CRICKET!! breaking news, gossip, lies, whatever etc..

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I too was thinking of posting to this thread. What the hell happened? I'm deeply shocked and saddended. Stress? Suicide? Murder? Whatever happened, it's absolutely awful.

don_quixote

Trent End
my friend reckons it was suicide although all media reports are saying it was possibly a heart attack. reports of vomit all over the walls are horrific. if it is suicide i really really hope it doesnt come out. that would be more awful than imaginable.

Lichen

Woolmer's death is awful. As is Pakistan's loss to Ireland. I'm sure a lot of money was won on that.

And then their coach is found dead in his hotel room. Weird stuff and I hope there's nothing in it.

And what about Flintoff and the two coaches boozing. It makes me cross. Those guys get paid alot of money.

Last edited:

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I dont follow cricket at all. Hell, I dont even understand it.

But this is nuts:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/03/22/cricket.death/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

I hadnt heard that "former world champion Pakistan was beaten and eliminated by the relatively unknown Irish team on St. Patrick's Day, one of the biggest shocks in World Cup cricket history".

And his death probably linked to betting? Someone lost so much money they killed the coach?

How come this stuff never happens in American Football?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
You can't break the neck of someone who doesn't have a neck.

You must be talking about my home town's pride and joy:

weis_charlie.jpg

don_quixote

Trent End
so unless there's a monumental turnaround it looks like england are out of the world cup. i'm veering towards the opinion that fletcher and vaughan have to step down now. flintoff is so jaded and needs some county cricket or something.

if anything these guys just need to get some form back somehow

hucks

Your Message Here
In a weird way, there is a cleansing purity to this defeat. If we'd have somehow shanked our way into the semis with another barely adequate performance, some of the difficult questions could have been ducked. Not now.

We need - new coach, new captain, new vice captain, new opening batsman (two new ones in the one day game), new wicket keeper, new strike bowler. This summer should be one of renewal. I personally think there's little point in going back to Trescothick and Harmison now, never mind S Jones. Only new faces from this point onwards.

It's been incredible how quickly the 2005 ashes team has fallen apart. The only other example I can think of in world sport is, well, the 2003 England rugby team.

don_quixote

Trent End
trescothick will be straight back in because he's not got the tarnish of defeat, simon jones certainly hasn't got the tarnish of defeat.

im pretty sure bell could open in the one dayers but he needs someone who isn't a complete wreck at the other end. we should have taken mal loye possibly, but he's totally not an option anymore and neither is nixon (who has performed); due to age. we need to look to build a team to win the 2009 ashes and the 2011 world cup - so hard to think about now.

so ur... opening is bell and trescothick in the odi's. in tests i can't tell whether strauss is jaded at the top of the order in tests and needs dropping down the order. he certainly needs some form (and not in the nets!). if anything i think we need to stick with strauss because after his startlingly good start he's got to have a slump at some point. also, he's probably got to be the new test captain.

vaughan just has to go. im sure the captaincy thing is totally overplayed by the media, especially when strauss battered the pakistanis without flintoff, jones and vaughan last year. as for the odi captaincy... well i dont have a clue. we need to have some arrogance at the top of the order. england aren't brave, theyre the most conservative fucking side in the whole tournament right now.

(oh and the strike bowler question: i think we'd stick with harmison in tests for now. for me hoggard isn't tarnished, he's our best bowler. one top of that i dunno. i dont like james anderson much, i think he's average. i don't mind plunkett and saj but they need to stop being so erratic. i hope (and sort of dont hope, as a leicestershire follower) that broad is the answer)

hucks

Your Message Here
I was possibly a bit hard on S Jones, but, Christ, is he made of glass? He might never be fully fit again. Likewise Trescothick -though I'm sure I read that he may well not be available for this summer's tests, and he seems unlikely to tour again.

I would, though, ditch Harmison. He was not worth a place in the team in Australia and then to announce, age 28, that he is retiring from ODIs says so much about his lack of resilience that I think he deserves to be dropped on that basis alone.

I know little of Broad other than what I've seen for England but he seems worth a go.

S

simon silverdollar

so, thoughts/predictions on the WC final?

i still think australia will win it, but it could be a fascinating game, as sri lanka are just about the only team to possess the bowlers to bring about anything close to an australian batting collapse- they have a real chance to put pressure on the middle order, which hasn't been severely tested recently.

don_quixote

Trent End
nothing on top of that other than im really looking forward to it. then again, i was looking forward to the aussies playing the south africans and it just didnt happen at all.

don_quixote

Trent End
oh forgot what i came into this thread to post - nixon and prior in the summer squad! depending how you look at it we either have an embarrassment of riches for wicketkeeper or we have no-one good enough...

mos dan

fact music
i just watched the bob woolmer panorama prog when i got in from the pub (was repeated on bbc news 24) - fucking sickening, sensationalist crap. it really made me feel ill. it had a soundtrack straight outta poirot or inspector morse, and every other statement from the presenter (i refuse to call him a journalist, as much as panorama likes to think itself as broadcast journalism at its best) was basically an intimation that one of the pakistani team murdered him.. either for reasons related to gambling & match-fixing, or - even more disgracefully - it was heavily intimated that woolmer's quiet disdain for some of the more devout muslims' emphasis on religion over cricket might have brought a fatwa on his head.

i don't care if it turns out one of the team did do it - there was not one worthwhile fact to back up the innuendo; this was conjecture presented as legitimate theory, sensationalism as journalism. fecking license-fee-demanding-back* material. :(

*don't watch the grammar, i've had a couple

S

simon silverdollar

anyone fancy reprising this thread?

england vs india is fun at the moment innit? nice to have some ODIs that have some genuine excitement.
what's been really interesting for me this summer, though, is that there's now the possibility that, even when fit, the ashes 05 pace bowling attack (or what remains of them, after jones' problems) are may be not guarenteed a place in the test side for much longer. in the next few years, i could well imagine hoggard being dropped for anderson, say, in some matches if the selectors decide that they want a bit more pace (or even for sidebottom, if they want a left hander to mix things up a bit). and harmison can't go on bowling dross without facing the real risk that Broad can slot in in his place.

also, i really like Bopara. ever since seeing him flick the ball over his shoulders for 4 in the world cup (against sri lanka?), he's looked like the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

hucks

Your Message Here
I fancy reprising this thread.

The best thing about the current series is that England appear to actually care about the 1 dayers. It used to be embarrassing how unbothered they were, before inevitably getting heaved all over the park by Sri Lanka/ Pakistan/ any other country who takes that form of the game seriously. I can't figure out why the difference, possibly the new captain, just as likely the fact that we lost the test series so now this matters.

Now, I'm off to reprise the football thread.

hucks

Your Message Here
NO! This thread will not die! NOT ON MY WATCH!

Anyway...helluva game today, no? Love how all the middle/ lower order batsmen who've been called up have really taken their chances. Great to see. Hard to figure out who should be dropped if Freddy's fit for Saturday.