Listening to music survey (when, where , for how long and how)

mms

sometimes
morning in the kitchen portable radio while i make sandwhiches/ do washing up/ drink coffee quickly - a serendipidous mix of whatever station strikes my ear.

i'll listen to the ipod if im late on my way to work as noone will generally be on the train with me.

work - i listen to music all the time usually on the stereo .

when i come home i try and listen to music in the living room, maybe piss about on the turntables until i feel hungry , which is when i listen to rinse fm, also listen to it when i'm washing up.

i would like to listen to music more in my living room on the stero more but my girlfriend usually wants to watch some rubbish telly, so i end up in the bedroom, reading and listening to cds or the radio.

don't have a car so none of that..

weekends listen to music for about 3-6 hrs of the day - this is in someways cos the flats are awash with music so usually it's in reaction to some lovely dovey r and b playing from the lady downstairs or some dido type shit from the people next door. i also like pissing about on turntables then too, and if any friends come round usually piss around on the decks with them too.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I do a lot of iPod listening on my commute (1 to 1.5 hours a day depending on the trains, 5 or 6 days a week depending on work = 6 to 8 hours a week. Call it 7 on average).

I listen on my computer while interwebbing also (probably about 5 hours a week with music...many more hours interwebbing though). Would be more, but my girlfriend is usually watching TV and gets cranky if Survivor is interrupted. If she's away, music might well be on for the entire evening.

Will generally log one or two loud superstarbedroomDJ sessions a week (2 to 4 hours a week. Call it 3 on average).

Will go out to hear live music / DJs at least once a week, sometimes 2 or more times (probably about 6 hours on average).

Music playing while friends are over during the week or on weekends (about 4 hours).

Soooo... Total average listening time per week: around 24 hours (14% of the week)

Of that, 14 hours (59%) listened to on my own.

shudder

Leo said:
i work from home, so music is on most of the day...if not cds, then wfmu. also tend to do some listening in the evening if the misses is otherwise distracted, and occasionally while outdoors on the discman (no iPod).

in defense of stereo systems: just got a new pair of relatively high-end speakers and i have to say they make for a whole new experience. i think i've been getting into lots of fonal/fahey/jack rose/neo-folkie stuff (espers, vetiver) lately simply because the acoustic guitars sound so great on a proper system with good speakers. of course, i also use it to enjoy my fair share of noisy low-fi wolf eyes/japather/magik markers/a-frames, etc.

yeah, i'd love to have a proper stereo system at some point.. most of my listening is through not excellent (not terrible) computer speakers, or my decent and clear headphones. but i do loves sound quality. I guess when I grow up...

polystyle

Just got to this ...
Hmm
When - with morning tea & coffee /computer session : 1-2 hrs.
afternoon computer session : 2 or more hrs.
night session : 1-2 hrs.
like this about 3-5 days a week , maybe a bit less on wkends
Out at a club , concert , show : once every few weeks , then a few hours worth
Weekly - a few times monthly , we do group music making jams for DCC
Couple times a month or so I go upstate to Paul Geluso's Studio to do more music
About 10 times a year in friend's car RT for day hikes upstate

Where - at home
occasionally at friend's place
Music making sessions here at my place
Upstate Studio (latest in an array of Studio's used )

How - on my Yamaha mini componant system
(luv the speakers , smaller versions of the ones used as monitors in Rec Studio's)
on the computer speakers (small Sony's)
headphones
Studio System with multi speaker set up (TV speakers/bigger Yamaha's/ Bigger subbass speakers)

No i Pod , like to have head somewhat clear when out , freetime for my brain,
gotta watch the traffic and deliverymen on bikes going the wrong way .
Also being I work in music , sometimes I just do not want to hear anything for a time .

Walkman - yes, and I use it sometimes for DCC/ the last 'Bi -Conicals' Tour shows so I can play the old tapes loaded with FX , just plug in and rock wit it !

Sony portable CD Player - plays my CDR's , CD's when I'm @ home , the one in the system died last year .

bruno

est malade
before and after mp3s i've listened to music practically all day. now it's probably more than before, what with the amount of new music that gets sucked into my computer. and i don't leave the house. realistically i'd say 8-10 hours a day of music!