aphrodite
15. Raw Dogs Relik – Dream Team

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
dreamscape11 said:
1. Don’t Play – B-Jam
2. Yo’ Son – Dope Skillz
4. Blue – Mental Power
6. Bomber – Aphrodite
9. Volume 1 – Keen

some classic funtime dnb tunes there alright :)

D

droid

bassnation said:
i don't appreciate breakcore as much as i should, because i keep looking at it from a jungle perspective, thinking to myself "this groove would be great if they just got rid of all that distortion" ;)

Thats my main complaint as well - nasty production and noise for the sake of it... taking one tiny facet of jungle and exaggerating it for novelty effect... It doesnt help that the few artists capable of decent production either indulge in masturbatory compllexification (Venitian Snares), or are inconsistent or less than prolific (Aphex and Squarepusher) - Jungle and ragga vocals need space and a bit of silence to breathe IMO

That DJC/Gregory Issacs thing is probably the only breakcore related thing Ive heard recently that I rate...

geto.blast

snap on rims
droid said:
It doesnt help that the few artists capable of decent production either indulge in masturbatory compllexification (Venitian Snares), or are inconsistent or less than prolific (Aphex and Squarepusher) - Jungle and ragga vocals need space and a bit of silence to breathe IMO

that s like old people bcore, i m talking neu school stuff!!!

Kovert , I-sound , Krinjah , the Toronto bcore massive etc ..

and Venetian snares is just Yngwie Malmsteen re-incarnated.

C

captain easychord

geto.blast said:

i can see the resemblence for sure

yes the ragga jungle vibe is running it still in toronto (where i'm from) and montreal.

mms

sometimes
geto.blast said:

i really liked his 'god of hellfire' record which was like a prodigy circa firestarter meets his breakcore style.
infact alot of breakcorey stuff, like later panacea etc is pretty popularist.

i think breakcore is different from the neo-junglist sound but it's easy to confuse the two .
breakcore is excited about noise and speed - which is a kind of logical outcome of rave's and dark jungles phantasm stuff.
neo jungle seems to be an update of jungle - sped up to today's high speed with all the abstraction of the original sound removed - its just ragga accapellas over heavy drums and cranked sub... which is where the noise comes from.

from breakcore the best possible outcome was dj scud and isounds incredible wasteland project, they just stopped that stuff and did one album and then october which was a really incredible album.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
dreamscape11 said:
I've recently been playing warm up sets of Jungle and older DnB at a club here in the UK for a warm up set of an hour or two. The club plays new DnB mostly but the older stuff goes down alright. Here is a studio mix of some Jungle to enjoy: :)

1. Don’t Play – B-Jam
2. Yo’ Son – Dope Skillz
4. Blue – Mental Power
6. Bomber – Aphrodite
9. Volume 1 – Keen

Man does that shit bring back memories. Thanks!

D

droid

geto.blast said:
that s like old people bcore, i m talking neu school stuff!!!

Kovert , I-sound , Krinjah , the Toronto bcore massive etc ..

LOL.. I know - thats the point I was trying to make - the new kids dont have a clue (or dont care) about production, and the old bods are great at production, but coming from a totally different vibe. Neo-breakcore seems to be defined by its use of distortion and noise, gimmicks and novelty samples, and overrall low production standards... oh - and tons of cheap appropriation... I dont think breakcore will ever produce such a sublime marraige of reggae and breaks as say Psykis' 'Pretend' on Deejay for example - the best it seems we can hope for is a distorted version of 'hitman' pitched up to infinity... (with notable exceptions of course)

Luke Viberts probably the only old skool head to break the mold with the excellent and well-produced Amen Andrews series (though thats a bit conservative by todays standards as well)...

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
from breakcore the best possible outcome was dj scud and isounds incredible wasteland project, they just stopped that stuff and did one album and then october which was a really incredible album.

october was fantastic. they took some of the breakcore techniques (which they came up with originally) such as grating machine noises, crackle and distortion but slowed it right down making it powerful, dubbed out and spacious. still listening to it now.

also loved their mix cd - suprised at the selection, no breakcore whatsoever but lots of hip hop, dancehall, jungle and even some dubstep in the form of kode9's excellent sign of the dub.

apparently they've done another one now - anyone heard it yet?

bassnation

the abyss
dreamscape11 said:

this looks great thanks mate - hoping you won't have exceeded your download limit by the time i get to it :)

just gathering some tunes to do a 5th old skool rewind mix myself. was thinking of using ableton live this time, if it didn't mangle the beat mapping for jungle tracks so much. i don't think the algorithim can cope with highly complex rhythms.

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
october was fantastic. they took some of the breakcore techniques (which they came up with originally) such as grating machine noises, crackle and distortion but slowed it right down making it powerful, dubbed out and spacious. still listening to it now.

also loved their mix cd - suprised at the selection, no breakcore whatsoever but lots of hip hop, dancehall, jungle and even some dubstep in the form of kode9's excellent sign of the dub.

apparently they've done another one now - anyone heard it yet?

yep one of my fave recent albums they've taken a route out which is possibly the best thing they've done, just when the genre started to move up in record buyers perceptions .. risky but a pay off.

the new one is finished and out soon i think..

dreamscape11 said:

1. Don’t Play – B-Jam
2. Yo’ Son – Dope Skillz
4. Blue – Mental Power
6. Bomber – Aphrodite
9. Volume 1 – Keen