Old Skool Jungle Download - Droid+Slug @ Studio B 040604

D

droid

Right - this ones been around for a while, but, due to popular demand Ive thrown a longer, higher quality version of it up, plus Ive added some irrelevant blurbage.

If youre not familiar wirth these tunes, its your duty to download this!

studio_b_flyer_big.jpg

Tracklisting:

1. (00.00) Rufige Kru - Fury - Moving Shadow
2. (04.48) BLIM - Headspace - Emotif
3. (10.11) DJ Tamsin & The Monk - Better Place (Bay B Kane remix) - Whitehouse
4. (14.10) Hyper-on-E - Ouija Awakening - Moving Shadow
5. (17.52) DJ SS - United (Grooverider rmx) - Formation
6. (23.22) Photek - Seventh Samurai - Photek
7. (28.10) DJ SS - Black - Formation
8. (31.35) DJ Crystl - The Dark Crystl - Force Ten
9. (37.00) Johnny Jungle - Johnny - (Origin Unknown remix) - Subbase

...This set was the culmination of a bit of a resurgence in interest in old skool jungle and hardcore stretching back to the bitter disillusionment with the contemporary scene that set in around '98, and helped along by a bit of disposable income and crate digging. Cynics might say (and I’ve had similar heretical thoughts myself), that the obsession with old skool is pure nostalgias, and an inherently reactive activity opposed to dance music’s fundamental 'forward ever/backward never' ethos. Thing is, over the last 7 years or so of hunting down tunes and arranging sets, its never felt that way - instead we've been excited (to near hysteria at times) by the discovery of a seemingly endless stream of incredible records...

Get it here:

http://www.weareie.com/2006/04/studio-b-memories-droidslug-studio-b.html

Enjoy! And leave a comment if you like it...

(and big up the studio B massive as always!)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Finally got to this.

It's absolutely fantastic.

Deep, groovy, heavy soul jungle, doesn't put a foot wrong and gets better and better through the mix. Most of it is new to me.

All live yes? Awesome. And you say it's the second half? Please say the first one was recorded...

Everybody get on this now while it's still there.

dHarry

2stepfan said:

Deep, groovy, heavy soul jungle, doesn't put a foot wrong and gets better and better through the mix. Most of it is new to me.

All live yes? Awesome. And you say it's the second half? Please say the first one was recorded...

^ says it all; this is up there with Sovereign Rhythms and Paul Meme's recent jungle soul/dub mixes.

Could the sweeping uprising female vocal sample in DJ SS - United (Grooverider rmx) be from Inner City Life?

I keep thinking this 93-95 jungle nostalgia should end, but then another great mix turns up on Dissensus...

Thanks!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I have at least one, maybe two more 94 only mixes planned - and that's without doing any more digging. The amount of good - no, great - music released in that era is just amazing.

D

droid

2stepfan said:
Finally got to this.

Kind words Paul.

Yes it was all done live ('proper' live in front of a room full of people no less!) The first half was recorded, but we (a) weren't 100% happy with it, and (b) plan on rerecording it inna studio-stylee for a full on release with cover etc...

...though maybe you could bribe me with some 3 in 1 oil and ill link you up with the rough version? ;)

dHarry said:
says it all; this is up there with Sovereign Rhythms and Paul Meme's recent jungle soul/dub mixes.

Could the sweeping uprising female vocal sample in DJ SS - United (Grooverider rmx) be from Inner City Life?

I keep thinking this 93-95 jungle nostalgia should end, but then another great mix turns up on Dissensus...

That vocal isnt from Inner City Life - like the backward vocal on SS's 'Ruffige' its just a weird anonymous slice of cheese - cant remember what it says, but its chooped up really strangely. Ill have a look for it and spin it backwards if I get a chance...

The thing about 93-95 nostalgia is, apart from the 'anthems' of the time very little of it has had the archival exposure it deserves... theres a zillion mixes with 'the license' and 'babylon' on there, but fuck all with the more obscure stuff, so like most genres, the surface has been scraped clean leaving the majority of tunes undisturbed...

Id be lamming them out if the stuff wasnt so bloody hard to mix... And dont get me started on the lax quality control of yer average 00's jungle DJ...