Are pure Garage sounds still being made?

Tim F

2-step is back sorta, a lot of it as an outgrowth of the bassline scene - e.g. DJ Q plays a lot of this stuff.

What interests me is that (Dem 2 aside) the sound that has been revived is garage at its most artificial and sugary and 2000-pop-crossover primed, the foundational text seems to be the Sunship remix of "Flowers". And indeed Sunship's been smashing it with some very similar remixes of stuff like Alex Gaudino's "What A Feeling". But yeah, it's all muscular beats and "Show Me Love" basslines, plasticky and sparkly. The very opposite of "future garage".

Benny Bunter

cribbed from an ilx thread (Tim why you no share the goodness over here more often?)

Makes all that Whistla-curated stuff sound so dull. Will be checking some DJ Q sets out next I think.

Leo

first two were good contributors, Paul went off in a huff after his music became (more) shit.

Leo

yeah, that was him, scuba. he transitioned from putting out dubstep records to shitty tech house (or something) and got all pissy when people said it sucked.

luka

but also like joe muggs he had far right political views. very pro america and so on

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
j1WuI.png

catalog

Vaguely remember that name. I thought a few days ago that maybe dubstep might have a revival soon like jungle did a few years ago, but I'm not sure it will really.

Last edited:

muser

It's funny how 90% of the producers / label owners / djs on this forum slowly got lost to the sands of time