Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Okaaaay Part 2

I was kinda hoping someone would paraphrase it so I wouldn't have to sift through. And I do! I'm sick of mainstream rap at the moment. i wish David Bowie had died in a car crash in 1979 as well.

I actually DID break it down/paraphrase it in my blog entitled "Who Killed It?" that I posted last week (like 5 posts down). The thing about David Bowie is actually odd to me considering that he's on3 of my personal favorite all time non hip hop artists:

1. James Brown
2. Gil Scot-Heron/Last Poets
3. Otis Redding/Stax Records artists
3. Jimi Hendrix/Stevie Wonder
4. Prince
5. Parliament/Funkadelic
6. David Bowie
7. Ray Charles
8. Aretha Franklin/Etta James/Ruth Brown
9. The Police/Janis Joplin
10. Jackson 5ive/The Police

It's a LOOONG LIST. One.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Lol great I'll check it out, I been out of major internet action for a bit, cheers! I'm just thinkin it's all a bit crass at the moment, on the major hiphop scale anyway.

mistersloane

10 pages of google searches and reading your blog and I'm still none the wiser as to any explication by Nas as to why he used the 'same' sample ( different versions of same beat ). Please don't tell me he's said he did it because he liked it or something fucking dumb like that.

gumdrops

i love nas, as someone said in a review of his a few years back, hes thinking even when he doesnt want to. but the new album is basically the same type of album hes been making since stillmatic, a mish mash, some brilliance, but a lot of frustrating WTF moments. a lot of the beats range from okay to crappy, same for the hooks, and i dont know why this is still the case with him. if hip hop is dead (and even 50 cent had a mixtape with that title this year, ironically, like hes one to talk), then this album doesnt do enough of a salvage job. hes still stunning as a rapper, but i had hoped he would explore the title a little more, but he didnt seem to draw blood or get his teeth into it enough. the flow is there, so is the intellect, even the motives, but he doesnt seem able (or motivated) enough to really pull all those great ideas into great songs. ive only heard it twice in the background so far though, i need to give it some more time.

as far as the jay-z collabo, jay sounds like a complete idiot when hes talking at the start of it. that and his jim jones answer back track are both better than 90% of kingdom come though.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Okaaaaay! Part 3

10 pages of google searches and reading your blog and I'm still none the wiser as to any explication by Nas as to why he used the 'same' sample ( different versions of same beat ). Please don't tell me he's said he did it because he liked it or something fucking dumb like that.

As I explained below a couple of posts agao there is a video of the making of "Hip Hop Is Dead" and Will I Am produced it. They explained the usage of the beat/sample in it. After ONE Google search, I found it...at the top of the page...on YouTube:

Nas & Will I Am- The Making Of "Hip Hop Is Dead"

One.

hint

party record with a siren
As I explained below a couple of posts agao there is a video of the making of "Hip Hop Is Dead" and Will I Am produced it. They explained the usage of the beat/sample in it.

Will.I.Am: "Nas is one of my favourite MCs"
Nas: "I had used that [beat] before though"
Will.I.Am: "Yeah?"
Nas: "On my last album"

mistersloane

Will.I.Am: "Nas is one of my favourite MCs"
Nas: "I had used that [beat] before though"
Will.I.Am: "Yeah?"
Nas: "On my last album"

Are they putting stupid dust in the weed in the US at the moment? Or is everyone on prescription pills? Doesn't anyone think about meaning over there? Or talk about it? Jeeeesus.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Soundscan Numbers 12.20.06

Here is a breakdown of all of the rap/hip hop albums in the Top 200 sellers for the week of 12.20.06:

1 YOUNG JEEZY INSPIRATION: THUG 352,392 999 1,147 353,553
13 EMINEM PRESENTS: RE-UP 150,829 -51 308,804 460,989
16 AKON KONVICTED 141,809 20 118,202 818,511
23 TYRESE/BLACK TY ALTER EGO 115,957 999 122 116,081
32 JAY-Z KINGDOM COME 86,730 -15 101,487 1,009,888
38 SNOOP DOGG BLUE CARPET 65,145 -6 69,016 489,252
53 GAME DOCTOR'S ADVOCATE 47,092 -4 49,164 651,072
61 LUDACRIS RELEASE THERAPY 43,649 25 34,874 871,631
71 GHOSTFACE KILLAH MORE FISH 35,891 999 153 36,045
75 LIL SCRAPPY BRED 2 DIE BORN 2 LIVE 33,347 -59 82,159 115,752
76 TUPAC PAC'S LIFE 33,037 -6 34,983 279,900
79 BIRDMAN & LIL' WAYNE LIKE FATHER 30,017 17 25,731 419,882
122 JONES*JIM HUSTLER'S P.O.M.E. 19,406 13 17,133 239,359
130 DIDDY PRESS PLAY 18,821 -11 21,109 426,829
140 JIBBS JIBBS FEAT. JIBBS 16,795 28 13,075 155,484
145 PROJECT PAT CROOK BY DA BOOK 16,175 -49 31,480 47,945
155 CLIPSE HELL HATH NO FURY 14,469 -38 23,175 117,240
163 YING YANG TWINS CHEMICALLY 13,295 -11 14,908 64,411

Ghost opened with some dissapointing numbers...even though he had NO PROMOTION and NO VIDEO or airplay because he didn't have a single! The J Love Hidden Darts III mixtape and the Fish N' Chips mixtape are BOTH better than this album (thanks to Shawn Wigs!). Clipse may be in with Lupe Fiasco for selling shit and making a great album (ahh...just like the good old days!)

Nas is projected to sell between 250,000-325,000 units this week, we'll see what happens...and how badly Styles P "Time Is Money" and DJ Clue "The Professional 3" are gonna flop with ZERO airplay (radio or video) and ZERO promotion. One.

N

nomadologist

everyone's on presciption pills, mistersloane. from the time they're a toddler.

surprised ghostface isn't doing better what with all the indie press pissing themselves over it. oh wait--indie kids download music instead of buying it!

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Slum Village (Elzhi & T3)

This is Slum Village from the Blockstar DVD explaining different aspects of the art of emceeing. Fot hose of you that don't understand the intricacies and nuances of Hip Hop culture...prepare to learn from Elzhi and T3.

Blockstar DVD Vol. 2- Slum Village (Elzhi & T3)

Now THIS ignorant shit IS NOT (I repeat, IS NOT) hip hop in the least...this is why old heads scream that "Hip Hop isn't what it used to be!" shit right here. There is no place for this in a battle...just take the L like a man/woman, and go back to the lab and step your brain game and your pen game up. Here this next clip is in all of it's uffetered ignorant glory:

Rap Battle Gone Terribly Wrong

One.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

shit like that happens when people perceive there is something at stake worth fighting for or about--was there? probably not.

and it's not like there wasn't always violence among the ranks in hip-hop, even at the highest ranks in the industry.

do i need to list examples? nah i didn't think so.

gumdrops

http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=6687

im really glad nas is selling. and im glad everyone is taking it so personal and hes forcing them to think about the album title. hes still the best rapper of his generation, arguably ever, i just wish the songs matched up to what hes capable of more often. on the other hand its sad that someone whos been doing this since 94 is one of the few raising these issues - if hip hop IS to really survive, there needs to be more ample successors to nas. you cant expect a guy on his ninth album to head it forever. hip hops always been about new blood - where are the new nas's?

Last edited:

Precious Cuts

http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=6687

im really glad nas is selling. and im glad everyone is taking it so personal and hes forcing them to think about the album title. hes still the best rapper of his generation, arguably ever, i just wish the songs matched up to what hes capable of more often. on the other hand its sad that someone whos been doing this since 94 is one of the few raising these issues - if hip hop IS to really survive, there needs to be more ample successors to nas. you cant expect a guy on his ninth album to head it forever. hip hops always been about new blood - where are the new nas's?

Seems a little early to say that the album is a sales success. From what I gather that reporter went and saw people buying the CD at a strore and based on that he has reported that it will meet the projected 300,000. I'm not so sure. The ad campaign may have been smart, but the buzz about the album music-wise is pretty negative. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the album will do around 200,000 or less.

As far as the whole hiphop is dead thing... I really don't think that Nas is the one to be making this grandiose statement (hell, 50 cent already did it, and it was way more valid on the front of one of his cds). Street credibility = 0. True school credibility = shakey at best. Illmatic is one of my favourite albums and when I saw Nas perform last year it was one of the best live musical experiences I have ever enjoyed. I have been a Nas fan since Illmatic, and that being said, I will not forgive Nas of the late 90's so easily. He is one of the greatest of all time, but he showed such a complete lack of integrity, made such bad music, and was really such a central part of NYC's decline that I just can't stand to have him of all people be the one to say "Hip Hop is Dead". Busta is qualified to make that kind of statement.. not Nas.

gumdrops

youre right in that nas has been underperforming for so long, even on this album to a degree (though hes been a lot better since stillmatic), so a lot of people lost faith in him, but i think hes not excluding himself from blame in the HHID argument. hes saying hes as much to blame as everyone else. and im not sure who CAN take the higher ground in this sort of thing. not even conscious rap posterboys like mos def or talib.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I STRONGLY disagree

Seems a little early to say that the album is a sales success. From what I gather that reporter went and saw people buying the CD at a strore and based on that he has reported that it will meet the projected 300,000. I'm not so sure. The ad campaign may have been smart, but the buzz about the album music-wise is pretty negative. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the album will do around 200,000 or less.

As far as the whole hiphop is dead thing... I really don't think that Nas is the one to be making this grandiose statement (hell, 50 cent already did it, and it was way more valid on the front of one of his cds). Street credibility = 0. True school credibility = shakey at best. Illmatic is one of my favourite albums and when I saw Nas perform last year it was one of the best live musical experiences I have ever enjoyed. I have been a Nas fan since Illmatic, and that being said, I will not forgive Nas of the late 90's so easily. He is one of the greatest of all time, but he showed such a complete lack of integrity, made such bad music, and was really such a central part of NYC's decline that I just can't stand to have him of all people be the one to say "Hip Hop is Dead". Busta is qualified to make that kind of statement.. not Nas.

ANYONE who remembers was Hip Hop (the culture and music) was like before it went nation and then commercial is more than qualified to make the statement "Hip Hop Is Dead". This would include both Busta Rhymes and Nas (as well as myself since I was born in 1975 and REMEMBER hearing rap were there were NO RECORDS ON THE AIR). Up until 1983 America thought Rap and Hip Hop was a fad...by 1985 they were co-opting it and making movies about the culture they once ridiculed (Beat Street, Flashdance, Rappin', Breakin & Breakin' 2, Krush Groove, Disorderlies, Body Rock, etc.). All of a sudden, the B-Boy's and the graf writer were removed from the hip hop crew and the DJ and emcee remained...why? BECAUSE THEY WERE THE MOST MARKETABLE!

Nas admitted that dumbing down his lyrics to sell better after "Illmatic" (the first "backpacker" album)..what else do you want him to do? Busta Rhymes started "fuckin' niggas up", selling coke and bustin' guns in his songs around 1996 and he was on some Native Tounges shit back when he started out in 1991 so that says what?

Here's an old piece about the making of Illmatic (1992-1994)

One.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
What If....

What If?...Hip Hop Edition AKA Just Thinkin’ Out Loud. A collection of open ended questions regarding hip hop and the direction it would have taken if different things had occured in an alternate hip hop reality from this one. The reader determines his or her own answers.

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=335077

One more AllHipHop.com blog on the 30th and I start my own blogsite up. One.

Precious Cuts

ANYONE who remembers was Hip Hop (the culture and music) was like before it went nation and then commercial is more than qualified to make the statement "Hip Hop Is Dead". This would include both Busta Rhymes and Nas (as well as myself since I was born in 1975 and REMEMBER hearing rap were there were NO RECORDS ON THE AIR). Up until 1983 America thought Rap and Hip Hop was a fad...by 1985 they were co-opting it and making movies about the culture they once ridiculed (Beat Street, Flashdance, Rappin', Breakin & Breakin' 2, Krush Groove, Disorderlies, Body Rock, etc.). All of a sudden, the B-Boy's and the graf writer were removed from the hip hop crew and the DJ and emcee remained...why? BECAUSE THEY WERE THE MOST MARKETABLE!

Nas admitted that dumbing down his lyrics to sell better after "Illmatic" (the first "backpacker" album)..what else do you want him to do? Busta Rhymes started "fuckin' niggas up", selling coke and bustin' guns in his songs around 1996 and he was on some Native Tounges shit back when he started out in 1991 so that says what?

Here's an old piece about the making of Illmatic (1992-1994)

One.

Busta I can respect because he puts out good music, is a hard worker, and seems to overall be a good guy. Nas is an arrogant lazy diva. He has put out mountains of shit and has willfully dissappointed his loyal fans over and over again. I resent his moralizing. This whole Kanye conflicted preacher/sinner poise (how Nas acknowledges his corruption, yet at the same time wants to be some sort of neo-Christian moral authority/martyr ("hate me now")) is just a ruse to make their blatant hypocrisy palatable. It leaves a foul taste in my mouth. The problem is not that they are "sinners" (sell-outs), its the preaching that disgusts me. If you're gonna sell out, then sell out.. just don't turn around and be a hypocrite about it. If KRS was the teacher, then Nas and Kanye are the corrupt born-again Christian ministers of hiphop.

Last edited:
C

captain easychord

i don't think anyone's posted this clip of monie love (and co) vs. jeezy.

Status
Not open for further replies.