gnarles barkley

neupunk

I don't think it matters if a producer is considered "all hype" when he works on something that moves as many copies as that Gorillaz album did. You can chalk it up to the hard work that others did on the same album, but you're still left with the fact that this is popular music that people enjoy despite who's behind the boards and whether he's trendy.

The precalculated argument doesn't really work out when you can read in recent interviews that many of the songs -- like "Crazy" -- were pulled off in one vocal take. This is one reasonably popular producer who has some cartoony and indie rap cache working with a talented rapper/vocalist who has his own cartoon past (i.e. Adult Swim appearances). Claiming it's a precalculated or cynical move is reading more into it than the artists have. I don't think there's anything particularly bad or lacking in credibility about music that has an audience made up of pop fans, indie rock fans, and cartoon fans. Debating about whether it's "worthy" of being liked by hip-hop fans is more pedantic bullshit.

While I can see Geoff Barrow being bitter or disliking this sort of thing, he's not that many degrees removed artist-wise and they really have different goals. Just because his music has some artistic pretensions and what he believes is a pedigree doesn't mean that other music can't have different goals or different influences. To his credit, there is a lot of music that sounds like there's a big "chill-out trip-hop" button, but that's more a function of artists who would list him as an influence not bearing out the intellectual fruit he believes he's seeded -- or he views his music as a conglomerate and not an influence in itself... diluting the source, maybe?

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
geto.blast said:
no , those "in the know" will tell you danger-rat is 99% hype. maybe it's a good project but the man annoys.

I don't think it's a good project.

By all accounts, the album was thrown together in a couple of weeks and it shows. I think that Crazy is a worthy number one single though.

back on planet-for-real-shit: anyone here know anything about "baltimore breaks" ?

On the planet I'm from, it's called Baltimore Club music ;)

Last edited:

hint

geto.blast said:
lots and lots of copies making it to distrubutors even though it was "illegal" ...

Loads of illegal bootleg stuff gets distributed through official channels every month. Doesn't mean that it was licensed:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/215614-01.htm
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/215452-01.htm
http://www.juno.co.uk/search.php?q=crate+savers&x=0&y=0&precision=all&column=all

^ none of those releases are legit.

The Grey Album was in shops before the online hype went crazy. It was only once the first batch had sold out that the media caught on to it.

Last edited:

geto.blast

snap on rims
hint said:
Loads of illegal bootleg stuff gets distributed through official channels every month. Doesn't mean that it was licensed:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/215614-01.htm
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/215452-01.htm
http://www.juno.co.uk/search.php?q=crate+savers&x=0&y=0&precision=all&column=all

^ none of those releases are legit.

The Grey Album was in shops before the online hype went crazy. It was only once the first batch had sold out that the media caught on to it.

yes it s call viral marketing, notice how EMI releases the next rekkid by DM..

"i ripped off jayz and the beatles" , "my daddy is a tamil terrists" ... it's Edward Bernays for hipsters. think about it

mms

sometimes
geto.blast said:

"i ripped off jayz and the beatles" , "my daddy is a tamil terrists" ... it's Edward Bernays for hipsters. think about it

this is all conspiratorial nonesense with no evidence.

i know his label lex were just as suprised by all the excitement as anyone else really.
Emi release his next record as they see him as an investment - lex are still putting out most of his hip hop stuff.

hint

geto.blast said:

Think about what? :confused:

The inital run of the Grey Album had nothing to do with EMI.

Yes, it brought DM to EMI's attention and yes, both EMI and DM have done well out of their relationship as a result. But to suggest that EMI somehow planned it all is pretty wide of the mark, in my opinion.

Last edited:

geto.blast

snap on rims
mms said:
this is all conspiratorial nonesense with no evidence.

ok then the music industry is not marketing to hipster , it s all a conspiracy.

there s never any discussion of anything new here (dissensus) unless it s already been "covered" by the specialized music press.

mms

sometimes
geto.blast said:

i don't get you..
that record came out with no fuss on dangermouses own label

geto.blast said:
there s never any discussion of anything new here (dissensus) unless it s already been "covered" by the specialized music press.

i think the opposite is true really - dissensus almost always covers stuff the music press don't give a fuck about or cover briefly while it's hip.

hint

geto.blast said:

Come on then. Break it down.

You said that the Grey Album "fiasco" was "all a shtick". Your only reasoning behind that statement was that loads of copies got into the shops. There must be more evidence from those "in the know".

Besides... you could have removed all traces of Dangermouse's name from the marketing of Crazy and it would still have sold a lot of records. Given Cee-Lo's success with Don'tCha, there was more than enough "story" going on to get the media and label interest.

geto.blast

snap on rims
hint said:
Come on then. Break it down.

You said that the Grey Album "fiasco" was "all a shtick". Your only reasoning behind that statement was that loads of copies got into the shops. There must be more evidence from those "in the know".

funny how this was hyped for weeks , then the local shops all got enough copies of that record that there was leftovers.

shtick i say. and it s always the same hipsters that fall for that crap.

hint

geto.blast said:
funny how this was hyped for weeks , then the local shops all got enough copies of that record that there was leftovers.

shtick i say. and it s always the same hipsters that fall for that crap.

OK... so what's the "shtick" part? You haven't made that clear.

It got pressed in a run of 3,000. It sold out. The hype went crazy. It got bootlegged.

There's no grand mystery there.

Do you really think that EMI was behind that second pressing? That seems to be what you were implying.

Last edited:

geto.blast

snap on rims
hint said:
Do you really think that EMI was behind that second pressing? That seems to be what you were implying.

no i m implying it was one of many fashionable "mashup" things going around for a while and that hype sold it not, not merit.

as far as bootlegging yes there were people selling cdr copies for 100$ even before it was sold out in stores. yeah.

you don t beleive the majors have gotten better at marketing to the hipsters? Steve Alibini called all this bullshit years ago. Sorry but what passes for "independent" these days is mostly "minor-league major label" crap.

Aside for that regional UK dubstep/grime stuff there doesn t seem to be much appreciation for DIY music (really DIY) and new styles on this board.

mms

sometimes
geto.blast said:
no i m implying it was one of many fashionable "mashup" things going around for a while and that hype sold it not, not merit.

as far as bootlegging yes there were people selling cdr copies for 100$ even before it was sold out in stores. yeah.

you don t beleive the majors have gotten better at marketing to the hipsters? Steve Alibini called all this bullshit years ago. Sorry but what passes for "independent" these days is mostly "minor-league major label" crap.

Aside for that regional UK dubstep/grime stuff there doesn t seem to be much appreciation for DIY music (really DIY) and new styles on this board.

it was self released and recalled thru a cease and desist order - he was made to pay any royalities to the beatles, not really a 'power move' etc unless the album had a quality that people thought was good, i mean a few people have saqmpled the beatles and had to stop selling their record and i'd like to hear you name em..
i shared an office up until end of last year with a guy who put out some of his records until the end of last year so i know what i'm talking about .

an independent label is independent if it's not tied into a conglomerate of parent businesses and there are still many of those.

what does diy really mean anyway - build your own guitar kits?
People talk non stop about new music of all kinds here, mostly dubstep and grime but other shit as well..

geto.blast

snap on rims
mms said:
tied into a conglomarate of parent businesses and there are still many of those.

what does diy really mean anyway - build your own guitar kits?

too complicated to esplain here , keep buying into hype and thinking you re the cutting edge..

love ya all.

hint

geto.blast said:

no shit!

The issue is how you were trying to tie that into Gnarls Barkley and EMI... What you've been saying doesn't make much sense to me.

no shit!

Why are you apologising? is it your fault?

You're welcome to bless us with your views in the Steve Albini topic I started.

That's not true.

geto.blast

snap on rims
/puts on tinfoil hat

who sais there wasn t any collusion with EMI? as part of a settlement for a copyright infrigement suit?????

Last edited:

D84

geto.blast said:
well, what he says is true but saying that the Grey Album release is evidence for it may be missing the point perhaps.

What happens is that the artist signs a guarantee to the label, independent or otherwise, that all samples etc on the master are authorised and legit and if they're not the artist will take the blame/costs. The label then signs a similar guarantee to the distributor and so if there's any legal problems they get shuffled back to the artist.

geto.blast said:
So start your own thread already. Some of us are dying to hear fresh new music...

As for this topic, I haven't heard the track in particular but it sounds like a dodgy project. That XXL article linked earlier is pretty convincing!