Paavoharju and Finnish psychedelia.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, it was a collaboration touor between Fonal artists and American artists. I;m not sure if the music will be made commercially available or not, but I'm hoping so...

Difficult to say what you'd like, of course, but I'd check out Kemialliset Ystävät and perhaps Circle's later stuff.

Would have agreed with you about Islaja before Saturday, but her performance really paled in comparison to those of the other two, um, collaborators. Caught between song and sonics but with mastery of neither, I'm afraid to say...

vimothy

yurp
Oh, I do like Circle, but would stick them in a different pigeon hole to Kemialliset Ystävät and the like. Aluk Todolo (weird occult/black side project that still sounds a lot like Circle) is even better.

zhao

there are no accidents
was really into this for a while... bought the box set from this label, and also a bunch of the Jewled Antler stuff which is in some ways similar.

but in the end it gets too muddy, too "jammy", like a (really) stoned and tired grateful dead.

much prefer the more focused and sober and often sparser, but IMO more powerfully psycho-active MO of "main cannon" improvised music. the sculptural forms and timbres more defined, the ideas more clearly articulated.

ISO Orchestra kills this hippie stuff any day of the week.

vimothy

yurp
was really into this for a while... bought the box set from this label, and also a bunch of the Jewled Antler stuff which is in some ways similar.

but in the end it gets too muddy, too "jammy", like a (really) stoned and tired grateful dead.

much prefer the more focused and sober and often sparser, but IMO more powerfully psycho-active MO of "main cannon" improvised music. the sculptural forms and timbres more defined, the ideas more clearly articulated.

ISO Orchestra kills this hippie stuff any day of the week.

Dunno about that. Is there really that much difference?

zhao

there are no accidents
Dunno about that. Is there really that much difference?

this stuff is less "rigorous" and less "pure" than canonical improvised music, in the Derek Bailey / AMM sense.

sometimes it feels like the musicians are not REALLY listening attentively to eachother and responding with the summation of their abilities -- and more or less just "jamming".

the folky and "hippie" elements and references to song-form are what kind of muddies up the experience sometimes for me... like Tower Recordings or Jackie-O Motherfucker... but of course other times it's nice.

vimothy

yurp
I saw Volcano the Bear a few years ago at the Grapes in Sheff and they were absolutely fantastic, lots of space and attention to detail, even when playing conch shells and duck calls. Kept switching between intruments and forms -- Spanish-style free jazz one minute, Dead C noise rock the next -- while maintaining an element of theatre/ritual that really kept the audience entranced. Plus it was for the collective run by that old blind dude who plays the basson like a wild man and jammed with Bailey. (I've forgotten his name too). Point being, there didn't seem really that much distance between the two scenes, IMO. Certainly VTB were more interesting than watching two aged pianists tinckle around on keyboards for an hour and a half, which was the (more trad improv) support.

zhao

there are no accidents
I saw Volcano the Bear a few years ago at the Grapes in Sheff and they were absolutely fantastic, lots of space and attention to detail, even when playing conch shells and duck calls. Kept switching between intruments and forms -- Spanish-style free jazz one minute, Dead C noise rock the next -- while maintaining an element of theatre/ritual that really kept the audience entranced. Plus it was for the collective run by that old blind dude who plays the basson like a wild man and jammed with Bailey. (I've forgotten his name too). Point being, there didn't seem really that much distance between the two scenes, IMO. Certainly VTB were more interesting than watching two aged pianists tinckle around on keyboards for an hour and a half, which was the (more trad improv) support.

well that sounds great and i'm all for blurring or completely doing away with genre borders, but there is still often a discernible, and sometimes big, difference in approach and dynamic and sound and experience.

IMHO the younger psych/folk/improv people would do well to take some lessons in economy, scope, agility and just pure musical fucking juju from old school improvisors.

BareBones

wheezy
Apologies for reupping my own thread, but was anyone at the (semi-) Fonal gig on Saturday at the ICA (the Approximately Infinite UNiverse tour)?

I really wanted to go to this but couldn't make it. Seen ES twice now but never any of the others, gutted i missed it. ES live is magical, proper hairs-standing-on-end bizness. Saw him at another no-signal event a couple of years ago in st giles church just off tottenham court rd, he played by candlelight, purely organ/vocal loops and fx, it was mindblowing. I wish his stuff on record was more like that... i do love his albums but the live stuff just really hits the spot for me.