Music Not Music

Leo

definitely the necks: try their mosquito, drive by, silent night or aquatic cds. all single 60+minute tracks that subtly transition from ambient to gently/quietly melodic piano/bass motifs, all repeated endlessly with very slight variations over time. great soundtrack-type stuff, perfect for listening at the crack of dawn.

also on the minimal piano tip (a recent fav of mine): terre thaemlitz "die roboter rubato" (solo piano kraftwerk covers that you'd barely recognize) and "corduroy road" by goldmund.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I stumbled upon Fieldtriqp's "Faded EP" the other day.
Impressive ambient free goodness - from Experimedia
(there's bound to be more on this site but I haven't trawled through it all yet).

here's the blurb from the netlabel
(I am not a "long-term fan" as I just discovered the guy(?)
and I must admit I have no idea who "Saw 2" (Aphex Twin?) is - searching just throws up some horror movie).

this EP boasts the kind of subtlety and nuance that long-term Fieldtriqp fans are sure to welcome. Opening with the epic 9 minute track "Faded With The Sun" (the EP's namesake), these 6 tracks usher in the most beautiful melodies this artist has ever graced us with. What is presented during the course of these 30 minutes is (and this statement is not taken lightly, mind you) on par with SAW 2 in terms of beauty, quality, inspiration, and accomplishment. Mostly percussion-less, mostly slow-going, this EP will put you in a Nyquil coma. Fieldtriqp has reached a new plateau of sonic mastery with this release.

Last edited:

shudder

hear that on the keith jarret solo concerts tip.

ima hitting the bed now (time zones and whatnot), but I can't get PiL's Poptones outta my head(phones)... how come everyone's always on about death disco when clearly this is THE ONE?

shudder

confucius said:
but Asmus Tietchens and the like... sooooooo nice. just hums and gentle layers of static. fine grains of grey-scale textures and tiny particles. inexhaustible.

recommendations? sounds perfect (although I must say I'm currently melting in loveless...)

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
funnily enough i just saw the necks play live a few days ago while extremely tired... kept drifting in and out of sleep. very very strange experience.

i listened to this a lot when i was writing my thesis:

http://www.live365.com/stations/usyugana
Online Ambient Radio Station - Live365 Internet Radio - macryuhan!!

a bit weak sometimes but overall quite nice to drown out the honkies chatting loudly on their mobiles and 2nd years trying to pull together group projects...

zhao

there are no accidents
shudder said:
recommendations? sounds perfect

there are a lot of sound-art, tone-poem, clicks n' drone type things floating around, but it's sometimes hard to find works that are BOTH interesting, innovative, AS WELL AS extremely REWARDING in terms of listening experience. things that are uncompromising and rigorous, yet GORGEOUS at the same time.

the following is a list of artists that immediately come to mind whose work consistantly satisfies, with not a single weak release that I have ever heard. I buy anything I find by these people without hessitation. the brief descriptions of their pallete are very, very basic, and in no way represent the totality of their various projects:

Asmus Tietchens - pure tones and sparse digital debris, microscopic yet supple, mostly cold.

Stephen Mathieu - deep horizontal sound scapes, sometimes wrapped in static. warm.

Steve Roden - gentle sound works, lovely and sweet. very warm.

Akira Rabelais - beautiful original compositions and digital manipulations of things from Eric Satie to extinct forms of Icelandic funeral songs. deeply emotional, usually with a sense of profound loss and sadness.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
shudder said:
ima hitting the bed now (time zones and whatnot), but I can't get PiL's Poptones outta my head(phones)... how come everyone's always on about death disco when clearly this is THE ONE?

I don't hiding in this foliage and peat
It's wet and I'm losing my body heat

great record :D

Don Rosco

minikomi said:
funnily enough i just saw the necks play live a few days ago while extremely tired... kept drifting in and out of sleep. very very strange experience.

I had the exact same thing happen to me at an E.A.R. gig a few years ago - I have to say, it really made it an utterly memorable experience. I felt ENTIRELY different afterwards, like i'd been thoroughly cleansed. An Aural Enema!

Great recommendations in this thread, cheers chaps.

Droid, if I was to track down one or two Bioshpere releases, which ones should I go for?

shudder

confucius said:
there are a lot of sound-art, tone-poem, clicks n' drone type things floating around, but it's sometimes hard to find works that are BOTH interesting, innovative, AS WELL AS extremely REWARDING in terms of listening experience. things that are uncompromising and rigorous, yet GORGEOUS at the same time.

the following is a list of artists that immediately come to mind whose work consistantly satisfies, with not a single weak release that I have ever heard. I buy anything I find by these people without hessitation. the brief descriptions of their pallete are very, very basic, and in no way represent the totality of their various projects:

Asmus Tietchens - pure tones and sparse digital debris, microscopic yet supple, mostly cold.

Stephen Mathieu - deep horizontal sound scapes, sometimes wrapped in static. warm.

Steve Roden - gentle sound works, lovely and sweet. very warm.

Akira Rabelais - beautiful original compositions and digital manipulations of things from Eric Satie to extinct forms of Icelandic funeral songs. deeply emotional, usually with a sense of profound loss and sadness.

thanks! i'll check some of these out!