GRIME04bCD

luka

as i was reading this thread a car pulled up to the lights outside my window blaring
'stand up tall'
a minor coincidence, but i thought i'd mention it.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I'm in London now (fun fact) and when I went to my friend's house in Haringey last night some kid rode by on a bike shouting the chorus to 'P's and Q's'.

I think the reason it hasn't crossed over can be traced to a couple reasons. The biggest is probably that the core fan base is less likely to buy it than they were jungle, because of being able to download it (consider how many topics on RWD have people saying they don't want to spend their money on buying something when they could just download it, asking for audio and shit). Some of the biggest jungle records would do tens of thousands of sales just off 12 inch. Can't see that happening now.

Two, lack of vibesiness/danceability. In jungle's biggest period there were plenty of dark tearouts but there were lighter/more melodic moments (Foul Play rmx of Renegade Snares, Pulp Fiction, Chopper, etc) but grime has mostly been dark n' nasty (starting to change now though). Plus, it's way harder to dance to than breakbeat hardcore, jungle, or 2-step. Jungle didn't start to really die off until it turned into angst-metal breakbeat.

Three, and let's be honest here, a lot of the mc's are still pretty bad. The standard has improved by light years since So Solid, but lyrically there's still lots of lame stuff.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Haringay! Representing. The 29 bus which I go home on is a veritable hot bed of grime lingo- girls talking about Kano and his "ugly mate", crews talking about sending dubplates to Ruff Squad.

It's everywhere, in the air, you can feel it.

luka

the average age of the audience doesn't help either. not much disposable income when you're 14!

owen

heh for some reason buses are the main places i hear grime lyrics being quoted and the like, in fact its the main sign of its existence, at least out here in the SE.
(my favourite of the latter being a girl on the 47 going 'I hate boyfriends, like BOY them, I'll BOY them! that's what kano says, innit' to her mate)
other than that it's probably a distant seventh most heard thing after dancehall, hip hop, r&b, old 2-step, magic fm and african pop. it really spooked me first hearing 'i luv u', mainly cos despite it being from 2 miles north of me i heard NOTHING like it on the streets (as it were).
it still seems to have very little presence blasting from cars, shops and whatnot, despite what people have mentioned here

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yeah, for some reason what I hear on car stereos is always ragga. Playing 2-step in public seems to be taboo, as if it's a secret little pleasure reserved for when you're at home with your missus. On road, though, people pump the militant ragga sound.

luka

south london is another country sunshine!

no disrespect to south, i was in kenington the other night. ok, the takeaway i got there give me food poisoning but i love the south. it is another country though.

in newham and tower hamlets grime is omnipresent. everywhere else its borderline invisible.

luka

i never hear it coming out of cars though, i do wonder about that as i divide my time between stratford and bethnal greeen.

there's two main reasons you don't hear it coming out of cars i think
1)the audience is mostly too young to have a legitimate license and too poor to have a car
2)when you're underage and driving a stolen car you dont want to draw attention t yourself by blastig out music associated with violent teenage criminal,s.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Diggedy Derek said:
Haringay! Representing. The 29 bus which I go home on is a veritable hot bed of grime lingo- girls talking about Kano and his "ugly mate", crews talking about sending dubplates to Ruff Squad.

Heh, I took the N29 home last night and there were two little kids doing grime-style mc'ing at the front. they were pretty terrible but in fairness they were only about eleven.

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
damn i hadn't heard about terror danja's decision - what's the source, matt?

i read it in vice linked off somewhere online, the geezer that writes the garage column should know as it's dan stacey from 679 recordings writing under a pseudonom.

it seems there are several faultlines in grimes' struggle, wanting the best deal and nothing else and the possibility of real destructive violence are 2 of the big uns.
seems to be a big gap between the value grimes audience places on its artists product (in actually shelling out for their records ) and their respect for them, but then again alot of the audience is struggling to get up there and on top as well, shame there is no real top, Dizzie seems to be a anomaly in a way. it's all oddly locked to fail unless it changes up its view of itself.

the records are £7 a pop too, that's a hell of alot of money, i can't afford to shell out for them that often.

diggedy d :Haringay! Representing. The 29 bus which I go home on is a veritable hot bed of grime lingo- giIt's everywhere, in the air, you can feel it.

this is absolutley true.
i absolutley love the kids that start mcing or girls that start singing thing.
i saw this kid just mcing away in his school uniform on the tube recently, 1000 yard stare on his face, deadly serious, running the voodoo of a miserable day at school down, he didn't care that some people thought he was plain odd.
One of the most lovely things i saw was when i walked into a sports shop in wood green and almost the whole shop was singing along to some r and b tune. gorgeous.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
The promo of Run The Roads I was sent included Da Rush, which Big E D informed me would not be featuring on the cd....

Logan Sama Bonus Vol 2 will HOPEFULLY be out Jan 10th. Was put back because now it;s going to be 2 cds.

And it's still free.

gumdrops

if anyone wants to trade copies of either of these 04 grime comps of woebots for any of his others (noir desire or grime 05 the evidence) i would be more than happy to trade.

Surreal. I was coming here specifically to request this (or any other woebot comp).
Those grimeforum crossover moments.