GOTH ROCK (or dark glam?)

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I don't know if any Dissensus people will care about this, but Peter Steele (the enormous, hulking frontman of Type O Negative) died a few days ago. Hadn't heard Type O in over 10 years, college radio was playing them & I was thinking, that's hella random...anyway, I remember rocking out to October Rust when I was 11 or 12, total gateway drug to the Cocteaus & shoegaze & proper Siouxsie/SOM goth like people were saying upthread.

anyway, 95% of it sounds awful these days, but Love You to Death is still the jam:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

RIP & all that.

sufi

lala
Modern Gothic, as it is called, is deduced from a different quarter; it is distinguished by the lightness of its work, by the excessive boldness of its elevations, and of its sections; by the delicacy, profusion, and extravagant fancy of its ornaments. The pillars of this kind are as slender as those of the ancient Gothic are massive: such productions, so airy, cannot admit the heavy Goths for their author; how can be attributed to them a style of architecture, which was only introduced in the tenth century of our era? several years after the destruction of all those kingdoms which the Goths had raised upon the ruins of the Roman empire, and a time when the very name of Goth was entirely forgotten: from all the marks of the new architecture it can only be attributed to the Moors; or what is the same thing, to the Arabian or Saracens; who have expressed in their architecture the same taste as in their poetry; both the one and the other falsely delicate, crowded with superfluous ornaments, and often very unnatural; the imagination is highly worked up in both; but it is an extravagant imagination; and it has rendered the edifices of the Arabians (we may include the other Orientals) as extraordinary as their thoughts. If any one doubts of this assertion, let us appeal to any one who has seen the mosques and palaces of Fez, or some of the cathedrals in Spain, built by the Moors: one model of this sort is the church of Burgos; and even in this island there are not wanting several examples of the same: such buildings have been vulgarly called Modern Gothic, but their true appellation is Arabic, Saracenic, or Moresque.

Christopher Wren innit

Leo

was never a goth but still own a few sisters of mercy and bauhaus singles. preferred the cure when they were a weird punk band.

remember the whole batcave thing? more on the Goth glam end, I guess. specimen!