My French Music Thing

Woebot

hamarplazt said:
Magma and Bernard Szajner needs mentioning.

You're in luck on both those counts! The Szajner I had and it was only when Reynolds was teasing me about what I was going to include that I realised that he was French too!!! Lol. Ought to have guessed though cos i picked it up in Marseilles.

You're so right about Genesis! Yes that fateful hour approaches. Though of course then I'd have to give Peter Gabriel all that deferred respek (used to be a huge fan as a thirteen-year old of his first LPs)

Woebot

bruno said:
the mid to late 80s. my father had one in 1983, i think, though it may have been a year later. a lot of people had one. you could browse the phone directory, book train tickets, access erotic hubs (3615 SEXE or whatever), etc. and a very hefty monthly charge if you actually used those services, even in this the minitel was ahead of its time!

very interesting, thanks bruno! i've been quite a slouch when it's come down to socio-cultural currents recently, aware that this is a vinyl-junkie's perspective :-/

and of course we have the french to thank for the Disco(theque).....

Woebot

Ness Rowlah said:
As for Szajner - I had some long and satisfying email conversations with him a year or so ago. Even if his records sold quite a bit (?) he never saw the monies (same old story) and his comeback effort seems to have totally stalled.

Eh up! Sorry about the Opera render!

----

Thanks for your input everyone. Splendid!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Hi Rich! That was really cool to bump into the other night. Very beautiful lady you had accompanying you too. "
I'll tell her that, I'm sure she will be flattered. We both enjoyed the music anyway and had a great evening. I'm sure I will be doing my best to track down a number of the things you played - it's one thing reading about something, another to actually hear it.

"that s Metal Urbain , i don t think hipsters are on to MU just yet , too confusing for most anglo brains :]"
I've got that seven inch that was the first single on Rough Trade...but I don't like it that much, maybe I'll dig it out and give it another go but I seem to remember finding the vocal quite irritating.
What about Jacques Dutronc, Erick Saint Laurent or all that Swinging Mademoiselles type stuff etc? Or is no-one into that kind of thing?

bruno

est malade
by the way, does anyone know the re-release status of the pôle label?

i know an israeli label has reissued the besombes-rizet album, which is ok, but up to now no sign of either pôle - kotrill or verto - krig-volubilis, two amazing records. i would kill for a decent cd reissue (as i do not have a turntable or unlimited funds).

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Matt, I think you're on thin ice with the suggestion that germany didn't produce much electronic music besides Kraftwerk. Schnitzler, Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Cluster, Hamel, Claude Larson, Robert Schröder? Plus loads of lesser known artists. And even if there were as many, or even more, french electronic producers, few of them are known outside cult circles.

Anyway, the Szajner record you really should get is "Brute Reason", a new wave/post punk-ish kinda thing that has a bit of of a Tuxedomoon/Bill Nelson/Numan/Foxx-feel, but with a strange twist that it's hard to pin down. As for "Some Death Takes Forever", you can actually hear the Craig connection I think (especially compared to "More Songs About Food and Recolutionary Art"), but it's pretty uneven, with some guitar playing that doesn't really fit.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
And then there's Hector Zazou ("Sahara Blue" is the only one I've got, decent).
Zazou seems to pretty much have worked
with almost "everyone" of the half-established leftfielders (ie Budd, Sakamoto, Ribot, Hassel, Brendan Perry, Peter Gabriel, Laswell ...) and female vocalists (Anneli Drecker, Lisa Gerrard, Björk, Siouxsie, Suzanne Vega, Jane Siberry, Lori Carson ...).

He must demand some serious respect among fellow musicians.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I liked them, but I'm pretty much fixated on dubstep musically right now, so I won't be rushing out to pick up obscure french LPs :).

Glad to see you're finally getting round to Genesis so long after me banging on about them during The Great Prog Debate :). TUNES mate! TUNES!!

Woebot

2stepfan said:
Glad to see you're finally getting round to Genesis so long after me banging on about them during The Great Prog Debate :). TUNES mate! TUNES!!

I don't remember you saying you liked Genesis ;)

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
WOEBOT said:
i guess there's a kind of evangelical angle to the enterprise that might piss people off. on the other hand does everyone know all about this music already?

(thunderous silence) :p

Are you kidding me? It may as well be from another dimension. I have no idea what these are.

martin

----
Great to see the two Francois' make their appearances - particularly interesting stuff about Roubaix and Costeau! Do you rate Anne Gillis at all?