Patrick Keiller's 'London'

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There's a link between Pink Narcissus and Black Narcissus (right?) but I'm fucked if I can tell what it is.

I think they're both about the flaunting of sexuality, hence the narcissus reference for the rent boy one? The nun (one of them) in Black Narcissus gets chucked out for being too saucy, doesn't she? Been ages since I seen it, just revisiting P&P at the moment though, I get to that one again in about 5 films time.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
yeah, a Weldon Kees one (didn't know he disappeared) is used as an epigraph in Chris Petit's novel Robinson (Keiller and Petit are quite closely linked, I think). It's all to do with Crusoe, isn't it?

Ah good call, I didn't know about the Petit thing. Damn, I thought I'd inadvertently found a gem of a reference ;).

Yeah I guess it must be the castaway thing, solitary observer stuff. Not read any in depth stuff with Keiller though, have to search some out.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The nun (one of them) in Black Narcissus gets chucked out for being too saucy, doesn't she?"
Something like that I think. Black Narcissus is a perfume if I remember correctly and I'm guessing she uses it. Quite a tenuous link for the film to take half the name though - wonder if P&P would approve.

STN

sou'wester
Also, Dun-DUN-DAAAAAAAAAAA, the list of people who want to be ex-directory and all isolated and anonymous is called 'The Robinson List'. Funnily enough I'm revisting P+P at the moment too. Petit's book is right good if you ask me.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Good bit of Black Narcissus trivia:

The backdrops were blown up black and white photographs. The art department then gave them their breathtaking colors by using pastel chalks on top of them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, it certainly looks amazing but would I be committing a heresy if I said that it's a teensy-weensy bit boring?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
HERETIC!

No, you wouldn't. I kind of enjoyed it, but the emotional content is so buried to modern sensibilities that I found it difficult to follow the link betweeen motivation and action at times.

benjybars

village elder.
did everyone go to the Rio triple bill yeah?

London and Robinson in Space are too good for words.. London is the perfect film!

Robsinson in Ruins was good as well but it was hard getting used to Vanessa Redgrave as narrator. It was also maybe the most soporific film i've ever seen (in a good way)

ifp

was a one-off.

The Robinson in Space book published by reaktion is great too. Fantastic footnotes, and an interview with Patrick Wright (Last Days of London) who later was involved with RIR.

benjybars

village elder.
was a one-off.

The Robinson in Space book published by reaktion is great too. Fantastic footnotes, and an interview with Patrick Wright (Last Days of London) who later was involved with RIR.

yeah was reading the book last night. Reaktion are such a good publishers.

connect_icut

Finally saw San Soleil. I didn't find it boring at all, although it was a bit over-long. Crazy sound design!

It was a criterion DVD, which also had La Jete one it, which I found incredibly beautiful and evocative.

ifp

Shit, meant to post in here.

I'm showing London at Lima Zulu in Manor House tonight, 7.30pm, free. Late notice, but come along if you're interested!

Next Thursday will be showing Robinson in Space, Thursday after Robinson in Ruins.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Whereabouts is Lima Zulu? My girlfriend has just moved to Manor House - although come to think of it I play football every Thursday so I won't be attending any of those events unfortunately. Still haven't seen the last one.