Pink Floyd DSOm - greatest album ever?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I saw Easy Street Allstars doing their Dub Side of the Moon thing live. I can't remember much but I remember only really liking the instrumental tune "Any Color You Like". I think they played some reggae standards beforehand which was better anyway.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
D7_bohs said:
god yes; the 70s had DSOTM, the 80s the Joshua Tree, the 90s OK Computer as the mirrors of their respective self- regard - all unlistenable.

I think Joshua Tree is a really good album too, about as good as DSOM...'One Tree Hill' and 'red hill mining town' or whatever are really good tracks., sure there's horrible dreck on it, but then there's plenty of horrible drek on 'the queen is dead'..

'OK COmputer' has one good song, 'Paranoid android' but the rest can get fucked. Amazing how in the last 20-25 years UK bands have albums that have 4 good songs out of 10-12 perhaps, and they get pegged as 'masterpieces'. Do yr math and thats less than a fail!

shudder

radiohead was my crazed-fan band when I was young, and obviously I loved ok computer to no end... i suppose you can't expect any sensible opinions out of me on it, but i'd definitely reckon that paranoid android is far from the only good song on it!

Tim F

"I like people with less life experience than me telling me I'm intellectually 20. Makes me feel rock n' roll as opposed to some some of librarian nerd bedsit boy who thinks he's wise coz he's read books with big words and theories.....

....I think there's more validity in explaining the highest-most snobbish art, and turning people onto it that wouldn't even bother, than preaching to a converted mass of snobs in a mass frottage-session that passes as 'cultural criticism' these days."

Buick now I know that you were a member of The Earthmen I suddenly understand!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I always thought "Spirit of Eden" By Talk Talk was "Dark Side of the Moon" for adults...
And on the topic of "OK Computer"- I concur with Shudder , but would note its modernist agenda and sour humour as additional plus points. Also notable "gateway drug" to lots of much more "authentic" avant-music for a lot of people. Not all bad surely?

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
gek-opel said:
I always thought "Spirit of Eden" By Talk Talk was "Dark Side of the Moon" for adults...
And on the topic of "OK Computer"- I concur with Shudder , but would note its modernist agenda and sour humour as additional plus points. Also notable "gateway drug" to lots of much more "authentic" avant-music for a lot of people. Not all bad surely?

That 'gateway drug' music point is a good one! I'm startin' a thread!