Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Of course not!

I agree with every word of what Jeezy says in that interview. He's telling the truth in the politest way possible.

"the concept of hip hop is dead" - "I cannot say that or respect that"

If you were born before 1986-1989 you'll agree with Monie Love, any time afterwards and the concept will fly right over your head...why? Because that generation never experienced what "hip hop" REALLY was intended to be culturally, musically or lyrically...it isn't a dude selling crack that never gave a fuck about any of the 4 elements of the culture that disrespects it by rapping, NOT acknowledging the history or his forefathers and continues to claim he's "not a rapper". See, to people like me that grew up in the tradition of this culture, if you're a hustler and NOT a rapper, THEN GET THE FUCK OFF THE MIC AND LEAVE IT TO THE EMCEES!

That's just how I personally feel...100.3 The Beat in Philadelphia definitely lost a great amount of credibility by firin Monie Love being right/having common sense...Jeezy left of his own accord and because he wasn't smart enough to articulate HIS point of view effectively. AAAAAAAAAAAY! THAT'S RIIIIIIIGHHHHHT!!

To further add to it, even members of Field Mob from Atlanta/GA agree with Nas/Monie Love....here's proof!:

Quote:
While hip-hop is being declared dead by rappers, critics and fans alike, the south has never been so prosperous. Interestingly, Smoke, a proud south representative, agrees that Hip-Hop is deceased.

"Hell yeah, hip-hop is dead," he said. "I'mma tell you who killed hip-hop... D4L and Dem Franchize Boyz. Those are the murderers of Hip-Hop, in my opinion. It was already dying. They just came over and killed it. Nobody doing Hip-Hop is selling records. Lil' Wayne is the only motherfucka doing Hip-Hop that's selling, him and [Young] Jeezy. Hip-Hop is not what it used to be.

"I love D4L and Franchize Boyz," added Smoke. "I love 'Laffy Taffy' and all that shit, so don't get it fucked up. I ain't dissing them niggas at all. They from GA, [and] I'm a Georgia nigga. Me and Shawn [J] we still make Hip-Hop music, but people don't wanna accept it because it got a southern twang. Hip-hop is wordplay, saying something, phors. I love Hip-Hop. I fell in love with Mobb Deep [and] Nas -- these are the people that influenced me. People like Bun B. He's a Hip-Hop artist. MJG, Eightball -- those are hip-hop southern artists. The old south is Hip-Hop. The new south...naaahh!"
full article here:

http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/9219

One.

Last edited:

Precious Cuts

I was born in 1982, and I think Monie Love is full of it. I've been hearing washed up rappers (like Nas, Monie Love, and Field Mob) say hip hop is dead for 10 years. I'm still not buying it. In the early-mid 90's the mantra was "hip hop is dead, its all goons in hoodies, no stage show, no girls, nobody dancing, and nothing for the kids to listen to, hip hop is supposed to be fun and energetic like whodini", Now the same people are complaining about "the stupid dances" and the "kids music". malcontents will be malcontents. nothing is going to change that, and hiphop is full of them. now they are just increasingly old, opinionated and have found a spokesperson.

The way I see it Jeezy and d4l are like modern day versions of busy bee ( "is the cocaine crew in the house? make some noise! let me hear you say blow! blow!" - "If you love coke, one time, let me hear you say: money money money money"). They have little technical skill, but a lot of style. Finally there is a new challenge to Kool Moe Dee's pedantic report card mentality (no disresepect to the man's music) and Busy Bee's amoral party rocking spirit has risen from the grave. I'm glad. It's a breath of fresh air. I like hiphop to be a party, not a school. Busy Bee was as much not a rapper as Jeezy or d4l are not rappers.. did that make him not hip hop? No. Everyone who picks up a mic does not have to be a classic NY "emcee". You can be whatever you want - party rocker, hype man, poet, d-boy representative, hook singer, dance instructor - as long as you have fresh style. These little kids in the south have it, and the old men in New York don't anymore. That's just the way it goes

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yes and no....

I was born in 1982, and I think Monie Love is full of it. I've been hearing washed up rappers (like Nas, Monie Love, and Field Mob) say hip hop is dead for 10 years. I'm still not buying it. In the early-mid 90's the mantra was "hip hop is dead, its all goons in hoodies, no stage show, no girls, nobody dancing, and nothing for the kids to listen to, hip hop is supposed to be fun and energetic like whodini", Now the same people are complaining about "the stupid dances" and the "kids music". malcontents will be malcontents. nothing is going to change that, and hiphop is full of them. now they are just increasingly old, opinionated and have found a spokesperson.

The way I see it Jeezy and d4l are like modern day versions of busy bee ( "is the cocaine crew in the house? make some noise! let me hear you say blow! blow!" - "If you love coke, one time, let me hear you say: money money money money"). They have little technical skill, but a lot of style. Finally there is a new challenge to Kool Moe Dee's pedantic report card mentality (no disresepect to the man's music) and Busy Bee's amoral party rocking spirit has risen from the grave. I'm glad. It's a breath of fresh air. I like hiphop to be a party, not a school. Busy Bee was as much not a rapper as Jeezy or d4l are not rappers.. did that make him not hip hop? No. Everyone who picks up a mic does not have to be a classic NY "emcee". You can be whatever you want - party rocker, hype man, poet, d-boy representative, hook singer, dance instructor - as long as you have fresh style. These little kids in the south have it, and the old men in New York don't anymore. That's just the way it goes

Does everyone have to be great lyrically? No. Does everyone have to be conscious? No. Do we need party rockers? In this age of hip hop/rap do they shine light on ANYONE lyrical or conscious, though? NO. Thus, there isn't any REAL diversity (besides Jay & Nas) as to who gets airplay/radio spins therefore Monie was right and "Hip Hop (as it was intended to be) is dead"

Regardless of popularity or sales, NONE of those "little kids in the South" you mentioned could fuck with an AZ, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Jay-Z, Nas, Cormega, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, Method Man, GZA, Buckshot, Sean Price, Tame One, Masta Ace, Black Thought, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Tragedy Khadafi, etc.

It doesn't matter about where they're from or how good they are (Lil' Wayne and T.I. are both NICE)...the student can't fuck with the master. One.

wreckTech

Wild Horses
dem franchize boyz couldnt kill an instrumental let alone hip hop itself. blame the people spending $18.95 at FYE for that bullshit.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yeah, but....

errr, well, that's not exactly true, given that i was 13 in 1986.

Did you grow up IMMERSED in hip hop culture, though? Or was it another type of music that you heard coming up...everyone is different....it was implied in my meaning that I was referring to hip hop heads and not just "music listeners"...although, to be fair I honestly don't know where you happen to identify yourself. One.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Well, i write about the fucking stuff all over the world, including in magazines you apparently quite like!
Guess that might put me some way into the "head" camp, but, really, what's with all the one-upmanship stuff going on here? It's a bit silly. WTF does it matter if i started listening to hip-hop at the age of 13 or 23, or even 33?
It's utterly moronic to be saying things like "The South killed hip-hop" when it's one of the main regions doing good things and even, as you seem to be completely crazy about this, moving numbers, too - it's not just one style either, but a whole heap of varieties of rap music coming from below the Maso Dixon.
I really don't get this jaundiced, blinkered, true-school view of any kind of music music at all, certainly not music people purport to love and care about.
I also hope to God that plenty of producers and artists from the South, the North, The East and the West consider themselves music listeners, because that's what it takes to make decent music - looking around, feeling your way, drawing on new ideas and seeking fresh directions.
Dart, seriously, it's people with attitudes like yours killing their own very particularly defined style of "real" hip-hop, not the whole game being up.
Your view is the entire reason that New York is for shit right now, as much as you might want to cling to Papoose and Saigon and all your old dudes.
The South, The Bay and wherever is next (I'm putting a small side bet on Baltimore) are all doing just fine, thank you.

Last edited:

gumdrops

can people stop going on about this 80s baby/70s baby stuff please?! its ridiculous. im not overtly enthused about a lot of the crap coming out of hip hop these days, no matter what the region, but i dont know if its fair to say its dead (although this year has really been quite fucking dire from where im standing and you could easily make a case for hip hop up to and including 1996 as being the best years of the genre no matter what region you pick - east, west, south, wherever). but i like the fact nas saying that has got people talking (and the fact that the album content is interesting and hes brought some focus back to lyrical content with 'substance'). its nice to see artists/fans getting riled up, questioning the music and not just being complacent for once. i think only good can come out of starting some dialogue on the subject. if anyone wants to make some good current recomendations of new hip hop, then please do.

as far as new stuff, i like the new ying yang album - shame its got fucking wyclef of all people producing half of it and not mr collipark but all good things come to an end at some point. apart from the 93 til infinity sampling track, the kids in the hall album just bores me mostly. and i really wanted to like it from all the nice stuff ive read about it. the only thing im playing a lot thats come out recently is the clipse album. saw the tracklisting for the lil jon album and it looks too star studded for my liking, i sense an album of awfully epic proportions. the ugk album looks set to be shit btw. it should be out by now i think. im predicting it to be something like the snoop album - 2-3 great tracks, the rest all too easy to send to my trash bin after a few plays (i like to make sure i give albums a fair chance).

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh God! Not again.

Well, i write about the fucking stuff all over the world, including in magazines you apparently quite like!
Guess that might put me some way into the "head" camp, but, really, what's with all the one-upmanship stuff going on here? It's a bit silly. WTF does it matter if i started listening to hip-hop at the age of 13 or 23, or even 33?
It's utterly moronic to be saying things like "The South killed hip-hop" when it's one of the main regions doing good things and even, as you seem to be completely crazy about this, moving numbers, too - it's not just one style either, but a whole heap of varieties of rap music coming from below the Maso Dixon.
I really don't get this jaundiced, blinkered, true-school view of any kind of music music at all, certainly not music people purport to love and care about.
I also hope to God that plenty of producers and artists from the South, the North, The East and the West consider themselves music listeners, because that's what it takes to make decent music - looking around, feeling your way, drawing on new ideas and seeking fresh directions.
Dart, seriously, it's people with attitudes like yours killing their own very particularly defined style of "real" hip-hop, not the whole game being up.
Your view is the entire reason that New York is for shit right now, as much as you might want to cling to Papoose and Saigon and all your old dudes.
The South, The Bay and wherever is next (I'm putting a small side bet on Baltimore) are all doing just fine, thank you.

I wasn't trying to one up you or be an asshole...it was a legitimate question. It does matter WHEN you first came into contact with hip hop culture PURELY from a point of view standpoint (being that I am a hip hop FANATIC)...I was born in 1975 and I grew up in it. You might know a shitload more about it than me, though. I wouldn't dispute that.

I can't help but have a true-school view of Hip Hop culture and it's not going to ever change. I have an aesthetic in mind for the music I PERSONALLY like and that's that.

I don't condone people dissing the South or blaming it for Hip Hop being dead, though...that's just stupid. I won't apologize for liking the Hieroglyphics Crew and Zion I more than Mistah F.A.B. or Andre Nickatina...that's like getting mad at a basketball coach for thinking that Steve Nash and Jason Kidd are great point guards...Doesn't make much sense.

"Real hip hop" is a bullshit term and it's meaning is purely subjective...so the Geto Boys are less hip hop than Das Efx? Is DJ Quik less hip hop than Large Professor? They're both great! I don't personally like Mannie Fresh's production but I know he isn't trash...I'd just rather listen to Ayatollah instrumentals.

Read my blogs...I'm NOT exactly who or what you think I am, Stelfox.

http://www.myspace.com/poisonousdarthfc

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Happy New Year, Dissensus!

I finally started my blogsite! It's here at:

http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com

It will be a mix of hip hop, film. and pop culture related material with frequent updates. I will also upload some of my favorite slept on, rare and out of print CD's from my own extensive collection.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to the Afro Samurai series and subsequent soundtrack composed by RZA himself. Sounds ill.

One.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus

It will be a mix of hip hop, film. and pop culture related material with frequent updates. I will also upload some of my favorite slept on, rare and out of print CD's from my own extensive collection.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to the Afro Samurai series and subsequent soundtrack composed by RZA himself. Sounds ill.

One.
Thank you ! It looks like it will be a great resource.

dayum man -Ras Kass's Goldenchyld-- thanks for that :)

Last edited:

daddek

safe for sharing the beats&lyrics compilations.. if only for "213 to 619 adjacent". SO good hearing that old ATU sound,. Even though it's not Fat Jack on the beat (some cat called Artistic?), it's still got that beautiful 3am South Central Thynk Taynk meloncholy. lovely.

Been on repeat all night..

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yup...

safe for sharing the beats&lyrics compilations.. if only for "213 to 619 adjacent". SO good hearing that old ATU sound,. Even though it's not Fat Jack on the beat (some cat called Artistic?), it's still got that beautiful 3am South Central Thynk Taynk meloncholy. lovely.

Been on repeat all night..

That's one of my favorite all time Abstract Rude & A Tribe Unique songs. My favorite all time being "Something About This Music" off of the Black Whole Styles Big Dada compilation that I'll be uploading on Tuesday. I'll be uploading a lot more joints in the coming months. One.

Status
Not open for further replies.