orange juice - rip it up
police - walking on the moon
specials - ghost town
cure - boys don't cry
siouxie and the banshees - spellbound

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
"great" all of that stuff Was/Not Was?, but
The Associates - "Party Fears Two", "Gloomy Sunday" or "White Car in Germany" still is

bassnation

the abyss
subvert47 said:
dunno about "great"
they were cheesy at the time and they sound terribly dated now

they were great at the time and they are still great tunes. so what if its pop music? cheese-free music is usually utterly devoid of fun anyway. what was you listening to back then? bet you were a little kid! (wild assumptions never fail me)

it was a big influence on detroit techno, which in turn influenced rave, which in turn influenced jungle, which went on to influence dubstep - so you could argue dubstep wouldn't exist without uk synth pop. a curious position, granted - but one i think will be vindicated.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
bassnation said:
they were great at the time and they are still great tunes. so what if its pop music? cheese-free music is usually utterly devoid of fun anyway. what was you listening to back then? bet you were a little kid! (wild assumptions never fail me)
Busted by the Popist Police. You stand accused of failing to appreciate Wham!

bassnation

the abyss
Slothrop said:
Busted by the Popist Police. You stand accused of failing to appreciate Wham!

ha ha!

just wondering... if there were such a thing as popist police, what kind of uniform would they wear? i'm sure gold lame would come into it somewhere.

Last edited:
not a bad idea SL1981...

...split the selection up into punky guitar pop ala clash, cure, siouxsie, a pop ballads one and a pure brit electro one...

...the thing with those tunes subvert was, they were mostly radio singles of their time and therefore probably the most accessible of the tunes the artists put out on the respective albums and behind any of those names there's bound to be a tune you'd like and maybe an accompanying story as tragic and funny as anything the streets is doing now about fame, money, drugs and what happens when the lights fade on what was once a promising pop carreer

I'd take most of that 80's synth stuff over any of the pop stuff being put out now in the UK...

just noticed this...

"I want you !!!"

"don't you want me ???"

just can't get enough

tainted love

the music may not be great IYHO but the greatness refers to this awesome thread !!! :D

might have to chuck some psychedelic furs, OMD and killing joke in there too along with all the other *great* suggestions

Also I forgot to add that after cars - gary numan comes ultravox - vienna and visage -fade to grey...

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
HELL_SD said:
might have to chuck some psychedelic furs, OMD and killing joke in there too along with all the other *great* suggestions

Killing Joke - Turn to Red

now that is a great record :D

fuck I been caning this selection, singing along and dancing like no ones watching...which no one is anyway but if anyone wants to send me some money i'll turn my PC cam on :cool:

one thing i noticed is along with the funky ass synth there is an awful lot of chicken scratch guitar in there...guess i was always into that and more so the UK version as opposed to the US

loves me the funky ass synth bass and chicken scratch gat, anyone know any dubstep with chicken scratch in it ???

robin

if you want to go that way,the single cheesiest eighties synth song is give me back my heart by dollar
its strangely compelling

bassnation

the abyss
HELL_SD said:
tainted love[/i]

i'm sorry, but if people think tainted love is not great, they really need their ears checked out.

maybe its this forums underground indie student cred coming up once again where everyone pretends they've been into dubstep since they slipped from their mother womb. once you get past thirty you stop giving a fuck about what music you should like and what other people might think of you.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
bassnation said:
maybe its this forums underground indie student cred coming up once again where everyone pretends they've been into dubstep since they slipped from their mother womb. once you get past thirty you stop giving a fuck about what music you should like and what other people might think of you.

you don't like dubstep then? :p

bassnation

the abyss
subvert47 said:
you don't like dubstep then? :p

lol, yeah i do really. ;)

just in a bit of a contentious silly mood. i wonder if kode9s considered doing another one of his classic dubstep remixes - tainted love with huge fuck off subbass? hmmm.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Someone asked about what these people are doing now. I'm pretty sure that the guy from Dollar runs a burger van somewhere.
Tainted Love is one of the great covers of all time. I love covers that aren't just a slightly different/watered down version of the original - I guess that should be another thread.
What about You Were Always on My Mind by The Pet Shop Boys, that fits into this thread right?