Trendy NME/MM/etc type groops that actually sound good NOW!

jaxxalude

swears said:
I don't really think they even care about that sort of thing anymore. It's just a production line of very, very trad bands now, the fact they didn't put Dizzee Rascal on their cover after he'd won the Mercury music prize with a pretty accessible album shows how conservative they are. Anyway, the whole "grindie" thing is just a cheesy news story.

To be honest, I blame the bands. A bunch of monkeys in their suit jackets and jeans, never letting go of their sacred giutars, unable to imagine even a musical alternative to what they're doing now.
Well, they didn't even put Antony on the cover and Conor even justified it with that half-arsed claim, if you remember.
About the bands: we all know that same-old-same-old about being able to look for alternatives beyond what's on offer on the big mass media outlets. It's all fine and with some valid points, but I ask you two questions: 1) Are the majority of kids really interested in expanding their horizons; 2) And even if they were, isn't this catering-to-your-audience atmosphere very conductive to the kids themselves starting to develop way too much self-conscioussness about what they should be doing in order to have real chances of "making it"? It's a vicious circle, if you ask me.

swears

preppy-kei
I think the key is just to ditch the guitars, let them go. They had their moment and it was fun, but it's just a cliche of a cliche now, and it's time to move on.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Indie kids frightened of Gays and Black People? Hold the front page... but yeah, hanging onto guitars when making them produce new sounds gets increasingly tricky is officially a bad idea. But NME is just hunkering down in their bunker, desperately clawing back inluence and readership, reverting to core values etc etc...

swears

preppy-kei
gek-opel said:
Indie kids frightened of Gays and Black People...

Hmmmm...it's not necessarily that, if gays and black people make very generic indie music, they still like it. Aphex Twin is off the menu as much as Dizzee Rascal.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah, true. I was more referring to those particular artists, but yr right they love Bloc Party (black lead singer) and various drecko garage rockers are undoubtedly gay... All the same their current policies are a legacy of the late 90s/early 00s NME, (which was OK actually) where they put Destiny's child on the cover one week, then Godspeed You Black Emperor!, then the Beta Band... and their sales figures collapsed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Hmmmm...it's not necessarily that"
Yeah definitely - there is a massive tradition of sexually ambiguous indie boys going back to The Smiths who are the indiest band there is. There may be other trends in indie typified by Oasis or whatever but it's plain wrong to say that "Indie kids are frightened of gays".

swears

preppy-kei
gek-opel said:
....the late 90s/early 00s NME, (which was OK actually) where they put Destiny's child on the cover one week, then Godspeed You Black Emperor!, then the Beta Band... and their sales figures collapsed.

Ha! Yeah, it wasn't so bad then.
I even think they had a go at MM for doing that issue where they slagged off two step.
I remember Aphex, Aaliyah, Missy Elliot, all kinds of stuff on the front, (even Andrew WK was a fun alternative to nu-metal) then The Strokes came along...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
MM destroyed itself in its last few years by taking a "we still love brit-pop" hardline. If only they had waited it out till about 2004 or so and they would have been loving it....

hint

party record with a siren
swears said:
I think the key is just to ditch the guitars, let them go. They had their moment and it was fun, but it's just a cliche of a cliche now, and it's time to move on.

This is interesting to me...

Is this the most important thing to you when listening to music? The "sounds"?

swears

preppy-kei
hint said:
This is interesting to me...

Is this the most important thing to you when listening to music? The "sounds"?

I genuinely believe in the whole idea of radical form/radical content.
I think even if an musician doesn't have anything explicitly political to say, that longing for innovation or something different to the mainstream is where the real "soul" (for want of a far better word) of music comes into play. When I first heard "Windowlicker" it sounded far more revolutionary to me, personally than any punk band.

jaxxalude

swears said:
I genuinely believe in the whole idea of radical form/radical content.
I think even if an musician doesn't have anything explicitly political to say, that longing for innovation or something different to the mainstream is where the real "soul" (for want of a far better word) of music comes into play. When I first heard "Windowlicker" it sounded far more revolutionary to me, personally than any punk band.
Well, let's not lose perspective here. In 1976, I'm pretty sure punk - as music per se - was revolutionary by mainstream standards. After all, what did hit the charts before the Sex Pistols? ABBA? Brotherhood Of Man? The Carpenters? Eric Clapton? Barclay James Harvest? Bay City Rollers? Tony Christie (oh well, this one's still there, as we're talking)? And did hit the charts by 1999? Catatonia? Boyzone? Blur? Another Level? Andrea Bocelli? Britney Spears? I'm pretty sure you get my point.

swears

preppy-kei
jaxxalude said:
Well, let's not lose perspective here. In 1976, I'm pretty sure punk - as music per se - was revolutionary by mainstream standards. After all, what did hit the charts before the Sex Pistols? ABBA? Brotherhood Of Man? The Carpenters? Eric Clapton? Barclay James Harvest? Bay City Rollers? Tony Christie (oh well, this one's still there, as we're talking)? And did hit the charts by 1999? Catatonia? Boyzone? Blur? Another Level? Andrea Bocelli? Britney Spears? I'm pretty sure you get my point.

Of course it was, but to me as a teenager in 1999 it meant Blink 182, Offspring, everybody getting tattoos and piercings, The Sex Pistols reforming to make a few quid, it meant fuck all. Things change and move on, I'm not denying the power of punk rock back in the 70's.