who's going to check david banner tonight

gumdrops

stelfox said:
it's hardly a "mr loverman" song, it's track about shagging, plain and simple. don't really see it as cynical, it just does what a lot of hip-hop does, rinsing out a theme/production style.

yeah, thats what hip hop does, but its just that the idea of banner trying to be, if not a loverman, then a er, shagger-man, is about as convincing as mike jones making a song about his mensa membership.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
oh come on, it's believable that banner does have sex periodically. mike jones thinking, on the other hand...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
stelfox said:
oh come on, it's believable that banner does have sex periodically. mike jones thinking, on the other hand...

"back then I used to think / but then I went and drank the drink
back then I used to think / but then I went and drank the drink"

mms

sometimes
i like it, it's absolutley unapologetically filthy without being 'bawling at strippers' style get low crunk.
wasn't too impressed with the album overall tho compared to previous stuff.
my fave by him is mississipi chopped and screwed tho his voice and subject matter take really well to being slowed down

Last edited:

DavidD

can't be stopped
I don't get whats with the cynicism, 99% of pop music is biting. I mean I don't think anyone listens to Play any more around here, shit peaked last summer, but as rehashes go it wasn't bad.

btw Dave, Play wasn't just a hit in southern clubs, it was a hit everywhere in the states.

Like the good LL/Jlo song that is basically jd ripping off missy ripping off electro.

gumdrops

DavidD said:
I don't get whats with the cynicism, 99% of pop music is biting. I mean I don't think anyone listens to Play any more around here, shit peaked last summer, but as rehashes go it wasn't bad.

btw Dave, Play wasn't just a hit in southern clubs, it was a hit everywhere in the states.

Like the good LL/Jlo song that is basically jd ripping off missy ripping off electro.

ok, well with that comment about pop music all being biting in mind, i dont think this board deserves its name. and i dont think there should be anymore complaining about new indie bands ripping off old ones, nothing about dance music being a rut, nothing about grime being in limbo, etc etc etc. good music is good music, thats all thats important.

i get what dave means about hip hop often being fad-based, but i think theres a diff between the 'scenius' idea where ideas are exchanged, re-rendered, altered, and then responded to in a circular fasion and people blatantly biting each other. it might sound a bit dated in 2006, but the old hip hop credo was 'no biting allowed' after all. honestly, i find it a tad patronising that people here are so okay with hip hop artists copying. if banner had just 're versioned' the whisper song, and did his own version of it a la dancehall, that would have been fine, but he didnt.

and that LL/j-lo song is just based on a sample of soulsonic force. thats a different kettle of fish entirely, its just sampling an old song. its nothing to do with missy apart from the fact she sampled cybertron on that single she had last eyar.

don_quixote

Trent End
yeah, he was supporting kano in cambridge last night, i rolled up at quarter to 9 and had missed him!! pretty pissed about that, but then he was standing behind us at the gig and he had girls dancing for him which was pretty sick. then later he got on stage with kano whilst demon and dangermouse were on too and it was pretty awesome. i didnt recognise the song tho - any ideas?

kano was awesome, definitely felt better than when dizzee was in cambridge, but i'm not nocturnal and dizzee came on stage at quarter to 2 whilst kano was on at half 9, so perhaps i just felt better, plus dizzee was only one for half an hour.

nobody dont dance no more was pretty awesome, got girls from the crowd on to dance to mylo - drop the pressure amongst others (fuuuck he played a grime track for them that i definitely recognised but only really from an eskimo dance recording i have), and then for signs in life he came down to the floor. he was getting appreciation, but cambridge crowds are so fucking stale, only really went mad for reload it at the end. and nite nite and brown eyes werent really feeling. his live sets are awesome, but he needs to work out how to fit those tracks in, cos the rest of his stuff is pretty aggro and those songs are just pretty out of place halfway through the set and he hasnt really worked out how to break down the attitude he's built up yet