Do you play an instrument?

well a little guitar taught from watching tv over the years, natural talent and secondary school lessons and keys from my bro in law and talent again.

maybe in the future I would like to add drums, bass and some percussion from back home or maybe a gourd. A wind instrument sounds fun too. If there was only more time though...

Time is the one thing that can make someone with no talent better than someone with raw talent - I only realised the other day. Just thought I'd add that.

ripley

13 years of classical piano
2 years of violin (I quit when I stopped being surprisingly good for a beginner and actually had to practice)
5 years of self-taught punk/hardcore guitar
10 years of djing in one form or another (i.e. college radio is in there as well as (im)proper mixing)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
i is a drummer

i like to hit things with sticks

never got past the second chord on guitar -- i just like to hit with sticks

djed more off than on since 1985. sadly no way of hitting decks with sticks that works musically

i is a drummer

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
I'm a horrible, horrible guitarist. I gave up on it fairly quickly.

DJ'ing, on the other hand, seems to be something I feel I could have more success with.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
2stepfan said:
djed more off than on since 1985. sadly no way of hitting decks with sticks that works musically

Although not with sticks, hitting the platter of a turntable with your hand while the record is playing is one of my preferred ways to do a reload when I get really excited. It make a pretty shocking (some might say horrible) sound as the needle goes bouncing and scraping around, which for me is a big part of the fun. I still get a thrill out of doing loud things you're not supposed to. Also it looks much more exciting (for my money) than the traditional flick of the wrist.

satanmcnugget

Confucius.

ive played guitar since i was 12-13...classically trained...later studied jazz harmony with an eye toward improvisation...twas my plan to be Johm McLaughlin :)...im a recovering guitar geek

now, my attitude is that if i can get my hands on an instrument, i can play it...it's aaaaalllllll good

seen some people who werent considered musicians in any sense of the word make some of the most incredible music...seen some well-trained and studied robots make second-rate fusion music

to my mind, it's more about INTENT than TECHNIQUE

*ahem* make that JOHN McLaughlin

damn bottle of wine :)

Last edited: