loop

Loki

Loop and Spacemen 3 were the nearest I got to having a Beatles/Stone divide in my life... i did like Loop and had all their records but i loved spacemen 3 (easier sentiments for the average floppy haired 16 year old who liked to see themselves as fucked up - revolution, yeah!) loop seemed to me harder to love, more atavistic, more relentless.. white light to sp3's soft pink glow...

SP3's suicide remains my favourite coming up song ever.... kinda fixated on it at an early age and never managed to shake it off...

zhao

there are no accidents
IdleRich said:
Loop did a version of Mother Sky that was so similar to the original it seemed completely pointless - I've never understood covers like that.

listening to it right now. it is faithful, and reverent. but there are certainly differences: it is heavier, more streamlined, robust, and electrically charged. the polyrhythmic drum patterns spelled out with more clarity. when the original is damn near perfect it makes the versioning a difficult proposition. in this light I think Loop did a commendable job.

very much reminds me of the Melvins cover of "Smells like Teen Spirit". true to the original, but making it more punchy and doom-laden.

what do you think of Loop's cover of "Rocket USA"? I love it.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
my favorite Loop cover is "Thief Of Fire"...

I've always found it interesting that people seem to love Loop or Spacemen 3, and simply tolerate the other...(like-minded bands and all)...it's as if the negative vibes expressed by Hampson and Kember in the press are transferred to the listeners as easily as the music itself...you could probably discern a great deal about an indie/noise fan by how they answer the Loop/Spacemen 3 question (the indie equivalent of "who's yer favorite Beatle"?)

zhao

there are no accidents
what do people think of Motorpsycho?

I don't know all their releases but what I've heard was very underwhelming... one of those bands I'm "supposed" to like but in reality can hardly stand. not just because of the hype... they both sound like crap and Crap Rock™ to me.

vache

IdleRich said:
Loop did a version of Mother Sky that was so similar to the original it seemed completely pointless - I've never understood covers like that.
Yeah, I agree that it is too similar, but I always liked Loop, so I'm willing to give it a pass.

Slightly OT, Th' Faith Healers did an incredible cover of Mother Sky on, I think, their first album. I need to dig it out but I recall that it was really reductive and managed to fit into the context of their more interesting songs.

sufi

lala
yeah i was always a looper meself

i remember travelling across europe to see them support wire with woebot aged about 15
ah them were the days