Wiley---2nd Phaze

bruno

est malade
i read the interview with wiley on hyperdub at the time of ground zero and felt total empathy with his vision. it really felt like he lived and breathed this music. so although he's been through a lot of changes and perhaps his sound hasn't evolved the way i would have like it to, i am still completely supportive of whatever he does. i just wish the artwork for this last one wasn't so ghastly (i'll buy it as soon as i get paid, i promise). by the way, can anyone sell me a copy of ground zero? please?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Tha Megatron said:
These fellas are lookin to make some serious power moves in the underground the rest of the year and goin "ghetto platinumn".

no but this is the tragic fallacy of grime. they see US rap stars rising from the streets to make loads of money and think they can too. but the truth is they dont, for whatever reason...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
there just isn't the ground-level support for grime in london (and the "in london" part is the most important bit here) that there is for hip-hop in the US. it's an entirely different animal. in northern california people like mistah f.a.b and keak da sneak are HUGE local stars - everyone knows them and they're written about in local papers and heard on local radio. in houston the SUC rappers and folks like UGK, chamillionaire, slim thug, mike jones and paul wall were more or less household names (despite the fact that the local press didn't actually cover them much and they weren't on radio a lot pre-, and even after, breakthrough). this is because hip-hop is a massive, looming cultural behemoth out there and while fiddy and the game are pretty listenable to most people, they don't reflect the lives of everyone.
most of the artists who have come up through regional scenes actively speak to their own specifically regional fan base, giving them a stake in the larger game and talking about the lives they live. this is necessary in the states because it's such a huge place, with each state like its own mini-america-within-america... given this, you'll see that while the beats and rhymes on a bun-b mixtape might be banging, the issues and lifestyle it illustrates and discusses aren't going to go over and make sense right the way across the country, either, in the beginning.
this is a hurdle that every regional US scene has to jump before it crosses over into the mainstream and most artists manage to do it successfully, making major records while still keeping it real with mixtapes for the streets. grime is similarly locally centred, but the crucial thing is that it's appealing not to an area the size of texas (which i think you can fit the british isles in three times or something) but to a specific set of ends in east london, which makes its catchment in audience terms pretty fucking tiny.
that's why it won't go "ghetto platinum", because it continually paints itself into a corner and its core audience is just too damned small to sustain it. i love the stuff, it talks to me because i live here, but if i were living in newcastle or norfolk, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't have a huge amount to offer other than pure sonics. the reason grime won't go any other sort of platinum is because it's just not proved itself able to adapt itself and become relevant to any broader national/international concerns/identity. this stuff frustrates me a lot because, as much as grime's belligerence is right at the heart of its appeal for me, it's got the potential to be so much more than it allows itself.

Tha Megatron

stelfox said:
there just isn't the ground-level support for grime in london (and the "in london" part is the most important bit here) that there is for hip-hop in the US. it's an entirely different animal. in northern california people like mistah f.a.b and keak da sneak are HUGE local stars - everyone knows them and they're written about in local papers and heard on local radio. in houston the SUC rappers and folks like UGK, chamillionaire, slim thug, mike jones and paul wall were more or less household names (despite the fact that the local press didn't actually cover them much and they weren't on radio a lot pre-, and even after, breakthrough). this is because hip-hop is a massive, looming cultural behemoth out there and while fiddy and the game are pretty listenable to most people, they don't reflect the lives of everyone.
most of the artists who have come up through regional scenes actively speak to their own specifically regional fan base, giving them a stake in the larger game and talking about the lives they live. this is necessary in the states because it's such a huge place, with each state like its own mini-america-within-america... given this, you'll see that while the beats and rhymes on a bun-b mixtape might be banging, the issues and lifestyle it illustrates and discusses aren't going to go over and make sense right the way across the country, either, in the beginning.
this is a hurdle that every regional US scene has to jump before it crosses over into the mainstream and most artists manage to do it successfully, making major records while still keeping it real with mixtapes for the streets. grime is similarly locally centred, but the crucial thing is that it's appealing not to an area the size of texas (which i think you can fit the british isles in three times or something) but to a specific set of ends in east london, which makes its catchment in audience terms pretty fucking tiny.
that's why it won't go "ghetto platinum", because it continually paints itself into a corner and its core audience is just too damned small to sustain it. i love the stuff, it talks to me because i live here, but if i were living in newcastle or norfolk, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't have a huge amount to offer other than pure sonics. the reason grime won't go any other sort of platinum is because it's just not proved itself able to adapt itself and become relevant to any broader national/international concerns/identity. this stuff frustrates me a lot because, as much as grime's belligerence is right at the heart of its appeal for me, it's got the potential to be so much more than it allows itself.

1st... Big ups on the Keak and Mistah F.A.B. references. Im all about my hometown heroes :cool:

2nd... Im glad that you guys out there in the UK have given me perspective on what the core buying audience is out there for Grime since I sorta had an idea from the video footage of parties, live sets, and forums on the net. To me the press that covers the scene and from what I read makes it seem as if the youth movement is large enough to get artists in the scene makin enough dough to buy a house without a major handling the albums.

3rd... I've been thinking about this alot and to me I feel that I grime tracks combined with dubstep would create some crazyness on the dancefloor and could win over a whole new audience around the world. Out here in San Fran we just did our 1 year anniversary of Grime City and the place was packed with hardcore heads along with curious heads from other scenes and even random business types who was bustin out the "Carlton" dance to some Mark One and DMZ tunes. Oh and Jammer's "Murkleman" track is like the anthem of the year (Its a year old but people love it regarless).

Final Thought... Glad there are forums like this on the net to discuss things like this because RWD forum is a whole nother story (straight up crazyness, but brutally honest responces from the forum). And I hope the scene will be able to keep moving units enough to help artists stack some serious bread for sharing their talent to the rest of the world.

oh and to go back on topic... anyone know of any shops with the "Eski-Boy" remix/"So Amazing" vinyls? Cant believe i missed this one when it was out for a week :(

Fiddy

useless trivia perhaps, but think this Streets album was recorded in his shed, unlike the previous two... whether that made a difference to the sound, who knows. Blinded By The Lights was sheer genius but still think the first album was the best. Only song I'm feeling enough to import is Prangin Out.

megatron on that 2nd point, HA HA HA HA!

sorry I had to laugh...not at you btw but just the thought of that. See this is why I hate hipster and hyperbolic press - they just help create and whip up a false reality.

Also it seems like the reason why Dizzee's stuff from the 1st LP sounded like "experimental hip hop sounding stuff" is because it was successful lol.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I've listened to this one quite a bit now, and despite some great bits, it's somehow disappointing I think.

For a start, it's very frustrating that the bonus tracks are better than most of the main tracks (So Amazing is absolutely brilliant). Also, the beats aren't as inventive as before (or his instrumental 12s)- the hip hop/dancehall efforts are weak. And often there isn't as much character as on the first one (Carry Out Orders wasn't as funny or cinematic as the intro promised). That said, I dig the air of hard-earned maturity in those lyrics like "let's not forget I'm aging" (Silverdollar pointed this out once I think). He's still an absolutely phenomenal MC when given the right material. But it's only the bonus tracks which really prove this, which is the problem basically.

My feeling is basically the same as when you watch a patchily brilliant movie, and you just wish it had been edited a little better. Still well worth the money, but not quite as intense/dense as is should have been.

chimpybits

Yes after spending some time with it, I too find it a tad disappointing. I actually prefer the mp3 album I found called Da 2nd Phaze Promo. I assume this was a released promo that came out prior? Logan? I downloaded it some time before the proper release. It has some of the tracks of the proper, some that have benn have floatring around prior and some I haven't heard elsewhere. It has the full song of the 2nd half of the Intro of the proper album. I find it flows better and I've played it a lot more than the proper. Certainly if one combined the best tracks from each you would have a stellar record.