DC Hardcore

matt b

Indexing all opinion
polystyle desu said:
Oh hey , DC Talkin about my home town area (continues)

wow.

nyhc rules too- gorilla biscuits, sheer terror, but ther dc strand is the stuff i listen to more nowadays.

moss icon and the hated are later dc inspired bands that deserve a mention (i've seen the moss icon / silver bealings split lp go for over £100 on e-bay :0)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, they're a massive bag of political contradictions, actually.
and it is worth remembering that roger miret is a cuban immigrant, so that kinda scuppers a lot of the charges of protectionist anti-immigrationism etc.
i think they've suffered like a lot of 2Tone bands did of attracting a bad crowd.
then again, they have kind of flirted with that audience in a way, but i've always seen their more inflammatory side as very sort of shock-jock, being offensive for the sake of it tinged with a fair bit of sarcasm, rather than actually serious.

Last edited:

spotrusha

well, keep in mind all of that was going on in the early to mid-80's in LES NYC. i think they definitely grew out of their sketchiness, and if you've ever talked to any of them, you'd know not to take any of their politics very serious (for a couple reasons).
more nyhc greats: outburst, warzone, breakdown, life's blood, supertouch, burn!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
spotrusha said:
more nyhc greats: outburst, warzone, breakdown, life's blood, supertouch, burn!

maybe we should start a NYHC thread!

http://www.revelationrecords.com/releases/7.html

and the very good 'where the wild things are' on blackout recs.

2nd/3rd generation stuff like born against (feat. members of life's blood), citizen's arrest, hell no, rorschach still works mighty fine.

where do we stand on judge?

Last edited:

polystyle

Down in the streets

Maybe the NYHC thread has already started ...

Seconding Burn! , played a gig with their guitarist Gavin sitting in with black rain once @ ABC No Rio.
He was a fixture on the East Village around Tompkins Square Park streets ,
formidable presence indeed , the sidewalk suddenly seemed quite small when Gav cruised through

In '98 I was hired to put together a NYHC Comp. in '98 for Tokyo Clothing Co.
and with Jimmy G (Murphy's Law) we got Merauder , Skarhead , Downflow , Fahrenheit 451 , Ensign and Straight Ahead on there .
Not that I remember now if all of them were really good or what ...
The sessions were fun though !

spotrusha

my band recorded with don fury twice (the guy who recorded pretty much every nyhc record). i actually used the same drums that raybeez played on the united blood 7" and were also used on alot of other records.

anybody catch leeway since they've been playing out again? i saw them at cb's and they killlled it.

petergunn

plywood violin
spotrusha said:
my band recorded with don fury twice (the guy who recorded pretty much every nyhc record). i actually used the same drums that raybeez played on the united blood 7" and were also used on alot of other records.

anybody catch leeway since they've been playing out again? i saw them at cb's and they killlled it.

i saw them w/ bad brains at cb's a few months back... they were pretty great, and i've never been a big fan...

i recently picked up the first AF 7" EP at a record show from some old guy for 10 cents! gotta throw it on ebay soon to make some money...

polystyle

Remember Raybeez ! was the cry at some point wasn't it Spotrusha ?
Donny Fury - check , we did some rehearsals at his Studio down between Little Italy & Bowery,
he got mad when I turned up some reverb on his Board once ! heavens forbid someone touched the Board
Agnostic Front , vocalist was Vinny ?

Lotta those groups kept CBGB's stocked for years

spotrusha

Raybeez RIP mos definitely. thankfully, i saw warzone 2 or 3 times and met Ray, he was a chill guy. Me and Don Fury definitely went at it in the studio haha. He told us lots of cool stories about ny bands. He also said he was a member of Twisted Sister for a couple days, which i actually confirmed with Dee Snyder, and it's true, but Dee emphasized "FOR A DAY" haha.
believe it or not, there's still an okay hardcore scene. it's about 90% crap, but a few bands to check out are Lion of Judah, Fucked Up, Righteous Jams, Justice, Iron Boots, Cold World (my band), and this amazing German band called World Collapse.
polystyle desu said:
Remember Raybeez ! was the cry at some point wasn't it Spotrusha ?
Donny Fury - check , we did some rehearsals at his Studio down between Little Italy & Bowery,
he got mad when I turned up some reverb on his Board once ! heavens forbid someone touched the Board
Agnostic Front , vocalist was Vinny ?

Lotta those groups kept CBGB's stocked for years

throughsilver

What a great thread this is; I agree with the quality bands I know that have been mentioned (Fugazi are a total top 5 band of the 90s for me), and am all about checking out the ones I never got round to hearing (teen in the mid-90s, so I grew up with Metal and Metallic Hardcore). But yeah, there's gonna be a 1985-94 poll on another board I go to, so I want to improve on my knowledge of the era.

matt b said:
as the late john paul morrow once said "we may not listen to much hardcore any more, but we'll always be hardcore kids"- it's seeped into my dna and dischord was the single most important influence when i was 16.
Funny you should mention Johnny Morrow. I have been clearing out my old magazines of late and just yesterday I happened upon the Terrorizer with the Iron Monkey story in it. For some reason I never read it at the time (maybe I was just too gutted), but went through it yesterday. Brought back memories of knocking about in Bradford in the late 1990s.

Also reminded me that I need to get some Grief in, stat. Anyway, carry on!

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
shit politics though, unfortunately.

I used to have a friend who was into MOD, the punk metal band which also included scott ian from anthrax. it was fronted by this horrid fat racist homophobe skinhead - nasty stuff, masquerading as punk - seem to remember songs about how AIDS is a good thing because it kills "faggots" - and other similar obscenities.

was there much of this right wing punk rock back at the time? this was much later than the british skinhead movement.

Last edited:

throughsilver

bassnation said:
I used to have a friend who was into MOD, the punk metal band which also included scott ian from anthrax. it was fronted by this horrid fat racist homophobe skinhead - nasty stuff, masquerading as punk - seem to remember songs about how AIDS is a good thing because it kills "faggots" - and other similar obscenities.
Ah yes, Billy Milano.

I think Ian was in SOD (Stormtroopers Of Death), Milano's other band. They released the oh-so funny (not) Speak English Or Die... the worst thing is, this is looked at as a seminal release in the Metalcore movement.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
throughsilver said:
Ah yes, Billy Milano.

I think Ian was in SOD (Stormtroopers Of Death), Milano's other band. They released the oh-so funny (not) Speak English Or Die... the worst thing is, this is looked at as a seminal release in the Metalcore movement.

My secret shame is that I love that song 'kill yourself'. It's not funny as such, just really good.

And surely AF's problem is that they're idiots? Anyone else read that MRR interview in the mid 80s where they talk about how "it's different in the UK, the NF are in a race war" despite the fact that Miret is latino. I mean come on...

Hardcore - I can't give it up. I love older DC stuff, no so much the emo. I love all sorts of NYHC.

But the best hardcore band of all time for me was Chain of Strength.

petergunn said:
boston for me!

ssd, jerry's kids, dys, fu's, slapshot, gang green...

Nice!!!

matt b said:
maybe we should start a NYHC thread!

http://www.revelationrecords.com/releases/7.html

and the very good 'where the wild things are' on blackout recs.

2nd/3rd generation stuff like born against (feat. members of life's blood), citizen's arrest, hell no, rorschach still works mighty fine.

where do we stand on judge?

Where do we stand on Judge? We still can sing every lyric. Wehn I was 16 or so I used to spend hours playing along to the Bringing it Down record on my guitar.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I was actually in the process of burning CDs to make a tough guy hardcore mix to lsiten to on the way to work tomorrow.

Any recomendations? I've got some Cro-Mags, some Integrity, some Terror, some Ringworm, some AF.

throughsilver

Melchior said:
I was actually in the process of burning CDs to make a tough guy hardcore mix to lsiten to on the way to work tomorrow.

Any recomendations? I've got some Cro-Mags, some Integrity, some Terror, some Ringworm, some AF.
Hmm, depends how modern/Metal you want to get. Integrity suggests pretty modern and Metal. ;)

Some of that Biohazard ('Punishment') might work, as would Strife. Much more modern, but I loved them so. 'I Love You' by Black Flag is big dumb fun, with that really disturbing edge. First two TSOL EPs, Verbal Abuse, DRI, COC... Suicidals!

- throughsilver, unashamedly has his testosterone moments.

polystyle

Cold World

Spotrusha - i've only heard OF Cold World but not heard them yet - will have to do so ...
World Collapse sounds interesting ...

Prolly then you at least have heard of Disassociate (RIP) , our bassist Bones was in there , we used to do black rain together in the early '90's .
Cheers

Biohazard ! their first record/CD cover has the black rain Japanese symbol logo right in view there from when we spraybombed it all over the W'Burg waterfront bk in that day .

Currently Evan Seinfeld is on the VH1 Supergroup 'celebreality' series with Scott Ian , Ted Nugent ,
Jason Bonham and S Bach .
Pretty silly doings but one watches it like a slo mo wreck

bassnation

the abyss
Melchior said:

whats your favourite cro mags tune? I have the "we gotta know" lp here on vinyl - i think the best track has to be the slow but powerful grind of the title track. don't know why more bands don't exploit the slow thing - can be utterly devastating. i guess godflesh is similar in some ways, despite being on more of an industrial tip.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
don't know why more bands don't exploit the slow thing - can be utterly devastating.

check the whole 'sludge' subgenre- grief -as mentioned above ('if its too fast, you're too happy), eyehategod, iron monkey, floor etc

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Melchior said:
And surely AF's problem is that they're idiots?

absolutely bang on the money, but quite savant as far as making really speedy, addictive, thrashy, poppy punk tunes goes. they're a real conflicted pleasure for me, but then again, it's not like they're exactly in the same league as nazi black metal or blood & honour-type 'orribleness.