V for Vendetta

D

droid

k-punk said:
It was originally in black and white in Warrior comic.... later colourised when released as a stand-alone comic.

Atch! Warrior... a bit before my time Im afraid - but as an ageing comic nerd I really should have known... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"In this interview he goes further than that in saying he wants his name taken off the books he doesn't own as well, and wants to stop earning money from them."
Ta Spackboy, I'll read that now.

"Have you read any of his non-comic writings over the last few years?"
I'm just re-reading Voice of the Fire at the moment. I read it before a few years ago and really didn't rate it but on a second attempt I'm finding it a lot better. I still think that the first story is quite flawed and maybe that coloured my view of the whole thing.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
just saw the movie (on a huge IMAX screen, in a furniture megastore...talk about subversion!)...enjoyed it tremendously...had no history with the comic...to be sure, suspension of belief is a prerequisite with this sort of thing, yet the only thing I couldn't fully swallow was how he would have been able to have hundreds of thousands of masks manufactured and individually mailed to people throughout London...am I being too demanding?

Just saw this last night on dvd. It was alright.

I was left wondering though, if in the book there was any alluding to Evie having been picked for the job or was she just a random damsel in distress. Given that no one seemed to believe in coincidence any more that would seem unlikely ?

So then was Stephen Fry's character in any way associated to whoever V was, as that would imply a sort of set up ?

swears

preppy-kei
I was completely underwhelmed by this, it seemed mawkish and cheesy compared to the graphic novel. The comic is far more ambiguous and well plotted than the film, and V's mask just looks stupid. I noticed quite a few people shedding a tear walikng out of the cinema, which is odd. I'm just hoping Hollywood doesn't mangle Watchmen, although Sin City was pretty good I suppose.

zhao

there are no accidents
so they really ARE making Watchmen... liked V a lot but this will likely be a fiasco.

first I heard anyone say Sin City was good...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched Sin City last night actually - I really enjoyed it. So deliberately stylised that you could forgive the "over-the-top-ness" and the cliches although I'm not sure about some of the morality. I thought that it looked great and it was great fun but I've never read the comics so I can't comment on the way it was adapted from the original.
I think that you're right about Watchmen though - I can't see how it could work.

mms

sometimes
I watched Sin City last night actually - I really enjoyed it. So deliberately stylised that you could forgive the "over-the-top-ness" and the cliches although I'm not sure about some of the morality. I thought that it looked great and it was great fun but I've never read the comics so I can't comment on the way it was adapted from the original.
I think that you're right about Watchmen though - I can't see how it could work.

seen that renaissance film yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_(film)

french cyberpunk detective animation similar in look to sin city.

wasn't keen on sin city, its old fashioned 80's macho comic nonsense really with absolutley no irony, my girlfriend found it unbearable, me too really, the worst aspects of the adult turnaroud that comics had in the 80's amped up to 11.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"its old fashioned 80's macho comic nonsense really with absolutley no irony, my girlfriend found it unbearable, me too really, the worst aspects of the adult turnaroud that comics had in the 80's amped up to 11."
I can't really argue with that. I watched it with my girlfriend and surprisingly (as she hates violence in films, macho attitudes, sexism etc) she liked it as well. I can't justify it beyond to say that it looked good which shouldn't really count.
The way they bled paint reminded me of Beyond the Valley of the Ultravixens.
What's that Renaissance film? If it's something that's just out then I'll probably end up seeing it in about three years time.

zhao

there are no accidents
well the machismo is inherent and central to the entire project. that's all Frank Miller. if you have a problem with that it's like saying you have a problem with the over the top, amped up to 11 "tear jerking" of Romeo and Juliet.

mms

sometimes
if you have a problem with that it's like saying you have a problem with the over the top, amped up to 11 "tear jerking" of Romeo and Juliet.

well thats nonsense, romeo and juliet isn't built just for 'tear jerking' it's an incredible piece of writing and didn't have me crying anyway.
this film is just a big slab of relentless machoism, with not much else going on. female characters are either victims or macho men with tits. some of milllers stuff is ok but it reaches parody levels very often.

swears

preppy-kei
I know this is a common defence, but the violence in Sin City is so ridiculous and cartoonish that you couldn't possibly be offended by it. Maybe the morality is a little simplistic, but it riffed on all the typical hard bitten macho cliches in a really interesting way. You can't think like "If somebody behaved like that, I'd think they were a prick" because it's not set in our everyday world, where violence has real consequences. I feel like creative endevour on the whole would suffer if you could never explore these kinds of themes.

IdleRich

IdleRich
One thing I forgot to mention - it is a bit annoying that whenever a film features an Oirish hard man they have to be in the IRA. Those guys are only on screen for about five minutes but one of them gets to do that little monologue about how exciting it is seeing body parts flying out of an exploding pub.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
One thing I forgot to mention - it is a bit annoying that whenever a film features an Oirish hard man they have to be in the IRA. Those guys are only on screen for about five minutes but one of them gets to do that little monologue about how exciting it is seeing body parts flying out of an exploding pub.

Yeah we noticed that n all, fucking hated Sin City, aside from the homoeroticism of the way it looked.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I think that was actually Frank Millers stupid ass. Seem to remember the characters being in one of the comic books. Will have to dig it up and check.

mms

sometimes

yes it's ridiculous, and just goes to illustrate what i've been saying.

have you ever seen this guy?

tryptych

waiting for a time
Has anyone read Ronin by Frank Millar? It's class.

Ronin is excellent, although quite simplistic in plot. It feels like he's just finding his feet. I also love The Dark Night Returns (who doesnt?) but the sequel to that was a total let down.