favourite recent grime lyrics

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

gumdrops

the JME lyric about MIA is cool, even if he didnt want to drop (or couldnt remember) her name and just called her 'that indian girl'

Blackdown

nexKeysound
hint said:
Am I imagining things, or does Wiley have a lyric that says:

"I'm not urban
Ask Matthew Herbert"

?

Wiley and Herbert know each other, amazingly. Herbert played keys on PAUG's 'Champagne Dance' due to a fluke of rented studio proximity. he might have been involved with the engineering it too i forget.

hint

party record with a siren
Blackdown said:
Wiley and Herbert know each other, amazingly. Herbert played keys on PAUG's 'Champagne Dance' due to a fluke of rented studio proximity. he might have been involved with the engineering it too i forget.

Top facts - thanks!

h-crimm

"there's so many stiff feet out in the crowd"
and
"i dont think raves have gone worse, i just think people are shy to dance first"

anything that comes out of snipekeedo, "it is garage at the end of the day"
and devlin. especially when its (hormonal voice shaking) talking about his nan, or his boys :)

and longish time................... "i come quick like first class stamp"

S

simon silverdollar

h-crimm said:
"
and devlin. especially when its (hormonal voice shaking) talking about his nan, or his boys :)

that reminds me of that great wiley lyric off 'all the time' [big tune!], where he goes:

"my nan says 'stay away from harm'
i say, 'nan, beef to me is just a larf"

there needs to be more grime lyrics about nans.

mpc

wasteman
Scorcher:

I'm tryna get a little mixtape sellin' / Help my little sis with spellin' / Sell class A for the day, pray cats ain't tellin'/ I come from a good family so my parents think I'm rebellin'

Scorcher's got loads of good lyrics. Skepta's deeper bars are erm...deep too.

benjybars

village elder.
HMGovt said:
Wiley, WD25 "can't test me or skepta, come to your ends like Achilles and take out Hector".

Didn't know he was into classics. Maybe he just saw Troy on DVd.

yeah, those bars are massive... also like his 'johnny' narrative bars; 'johnny's goin on like he can't be touched, dunno who told him he's so rough, cos on road there's always a badderman...'

benjybars

village elder.
there needs to be more grime lyrics about nans.[/QUOTE said:
yeah, nan lyrics are always good.. probably the best bar ever is trim's 'got a piece in the guardian, and nan - thanks for the cardigan' :D

viktorvaughn

Blackdown said:

Now that is cool. I have a lot of time for Herbert actually. I could imagine him being interested in dubstep and grime, given the variety of his ouevre so far! I saw him dj and banging house set and he was very professional, knew what he was doing yet still was loving the tunage. And his new matmos-esque stuff is pretty good.

benjybars

village elder.
mpc said:
Scorcher:

I'm tryna get a little mixtape sellin' / Help my little sis with spellin' / Sell class A for the day, pray cats ain't tellin'/ I come from a good family so my parents think I'm rebellin'

Scorcher's got loads of good lyrics. Skepta's deeper bars are erm...deep too.

Skepta's deeper bars are indeed deep, although he says 'back when a bottle of coke was 99p for a litre' ... I swear a litre of coke is still less than 99p for a litre?

Wrong

Sausage fest

Not super recent, probably (we're isolated out here in California), but I kind of like the trend for incredibly childish filth. Various lines in Bruza/Bearman's "Bangers," and there's a track that Discarda guests on (a Narstie track, maybe?) which I'm thinking may be the first time the expression "tit wank" has been used on a record.

benjybars

village elder.
wiley - 'i got this one turkish bredrin from school, we're cool, his family are gangsters'

I think that line is DEEP! Doin a project for college at the moment on turkish community in london and that line's been in my head all day.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah definitely JME, got lots lately:

"Microsoft word, that's you/You're a nerd/stop MCing/Go to the shops/have a drink" What?!?

Sick.

Also, 'SWIIIIIIING, BANG HIIIM!!!!!!'

from Tempah T (is this his correct name?)

And an all time favorite from Skepta:

'Draw for the ting in the tesco's bag and I'll make your white t-shirt look like a japanese flag'

Oh my days.

And his 'deeper' bars, as well.

Jam's got a cool new lyric as well for Plasticman's Japan tune, I hope he gets it recorded. A cease the violence type of lyric, sounds amazing on the beat.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Trim's 'thanks for the cardigan' bar is all time top 10, for sure.

And definitely co-sign on Wiley's Troy bars, deep. I used to try to explain to my dad how Mobb Deep and Homer were not that far off.

"I'm only 19 but my mind is old and when shit get's for real my warm heart turns cold..."

Classic.

Immryr

I dont think im big but my face is in the guardian,
mums happy and nan; thanks for the cardigan

wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow

agreed. i love that bar so much.

benjybars

village elder.
JME -

'raise my right hand? i'll raise both, spit my whole album under oath'

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!