CRICKET!! breaking news, gossip, lies, whatever etc..

S

simon silverdollar

oh that spell of bowling by Jerome Taylor was fantastic. i particularly liked his slower ball against Prior.

i think this crushing defeat is a really good thing because

- the west indies have been near the bottom of the pile in test cricket for way too long.
- england now have to face up to the fact that they've been bad since winter 2006, and have been getting steadily worse since then. bell's going to go, surely, and wouldn't be surprised if harmison goes as well. a rebuilding has to start.

crackerjack

oh that spell of bowling by Jerome Taylor was fantastic. i particularly liked his slower ball against Prior.

i think this crushing defeat is a really good thing because

- the west indies have been near the bottom of the pile in test cricket for way too long.
- england now have to face up to the fact that they've been bad since winter 2006, and have been getting steadily worse since then. bell's going to go, surely, and wouldn't be surprised if harmison goes as well. a rebuilding has to start.

Sounds about right.

Was listening to the collapse on the radio and it didn't seem like a pub team chucking wickets away, just a devastating spell of bowling (altho doubtless some of the former too). Agree with those droppings - Bell's been stuck in infancy for years. Someone needs to work on Cook to ensure he doesn't go the same way.

crackerjack

Swaggering high-profile businessman in possible fraud shocker.

The ECB has pledged to end all associations with Sir Allen Stanford after he was accused of an $8bn 'massive ongoing fraud' by the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The cricket entrepreneur was named in a complaint filed at a US federal court in Dallas and accused of "orchestrating a fraudulent, multi-billion dollar investment scheme". The SEC said it was alleging fraud "of a shocking magnitude" with "tentacles throughout the world". The England and Wales Cricket Board confirmed tonight they have suspended negotiations with Stanford over a new sponsorship deal.

Sir Allen, chief of the Stanford Financial Group, was accused of fraud in the sale of about $8 billion of high-yielding certificates of deposit (CDs) held in the firm's bank in Antigua. Also named in the suit were two other executives and some affiliates of the financial group. In the complaint the SEC accused Stanford and two associates James M. Davis, a director and chief financial officer of Stanford Group and the Antigua-based bank affiliate, and Laura Pendergest-Holt, the chief investment officer of both organisations, with misrepresenting the safety and liquidity of the uninsured CDs.

S

simon silverdollar

This is marvellous, though. The whole Stanford fiasco is the gift that keeps on giving

hmm yeah but isn't this going to totally fuck west indies cricket? i thought he was their main funder?

crackerjack

hmm yeah but isn't this going to totally fuck west indies cricket? i thought he was their main funder?

It may fuck more than just Windies cricket

American authorities have been suspicious of Allen Stanford's financial dealings for 15 years, it was claimed today.

As investigators continued to hunt Mr Stanford and the $50 billion of assets connected to him, a financial expert said that the Texan had been on "everybody’s radar" for more than a decade.

The claim, made by the journalist and author Jeffrey Robinson, came as a link was made for the first time between the cricket impresario and a feared Mexican drugs cartel....

As the charges against him became clear yesterday, panicked investors in the Caribbean and Latin America rushed to withdraw their savings from banks linked to his financial empire. Baldwin Spencer, the Prime Minister of Antigua, where he was the island's largest employer, said the ramifications for the island in terms of investment and jobs could be "catastrophic".

Speaking this morning Mr Robinson said that the Stanford case could have "huge ramifications" for the world of offshore banking and could be as significant as the Bernard Madoff scandal.

"I know, personally - because I have discussed it with them - a number of law enforcement agencies in the United States, plus a number of prosecutors who have been looking at Mr Stanford for the past 15 years," he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. "He has been on everybody’s radar for a number of things."

Some people involved in the offshore industry would be keen for Mr Stanford to remain silent about his Antiguan-based banking empire, he added.

"What’s going to happen now is they will ask to talk to him. If he doesn’t appear, I suspect an arrest warrant will be issued by the FBI on criminal charges," he said.

"If he does, he’s got a real problem because he knows an awful lot. And I would suspect there are a number of people, very heavyweight people, throughout the offshore world and in other jurisdictions who really don’t want to be associated with Mr Stanford and are not going to be pleased if he talks. So this man has a very, very serious problem."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5765481.ece

mos dan

fact music
indulge a cricket dunce would you - are we at a new low and definitely screwed in the ashes or what?

actually since i've (again?) acknowledged my cricket dunciness i wish to make a formal complaint:

i (sadly) don't really follow cricket for two reasons - we didn't play it at school, and it's never on tv. and i blame the government for both.

the brief taste i had of actually following test series properly, watching virtually every ball, was the 2005 ashes, because i happened to be unemployed and it was (then) on terrestrial tv. and it was incredible (i mean obviously.. my timing was rather fortunate), and for five months or so i learned about cricket.

and now it's gone away again and it's all the government's fault - they need to use that 'crown jewels' protected list thingy, i would like ALL england test matches on terrestrial. because occasional highlights packages on five (right?), and just radio coverage (as much as i love it) is not the same. and i'm not going to the pub all day on a weekday. is there a petition i can sign? can we cut spending from rugby or something and spend it on cricket broadcast rights?

S

simon silverdollar

indulge a cricket dunce would you - are we at a new low and definitely screwed in the ashes or what?

well, really you never know with this england team. when they're at their best, they're pretty good. but they can be absolutely dreadful. so, the 51 allout against the west indies the other week isn't so much indicative of a new low, as of continued chronic inconsistency.

at their best, england are well capable of giving the australians a good game. australia have lost a lot of big names, and a lot of their most established players are in decline or increasingly prone to injury/off-field problems (Clark, Lee, Symonds, to some extent Ponting).

so there's plenty of reasons to look forward to the ashes, although england will almost inevitably have (at least) one complete horror show.

and yeah it's a travesty that the ashes won't be on terrrestial TV. theres talk of bringing cricket back on the terrestial channels, but only 2020, which is just adding insult to injury really.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
with apologies to Poetix and Craner in the Poetry Hit Rate thread

so. then.

Australia.

you are playing some cricket at the moment.

and you

are

doing it

quite well. your first innings for sure anyway

crackerjack

Just been listening to Chris Broad's press conf. unbelievable stuff - their promised presidential security all fucked off and left them.

This is the end of international cricket in Pakistan for years. What are the risks that it'll spread eslewhere in S Asia?

crackerjack

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5949944.ece

This year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket tournament will be moved from India, probably to England or South Africa, because it coincides with India’s April-May election and the government cannot provide security for both.

The Twenty20 competition, which debuted in India last year, is the biggest sport event to be shifted from South Asia following last year’s terrorist attack on Mumbai and this month’s assault on Sri Lanka's cricket team in Lahore.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
excellent bopara innings, let's hope his place is assured for the summer now and we can forget about michael form. also, bops bowls a bit which means bell can come back in for collingwood... or does collingwood's forearm definition, experience and dulcet geordie brogue still make him an automatic pick?