Dubstep Sufferah Mix

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
DubstepSufferah1.jpg

New mix of dubstep, in dub; lotsa edits and FX.

Tracklisting is:

1. 0.00. Coki (Digital Mystikz) - Mood Dub (DMZ DMZ004)
2. 4.14. Digital Mystikz - Jah Fire (DMZ DMZ002)
3. 6.19. Skream - Traitor (Ital ITAL 001)
4. 9.07. Loefah - Horror Show (DMZ DMZ002)
5. 12.12. Loefah & Skream - 28G (Tectonic TEC003)
6. 17.08. Loefah - The Goatstare (DMZ DMZ006)
7. 19.48. Skream - I (Tempa 0.14)
8. 21.39. Digital Mystikz - 10 Dread Commandments (DMZ DMZ002)
9. 25.15. Loefah - Twisup (Youngsta and Task remix) (DMZ DMZ003)
10. 28.19. Skream - Lightning (Tempa 016)
11. 31.43. Vex’d - Lion (Subtext SUB002)
12. 34.31. Pressure Feat Warrior Queen - Money Honey (Vocal Version) (Hyperdub HDB002)
13. 36:50. Vex’d - Angels (from Planet Mu LP Degenerate
14. 48.43. Toasty - The Knowledge (Vex’d Remix) (Hotflush HFRMX001)
15. 44.27. Boxcutter - Brood (Hotflush HF010)
16. 39:23. Search & Destroy - Candy Floss (Loefah Remix) (Hotflush HFRMX001)
17: 53:39 Skream / Dizzee Rascal - Midnight Request Line (Grievous Angel Vocal Edit) (Tempa 0.14)
18. 56:34. Loefah & Skream - Fearless (Tectonic TEC003)
19. 1:01.19 Random Trio - Indian Stomp (Cyrus EP Tectonic TEC004)
20. 1:03:21 Digital Mystikz - Anti War Dub (DMZ 007)
21. 1:08:03. Dusk & Blackdown - Drenched (Keysound Recordings IDN001)
22. 1:09:51. Kode 9 & The Space Ape - Kingstown (Vocal Mix) (Hyperdub HYP003)
23. 1:14:30. Eschaton
Ends 1:15:23

Bloggage at http://blog.grievousangel.net/?p=314

To get the URL for the file, mail me. grievousangelsoundsystem@yahoo.co.uk .

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
with a title like that i was hoping for a reggae/dubstep mix (but that can wait- don't rush ;))

check yer in box!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
first d/l from work cut to silence (whilst displaying full playing time) after 20 odd minutes. am trying again now from home.

update: now working. will update (first 20 minutes is busy & good)

Last edited:
G

grosun

ta for that!

pure darkside at some points; went down very well.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Glad you liked it people.

Sufferah seems to be going down a storm, more interest in this than anything since Lyric Maker.

Still plenty available and it's now on BareFiles too.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
2stepfan said:
Glad you liked it people.

been listening to this a lot paul- 'kin ace, although a very minor personal gripe (although that's too strong really) is that on occasion the sparseness of the 1/2 step stuff (which is a key part of the puzzle for me)gets a little lost- eg. when the skream amen tune (lightning?) drops, the power is lost a little in the mix. but that's just me being a cnut.

however, the effects and stuff on in the first 20 minutes adds tonnes to the tunes though. i am a contrary bugger.

Rambler

Awanturnik
I'm loving this mix. Don't know if all the effects go down well with any dubstep purists, but I'm no purist and I love 'em, and it brings it all back round to dub anyway. That huge wash just before Kingstown at the end is great. :)

Also, I was sort of underwhelmed with Dizzee on Request Line when I first heard it, but in here it comes over much stronger.

Another Grievous Angel keeper.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah, Lightning has weird energy. It's kind of turned in on itself, the fury doesn't quite explode out in the mix from Twisup, which is a very vibey, projecting, break-beaty-tune. I like the effect of making the energy hang back as we build up to the pure rage of Lion, but I take your point.

Some dubstep purists at least really like it -- I've had a lot of emails from people saying they were surprised at liking a computerised "dubstep in dub" mix so much.

Thanks for reppin' on Subvert droid :) .

The original file of dizzee over request line has the track too low in the mix and he's not on top form all the way through, so I layered it over a good recording of the original (with micro-edited FX) and cut up / dubbed up his vocals to make them fit better. I was going to do a mix with two copies of request line going half a bar out of step like Youngsta used to do but I thought it was over-egging the pudding.

D

droid

2stepfan said:
The original file of dizzee over request line has the track too low in the mix and he's not on top form all the way through, so I layered it over a good recording of the original (with micro-edited FX) and cut up / dubbed up his vocals to make them fit better. I was going to do a mix with two copies of request line going half a bar out of step like Youngsta used to do but I thought it was over-egging the pudding.

Thought it sounded a bit better than I remembered... theres a lot of gems hidden in radio sets and the like. I was thinking of doing a grime mix with tons of radio excerpts and mash-ups, but its a bridge too far at the moment.

Im glad somebodys archiving this stuff in the mix though...

Request line juggling would have sounded great! More o that kinda messin please! :)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
2stepfan said:
It's kind of turned in on itself, the fury doesn't quite explode out in the mix

its all about tension innit- we're so used to a (jungle) tune building then dropping like a motherfcuker, i now get at least as much enjoyment from being on the precipice

2stepfan said:
Some dubstep purists at least really like it -- I've had a lot of emails from people saying they were surprised at liking a computerised "dubstep in dub" mix so much.

excellent work paul!

nomos

Administrator
still rocking this one on the regular. really nice work, paul :) the edits are fantastic.