SunnO)))

vache

polystyle desu said:
Sorry, that was in reference to this thread: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=3916

I like Sunn O))) quite a bit. I think that they've taken the groundwork of metal riffage, Earth, Spacemen 3 and Tony Conrad and forged something totally unique and interesting from it. I got a glimmer of this sound from Kevin Drumm's Mego record a few years back which was noise, but different in that it was supple and not shrill and had harmonics that didn't drive me up the wall. He also had the black metal tropes going too. Sunn O))) is a surprisingly calmer affair and I like its meditative quality.

I missed them when they were in town a few weeks back and regret it.

Here's the Flickr tag page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/sunno/

I also think that it's very they've hooked up with Oren Ambarchi whose work I've always loved. At first, it didn't make sense, but after a I thought about it for second, it did.

That still doesn't change the fact that the art world loves to latch on to anything that might appear to be "transgressive."

Last edited:

throughsilver

m99188868 said:
Who is this Boris?
Japanese power trio. Debuted in 1996, I think, even though they all look like teenagers.

And what did he release?
Lots of stuff. I have bought 7 albums that they have released since 2000, and there is more to get.

Notes I scribbled for another forum a while ago:

Amplifier Worship - Evil Boris. Singer sounds like some monster with the head of Toshiro Mifune, possessed by the soul of Heihachi Mishima. Biggest riffs are on this, and some really long songs, like the potentially career-best 'GANBOU-KI'.

Flood - Gorgeous hour-long song split into four tracks. Really mellow for the most part, but while it ends up crushingly heavy and epic, it never gets aggressive. So much better than any Isis album ever.

Heavy Rocks - Odd in the sense that it forgoes the epic for feedback and effects-drenched rock and roll. Most songs are about 4 mins, most have vocals and it just rocks, Rocks, ROCKS. Like the ultimate Clutch/Scissorfight kind of deal. Best to check out the magnificent 'Dyna-Soar'.

Akuma No Uta - varies between droney epic intro and a few Heavy Rocks-style tunes. Was 2003 in Japan but I got it in 2005. Really cool, and more approachable than a lot of their other albums. The best for Western tastes to start, I suppose.

Pink - most people will know this, and it's part-culmination of all that has gone before and part-fuzzy garage album. Love the piss out of it, especially the gorgeous opener '決別', which apparently translates as 'Farewell'.

Not spent too much time with Absolutego, but it's a massive, hour long, riff thing kind of in the vein of Sleep's Jerusalem. Their collab with Keiji Haino (Black, Implication Flooding) is a predictably insane feedback fest, and for some reason the Merzbow stuff isn't that appetising to me, as I haven't really dug into their first album with him, MegaTone. Aside from that, there are albums like Mabuta No Ura, that I have no idea where they came from, but contain really cool normal-ish rock songs from them.

OldRottenhat

Boris - Feedbacker: At Last is also excellent, on the same tip as Flood judging by Throughsilver's description, a single track that develops through sections reminiscent of Pink Floyd or maybe even Codeine into an oceanic guitar drone meltdown that is just crushingly lovely. Sun Baked Snow Cave (with Merzbow) is all drone and sounds a bit generic although maybe I haven't listened to it enough.

I love Boris and I particularly love the fact that the guitarist in this unbelievably noisy and heavy band is this elfin japanese woman rather than someone more like, well, Stephen O'Malley or Greg Anderson.

Anyone know if Southern Lord are likely to do a US issue of Flood? I'd love to hear it since it seems like everyone's favourite Boris album but I haven't been able to bring myself to lay out thirty bucks for a Japanese import.

boris_ws3.jpg

throughsilver

m99188868 said:
Lovely. Thanks for that information.
No prob.

OldRottenhat said:
Boris - Feedbacker: At Last is also excellent, on the same tip as Flood judging by Throughsilver's description, a single track that develops through sections reminiscent of Pink Floyd or maybe even Codeine into an oceanic guitar drone meltdown that is just crushingly lovely.
Yeah, got that the last time I saw them. Very similar, structurally, though Flood sounds more 'organised' if that means anything. I'm deprived of sleep at the moment. Flood is more consciously 'epic' (in a super-Mogwai-circa-1999 way), while Feedbacker is more of a jam feel to me.

Anyone know if Southern Lord are likely to do a US issue of Flood? I'd love to hear it since it seems like everyone's favourite Boris album but I haven't been able to bring myself to lay out thirty bucks for a Japanese import
I'd have thought they'd have released it by now if they were going to. That said, Pink has the love of the P****fork cru, so who knows what the current fashionista status will result in. I was lucky enough to get a stack of their albums for a decent price when I saw them the first time.