(Not) taking care of your records

matt b

Indexing all opinion
IdleRich said:
There's a shop down the road from me that, as far as I can tell, sells only frames for putting around your record sleeves when you put them on the wall.

i've got this on my wall.
70p second hand and i live in wharfedale.
so i thought it was allowed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Idle Rich - you must live near Broadway Market??"
Bingo - I'm glad to hear that there is only one such shop.
"i've got this on my wall.
70p second hand and i live in wharfedale.
so i thought it was allowed."
OK, I reckon that's acceptable - but no more do you hear me?

records on the wall

OK I'm hijacking the thread a bit now but what records to people have on the wall then?
I used to have the sleeve for "You Gots To Chill" by EPMD above my desk to help me keep calm whilst doing the accounts.....
(but the record still got played!!)

nomos

Administrator
When I was young I thought it would be cool to have a framed gold record on my wall. So I tried making one with gold spray paint. But it ended up with too many dribbles to be convincing so I don't think it ever made it onto the wall.

elgato

I just dont know
petergunn said:
i DO use zippo fluid to remove price stickers from covers of records, it works like a charm for that...

Ive been wondering about this...a damned mail order store put those horrible stickers which are impossible to remove without leaving a messy glue/paper residue on the bloody centre labels of some of my most precious tunes...but ive been too scared to try anything lest they take off some of the centre label. Would zippo fluid be suitable for this? At all costs i want to avoid tearing/damaging the label. Are there any other ways ppl could suggest?

Re: vinyl care, ive been looking into this, and it seems to be the consensus of those who seem to know best that its all about those static brushes and just water with maybe the tinyest smidgeon of soap...although that thread on dubplates raises ionized water...next level perhaps

Woebot

people say zippo fluid damages the polymers (wtf!)

most of the time under a warm tap (like definitely not too warm) is a really good way.

someone on the thread mentioned soap....i'd NEVER use soap! you couldn't be sure you'd washed it away............

elgato

I just dont know
From what i remember polymer is just a kind of umbrella term for a chain molecule consisting of repeating units...i guess the zippo fluid must contain a chemical that has a minor chemical reaction with the chemical structure of vinyl.

If i remember correctly vinyl is a derivative of crude oil, mad when you think about it, what happens when we've used it all up driving bloody SUVs?! If im misinformed please correct me

petergunn

plywood violin
WOEBOT said:
people say zippo fluid damages the polymers (wtf!)

most of the time under a warm tap (like definitely not too warm) is a really good way.

someone on the thread mentioned soap....i'd NEVER use soap! you couldn't be sure you'd washed it away............

warm water, with a drop or two of dishwashing liquid in it is perfect. you then rinse it in plain warm water. with the amount of dirt on some records, plain warm water is not quite coming to cut it...

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I got a carbon fibre brush on ebay for $10. It won't get dirt off but it's perfect for taking off dust and it won't scratch your records ever (like some cheap felt/velvet brushes). It puts no static on the record either, may even take some off.