METAL! Discuss

Leo

Also a mighty cheers to the person who put the Strapping Young Lad up. You basically just pulled a very distant memory out of my brain from my days in high school that would otherwise have been irretrievable.

yeah, diggin' it here too. just realized they do a cover of cop shoot cop's "room 429" as well!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yeah, diggin' it here too. just realized they do a cover of cop shoot cop's "room 429" as well!

What's the original like? I've only ever found a late EP by Cop Shoot Cop, which is quite good but doesn't have Room 429 on it. I believe that songs on a record called Ask Questions Later?

Also a mighty cheers to the person who put the Strapping Young Lad up. You basically just pulled a very distant memory out of my brain from my days in high school that would otherwise have been irretrievable.

My pleasure, it's always good to spread a little Strappy happiness. :D

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"Originally Posted by big satan"

As metal goes, endorsements don't really get much better than that, eh?

Leo

What's the original like? I've only ever found a late EP by Cop Shoot Cop, which is quite good but doesn't have Room 429 on it. I believe that songs on a record called Ask Questions Later?

i really loved cop shoot cop at the time, were kickass live, still like them now but the punk-industrial sound is a little dated. they were kind of low-budget and came up around the time of grunge, so they were a dirtier and less self-conscious version of industrial (as compared to, say, NIN). their first 7" single called "piece man" came in a white sleeve with a drawing of a handgun and was splattered with real pig's blood!

they sounded different because they didn't have guitars (for the first few records, anyway), just synth/sampler/drums/high-end bass/low-end bass. they also had a good smartass sense of humor, kind of like a more rock band version of foetus.

all the records are worth picking up if you find them used/cheap. also not bad are albums by firewater, the less-industrial solo albums by tod a.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i really loved cop shoot cop at the time, were kickass live, still like them now but the punk-industrial sound is a little dated.

Alot of my m8s - who weren't there first time round - really like the dated sound of that industrial stuff, they say it sounds 'gay', but in the good way, not The Strokes way.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Alot of my m8s - who weren't there first time round - really like the dated sound of that industrial stuff, they say it sounds 'gay', but in the good way, not The Strokes way.

Hahaha, if you want gay-industrial, look no further than Nitzer Ebb's That Total Age, the whole album smells of diesel oil, sweat and poppers. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
they sounded different because they didn't have guitars (for the first few records, anyway), just synth/sampler/drums/high-end bass/low-end bass. they also had a good smartass sense of humor, kind of like a more rock band version of foetus.

Yeah, I like the idea of their earlier sound, the EP I have (Any Day Now) sounds quite cool in a sleazy weirdo-jazz-grunge sorta way, but has a guitar in it and just the one bass.
Foetus are also something I feel I should check out a bit more at some point.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Though it took an excursion through a band who self-admittedly were trying to have me end my life while listening to their album, I have finally arrived at the Shining I was actually suggested, and I gotta say this shit is really good. Wow.

Edit: Let me reemphasize that point. Bloody hell.

Last edited:

Leo

Foetus are also something I feel I should check out a bit more at some point.

ah, jim thirlwell, another one of my all-time favs. re: his various foetus releases, all you need are "hole" and "nail," both perfect culminations of his style. some of his other foetus stuff is interesting ("sink" is a collection of OOP singles), but the stuff from the last few years doesn't quite click as well, imho.

his side project called wiseblood (w/roli mosimann) is less complex, more like insane industrial biker rock (think: roots of white zombie); his steroid maximum records are cool soundtrack/jazzy sounding (think: raymond scott) and manorexia is more experimental.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
his side project called wiseblood (w/roli mosimann) is less complex, more like insane industrial biker rock (think: roots of white zombie);

Yeah, I heard of this band, sounds like it would probably appeal given that I'm a big Revolting Cocks* fan. :)

*and Ministry, it goes without saying

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
the week in metal

Ok, ok, you asked for it:

Bongripper
High on Fire
Darkthrone
Bone Awl
Systral
Amebix
Rorschach
Bestial Warlust
Dropdead
Black Witchery
Raate
Khanate
The Obssessed
Godflesh
Neurosis (early to mid-period)
Autopsy
At The Gates
Ildjarn
Esoteric
Wold
Hellhammer
Acrid
One Eyed God Prophecy
His Hero Is Gone
Thraldom
Man Is The Bastard
Morbid Angel (early)
Necros Christos
Leviathan
Sabbat
Twisted Tower Dire
Meshuggah
Reverend Bizzare
Solstice
Pentagram
Crossed Out
OM
EyeHateGod
Mutiilation
Diephago
Mephisto
Lurker of Chalice
Los Crudos
Fucked Up
Youth of Today

poetix

we murder to dissect
Metal

I'm still very into what I call late black metal, the introverted wandering stuff: Xasthur, Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, WITTR. It's "late" in a sort of Harold Bloom-ish sense: belated with respect to the Scandinavian scene of the 90s, both paying tribute to it and completely defacing it at the same time.

The odd thing about Burzum is that it seems already "late" in this sense: there's as much of a gap between Burzum's Filosofem and Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger as there is between the latter and Xasthur's Nocturnal Poisoning. Varg Vikernes is some horrible kind of genius; one of the people interviewed in Soderlind and Moynihan's Lords of Chaos is a pastor who refers to Vikernes as "deep-souled", which is an surprising evaluation for a liberal man of the cloth to make of an extreme Aryan-supremacist, church-burning convicted murderer. But it's true: Burzum's music is seriously powerful, a disconcertingly authentic expression of earthly disgust and spiritual longing.

Also really loving Striborg at the moment: http://surrealdocuments.blogspot.com/2008/01/striborg-journey-of-misanthrope.html#links

vimothy

yurp
I'm still very into what I call late black metal, the introverted wandering stuff: Xasthur, Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, WITTR. It's "late" in a sort of Harold Bloom-ish sense: belated with respect to the Scandinavian scene of the 90s, both paying tribute to it and completely defacing it at the same time.

The odd thing about Burzum is that it seems already "late" in this sense: there's as much of a gap between Burzum's Filosofem and Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger as there is between the latter and Xasthur's Nocturnal Poisoning. Varg Vikernes is some horrible kind of genius; one of the people interviewed in Soderlind and Moynihan's Lords of Chaos is a pastor who refers to Vikernes as "deep-souled", which is an surprising evaluation for a liberal man of the cloth to make of an extreme Aryan-supremacist, church-burning convicted murderer. But it's true: Burzum's music is seriously powerful, a disconcertingly authentic expression of earthly disgust and spiritual longing.

Also really loving Striborg at the moment: http://surrealdocuments.blogspot.com/2008/01/striborg-journey-of-misanthrope.html#links

Ah, Suicidal BM -- the mother fuckin good shit!

It's weird that you say that, though, because I think that Filosofem and even more so Hviss Lyset... (Burzum's best work) are of one and the same substance as Transilvanian Hunger. Xasthur is much, much less interesting.

Are you into any modern Scandi Suicidal BM, poetix? Raate, Tortorium, Satanic Warmaster, all that stuff?

vimothy

yurp
Also had a great idea for a drone-death night called "Bass Materialism" but I've just googled it and I didn't get there first ...