Who or what first coined the terms 'jungle' and 'dnb'?

mms

sometimes
Edward said:
i had a mate who swore that hms & rob elliot from windowsmashers used to frequently say "jungle warriors on a mission" when they were on pirate around 89 or so (dance fm i think). they used to play what was then called "tribal house" which was pretty basic drum machine and synth tracks with NY garage and chicago house influences (anyone got the windowsmashers album on g force records? i'd love to hear it again)

remember when 120bpm tracks with organ stabs seemed like the hardest, weirdest music ever? funny innit?

yep you can come round my house and borrow it if you like
some of their 12"s have a real tropical feel to it too, also check out stuff like plez 'can't stop' that has that same vibe

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
yep you can come round my house and borrow it if you like
some of their 12"s have a real tropical feel to it too, also check out stuff like plez 'can't stop' that has that same vibe

i've got at least 10 old school house tracks that start with jungle noises, bird calls etc - its become as much of a cliche as that space launch countdown sample.

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
i've got at least 10 old school house tracks that start with jungle noises, bird calls etc - its become as much of a cliche as that space launch countdown sample.

sure but the g-force stuff has a kind of direct dub bassline thing and jerky mid 90's dancehall drum sounds those records aren't particulary great but you can hear a ruff ja inspired take on us dance - i guess as well you've got the nu groove stuff by that massive b guy.

then let me see you had the warriors dance label which was mainly tony thorpe etc who was a 400 blows member, rob ital from ital rockers up in leeds blah blah ..

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Edward said:
I'm sure people were saying "jungle" before 1991. Definitely in 1991 I can remember the music on pirate being referred to as "jungle techno" - it was the early breakbeat rave stuff, things like R2R etc. when there was still a garagey element to it too.

i had a mate who swore that hms & rob elliot from windowsmashers used to frequently say "jungle warriors on a mission" when they were on pirate around 89 or so (dance fm i think). they used to play what was then called "tribal house" which was pretty basic drum machine and synth tracks with NY garage and chicago house influences (anyone got the windowsmashers album on g force records? i'd love to hear it again)

remember when 120bpm tracks with organ stabs seemed like the hardest, weirdest music ever? funny innit?

that windowsmashers album sleeve actually reads ' g-force hails the new age of abstract dance' on the back of the sleeve, which is another story.
but it thanks grooverider, colin 's favor and dale, chris energy, fabio, mr c, j j frost, etc ... quite a crowd!
i'm listening to it now and its pretty good, its got a nice skank and is definitley the sound of tracks being faded in and out on a mixer .

nomos

Administrator
re: jungle v. dnb

If it's of interest, here's Fabio and Grooverider with their take on the split in Wax magazine, November 1996.

Fabio: ... It's still a building process, I mean drum'n'bass isn't massive yet. A lot of people think that you can just do a club, call it a dum'n'bass night and it's gonna work. It's not like that. Which is why the new Metalheadz night at the Lesiure Lounge is probably like the biggest drum'n'bass night thing in London. They've brought it to another level, and they've brought the music to the people. No one's really done that beofre really. Respect for doing that. There's no violence or nothing like that. You know drum'n'bass it's not separate, but it's moved away from certain aspects of jungle, and given it to everyone.

Wax: So how do you answer accusations of elitism within the scene?

Groove: Well if that's what we need to do, to avoid the guns and raping and the mugging of the jungle scene, then yes we are being elitist.

Wax: So you don't play the jungle raves anymore?

Groove: Yeah, but only ones with a positive attitude.

Fabio: I don't get asked [laughter]

@mms

ooh yeah I forgot you had that windowsmashers one. i've just got the 12 with the pink label which is kind of rubbish but charming cos you can imagine them in a bedroom with about 3 pieces of equipment they chose at random and none of them can play keyboards but they want to be like mr fingers sorta thing.

yes i must pop round your gaff one of these daze....

so that's jungle.
the term "drum & bass" definitely comes from dub, innit?

dominic

Beast of Burden
picking up on some comments upthread, regarding plez and warriors dance, seems to me that jungle was a term used by lots of early house producers

for instance, the nyc label "jungle sounds" -- joe clausell, adam goldstone -- first release was in spring of 1992

or the chicago house act JUNGLE WONZ -- aka marshall jefferson -- their first release was "the jungle" -- released on trax records in 1986

so as with all things having to do with rave culture, there were multiple origins of (and routes to) the term "jungle"

gabriel

The Heatwave
Edward said:
the term "drum & bass" definitely comes from dub, innit?

well it was definitely used first in that context - whether its use for post-jungle comes directly from that, i guess so, not sure though...

PeteUM

It's all grist
Not sure what relevance this has but I recall my mate buying a Jungle Tekno compilation about '92, which I think wasn't too jungly, or wasn't what we were after at the time.

Also I went out with a girl who had some connection to some Essex crew around Colchester area who had a mixtape called Drum And Bass. I've always wondered about this since the term didn't gain wider currency until several years later. That was '91, I'd say.