great unlikely collaborations

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
shudder said:
there was a rumour or something about this, but it turned out to be a joke, right?

No I've got it, I'd Yousendit but it's on my other computer. I heard it was a half-finished, rejected studio demo. Basically it sounds a lot like 'Slave 4 U' but with a more disco sound palette. It's quite good.

3underscore

Please don't share this, at least not on here.

It has been removed from various places across the internet at the request of all parties involved.

I'd rather not see dissensus getting drawn into sharing things that the artists and producers have requested not be the case - it is asking for trouble and disingenuous.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
"Rosensfole" - Jan Garbarek's late 80s,
wonderful colloboration with traditional
folk singer Agnes Buen Garnås.

I never found Garbarek's work with the Hilliard Ensemble that rewarding -
but with Agnes Jan takes on ancient Norwegian folk songs in a
timeless way.

I guess the colloboration wasn't that unlikely (but Eno/Byrne wasn't really either).

---

I haven't heard Dhafer Youssef's new "Divine Shadows" (apart from clips) - but he has
teamed up with the cream of our (as in Norwegian) nu-jazzers (like Arve Henriksen
who also featured on the latest David Sylvian) and the reviews have been ecstatic (they might be right, my better half clued me up on the earlier Dhafer stuff).

It's funny how you get these
little universes of interesting people playing on each other's albums. It
probably started with jazz, to Eno/Fripp/Wyatt etc in the 70s to present day.

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
shudder said:
there was a rumour or something about this, but it turned out to be a joke, right?
it's real...as Ned said, it's basically a squelchier version of "Slave 4 U", with the requisite DFA cowbells...it's hard to say who's running the show here, Britney or DFA...(the song fits them both very well, perhaps the best sign of a good collaboration)...

tate

Brown Sugar
henry s said:
it's real...as Ned said, it's basically a squelchier version of "Slave 4 U", with the requisite DFA cowbells...it's hard to say who's running the show here, Britney or DFA...(the song fits them both very well, perhaps the best sign of a good collaboration)...
Simon mentioned this in a November 1, 2004 article on the DFA in the Village Voice. A humorous quote from the article:

"Most surreally, they [=DFA] spent an afternoon in the studio with Britney Spears. "That was weird," says Goldsworthy. "Won't do that again. No offense to her—she's lovely. Got a foul mouth, though!" The brief session came to nothing, through lack of common musical ground. "When we work with people, we hang out, listen to records, share stuff," says Murphy. "But with Britney we had absolutely no way of communicating. She didn't know anything that we knew.""

And yes, the track eventually leaked.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Tate said:
"But with Britney we had absolutely no way of communicating. She didn't know anything that we knew."
seems to me this is a recipe for something really unique...I mean, why bother collaborating with somebody that shares your interests?...what does one expect to get out of that?

vache

confucius said:
Stereolab and Nurse With Wound.

listening for first time now. just brilliant. wonder what the story is behind these 2 EPs?

Yeah, the first one is pretty incredible, esp. the long track, "Animal or Vegetable?" Sorta manages to extract the drugged-out krautrock vibe that Stereolab's minimalism was only cruising over the surface of at the time.

I recall reading in the Wire ages ago that they asked Stapleton to do it because they were big fans. Apparently, he said he would but that he didn't like their music that much.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
ez.png

wly.png

Three of them on an EZ set seams like the only possible solution imo :)

nomos

Administrator
Stereolab and Nurse With Wound.

listening for first time now. just brilliant. wonder what the story is behind these 2 EPs?

Funny, I just pulled this out for the first time in years, the other week. Hypnotizing - except my vinyl's got a big gash across it so I had to buy it on iTunes :rolleyes:

zhao

there are no accidents
that Konono meets Rockers or whatever it's called remix 2CD is a pretty great listen as far as western remix of African originals go, which are often horrible, other times lackluster (Shangaan Remix belonging in second camp, with only winning effort being the acid rework by Spinn (i think it was).

but this Konono remix thing is satisfying nearly from beginning to finish, with very interesting sonic treatments by both Rhythm and Sound guys, Mr. Friedman, The Shack and others... i've heard that the tour of this project involved Konono actually jamming WITH some of these knob twiddlers live on stage. anyone catch that?????