Cycling

connect_icut

Gotta hand it to him - another great finish. The other teams did all they could to break up Columbia's organization but Cav played it cool and picked the perfect time. Once he starts to kick, you just know nobody's going to catch him.

He is obnoxious, though. Even worse than McEwen was in his day. I get the feeling he's being told to play that up but it just seems unnecessary to me. There was this interview on today's coverage where he was whining about certain other sprinters being "jealous". What is this? The Hills?

connect_icut

Great to see Andy Schleck win today. Felt a bit bad for Armstrong getting dropped from the GC so early but I'm a Levi Leipheimer fan, so it'll be be nice to (presumably) see him take over as team leader. In any case, I didn't expect the real excitement to start until the Pyrenées but this Tour has really exceeded my expectations so far.

jenks

thread death
Yeah the selection that took place on the hills was pretty impressive. Lance will win many over with his humble approach to getting unceremoniously dropped. As much as I like Levi, I can't see him getting in amongst it. Wiggins also is now out of it - i wouldn't be surprised to see the three current leaders all on the podium in two week's time. Although not necessarily in their current order.

craner

Beast of Burden
Lance will win many over with his humble approach to getting unceremoniously dropped. As much as I like Levi, I can't see him getting in amongst it. Wiggins also is now out of it - i wouldn't be surprised to see the three current leaders all on the podium in two week's time. Although not necessarily in their current order.

Does this mean that the race is effectively over and we just sit back and enjoy the scenery now? (Crestfallen.)

jenks

thread death
My pontificating is usually proved wrong so I'd keep watching if I were you.

Some big climbs to come in the Pyrenees and it only takes one bad day to throw the whole tour into chaos once more - i really want to see someone take on Contador and make him weep. Now Lance can't win he could become a loose cannon adding a genuinely random element into it all.

Also never underestimate a wet day in the mountains - one false move and they are picking the riders out of the ravines with a hastily constructed rope made of inner tubes.

bobbin

What
did our southend ride yesterday. it was wicked once we got out of ilford town centre. did mostly country b roads via hornchurch, upminster, basildon. had fish and chips at a cafe on the seafront, watched the world cup final in a pub with about five other people, got the train home.

didn't do your route in the end, jenks, cos it was bloody hot and we wanted to make it as much of a beeline as possible. didn't get out of stratford til at least half one. friendly pubs filling up our water bottles was important. cheers for yours and luka's advice though.

jenks

thread death
Good to hear you made it - seafront in its finery. All our rides seem to end in a cafe on the seafront - the ones in the arches are the best and there is also Rossi's which is the greatest old school ice cream shop ever. Fact.

connect_icut

Yeah the selection that took place on the hills was pretty impressive. Lance will win many over with his humble approach to getting unceremoniously dropped. As much as I like Levi, I can't see him getting in amongst it. Wiggins also is now out of it - i wouldn't be surprised to see the three current leaders all on the podium in two week's time. Although not necessarily in their current order.

Cadel Evans will come second again and he'll be really, really angry about it, which should be fun. I can't deal with this new, well-adjusted Cadel - it seems like ages since he threatened to cut anyone's head off.

jenks

thread death
Cadel Evans will come second again and he'll be really, really angry about it, which should be fun. I can't deal with this new, well-adjusted Cadel - it seems like ages since he threatened to cut anyone's head off.

Yeah - he should have ridden for US Postal!

bobbin

What
Good to hear you made it - seafront in its finery. All our rides seem to end in a cafe on the seafront - the ones in the arches are the best and there is also Rossi's which is the greatest old school ice cream shop ever. Fact.

yes! rossi's is sick. forgot to say we got one of those afterwards. it said it was there since 1932. winners of the 1987 national ice cream challenge :)

jenks

thread death
Evans a broken man today - the trip up the Madeliene was savage even by recent Contador standards - peleton smashed and everyone fighting for a wheel. I love the way the commentators say "He is suffering from waht the french call 'une journee sal' , a day without" i.e he's fucked.

So many possibilities for great stage wins now as so few can get near the GC podium - still expect Lance to charge on one last hurrah, also Vino and Wiggo could be allowed to go now that they are no longer a threat. And twice up the Tourmalet to come. This has been the perfect antidote to the disapointment of the WC final.

connect_icut

Fucking great stage, eh? Cadel did not look pleased. Someone is definitely going to be getting their head cut off on the team bus tonight.

My favourite bit was Jens Voigt burying himself to drag Andy and Alberto up the last climb. He looked like he was going to fall off once they passed him.

don_quixote

Trent End
i'm confused as to how much slipping helps on the climbs - it seems logical that they're going too slowly for it to make a significant difference right? but obviously not since they appear to stick together.

craner

Beast of Burden
My favorite bit was when Schlek and Contador caught up with the front group right near the end -- that was so cool!

jenks

thread death
i'm confused as to how much slipping helps on the climbs - it seems logical that they're going too slowly for it to make a significant difference right? but obviously not since they appear to stick together.

I think riding on someone's wheel (which I think is what you are getting at) is always advantageous for speed - even if you are going slowly, there is usually wind to slow you down.Also yesterday Contador stayed behind to watch for any attacks, also being second wheel means you can pounce on an unsuspecting lead rider (as often happens in the velodrome).

If you have ever tried to ride on someone's wheel you'll see just how much easier it is to ride, particularly skinny tyred affairs, once you get over the initial fear that you are going to plough into the back of the bike in front it makes sense. That is why you'll see some riders get really cheesed off with those wheel suckers who sit back and just take the ride. Voight's turn on the front was particularly heroic as he really was sacrificing his day for his boss - and has been pointed out above he almost fell off as he tried to find some kind of gear he could still turn!