14. artcore
15. drill & bass
16. ambient jungle
17. atmospheric drum & bass
18. two-step (drum & bass)
19. fungle

struggling...

edits is the same as drumfunk.
breakcore and drill & bass are not really jungle are they?
artcore is the same as inteligent jungle too.

the one thing to note about why this is even possible in d&b and house is that it must be to do with the rhythmic nature of the music. once you have a tempo and a series of rhythmic conventions, you add different musical flavours over the top. The ease of changing styles, from jazz to funk to darkside doesnt translate into rock or other live forms of music.

so in dance you get a relatively small number of musicians with a wide sonic palate, whereas in rock you get a large number of musicians with a relatively smaller palate. Which, incidentally, is one of the reasons i'm not into rock :)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Hmm- nice idea but I'm not entirely convinced by that one, Blackdown... It could be as much due to yr own perspective, ie that of the dance aficionado, who sees great variety across these subgenres. A disinterested observer would see very little, I would think, this "wide sonic palette" is a little bit hyperbolic really- you've tuned yourself into the potential variety contained in relatively small differences... the same is true of other music surely?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
you're maybe right, but this hinges on the relative ease of sampling a sound versus learning to play the instrument itself. sampling is scalable, learning to play less so.

hint

party record with a siren
Blackdown said:
so in dance you get a relatively small number of musicians with a wide sonic palate, whereas in rock you get a large number of musicians with a relatively smaller palate. Which, incidentally, is one of the reasons i'm not into rock :)

"tell you what guys... let's use a double bass sample on this one... call it jazzy"

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes, you are correct to say that in the dance format the artist consists of one or two people, with a near infinite array of sampled/programmed sounds at their disposal, whereas in Bands you have traditionally four or so people each with one instrument of (relatively) limited palette... still genre-wise are there not as many sub-divisions of say (just as an example) indie rock? I mean the "flavours" will be contained in the style of playing, effects used on instrumentation and post-production strategies...

hint

party record with a siren
gek-opel said:
I've got no problem with jazz, but jazzy...?

Uncle Phil to thread. ;)

I quite like It's Jazzy... but it's certainly not jazz(y), is it?

Other offenders?

Loefah - Jazz Lick springs to mind. Again, a good tune with a bad title.
Gangstarr's Jazz Thing doesn't count because it's actually about jazz.

DWD

Noel Emits said:
1. tech house
2. gospel house
3. jazzy house
4. funky 'ouse
5. microhaus
7. progressive house
8. hip house
9. scouse house like
10. hard house
11. deep house
12. acid house
13. french house
14. tribal house
---------------------------
15. ambient house
16. gabber house
17. filter house
18. handbag house
19. epic house
20. breakbeat house
21. chicago house
22. minimal house
23. vocal house
24. ketamine house
25. italo house
26. freestyle house
27. latin house
28. disco house
------------------------------
29. percussive house
30. afro house
31. piano house
32. trancey house
33. stadium house
34. hooligan house
35. heroin house
36. happy house
37. balearic house

38. eurasian house
39. bohemian house
40. wiggy house
41. theatrical house
42. spastic house
43. bumbag house
44. bauhouse
45. back to my house
46. back to your house
47. poor house
48. yim wah house
49. yumyum thai house
50. soho house
51. white house
52. green house
53. we're renting because we can't afford to buy a house
54. nut house
55. mad house
56. tree house
57. louse house
58. de-louse house
59. bleak house
60. edwardian country house
61. this old house
62. my new house
63. random house
64. little prairie house
65. clearing house

Of those, I think I'd be most partial to a bit of bleak house.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
"Jungle is house."

House is a feeling... so house is dubstep.

List misses out headphone house.

Where does US garage fit in? "New Jersey house"?

Tim F

I think the proliferation of sub-genre terms in dance music has less to do with something inherent to dance music's construction relative to rock and more to do with the way that we talk and think about these two broad churches of genres.

In rock we're almost always grouping things by artists - albums, oeuvres etc. There is little emphasis on grouping together the work of disparate artists by dint of their stylistic or sonic similarities - rock compilations aren't particularly popular or dominant, and rock DJs are not accorded nearly the same prominence as bands' live performances.

With dance music, we're always thinking about the connections b/w the tracks of disparate artists, and this comes out most fundamentally in the physical act of DJ mixing, but also more generally in club nights and comps/mixes and the marketable stylistic "brand" of particular DJs, all of which are used by people (both creators and listeners) as signposts of their tastes as much as (or even more so than) individual artist tracks or albums.

So already we're immediately thinking of this music as a series of stylistically coherent clusters which cut across artist lines. These clusters cannot be defined solely by reference to particular artists, so giving labels to these clusters, and clusters within clusters, allows us to speed up our conversations in a way that is less necessary in rock conversations.