things like ehlers, fennesz, o'rourke

swears

preppy-kei
confucius said:
....all either very rare or unreleased. so anti-file sharing people save your moral outrage for another day.

If things are impossible to get hold through a commercial release, then I don't see the harm in filesharing. Although I suppose rare or unreleased tracks might be pressed up again some time in the future...
I'll always download stuff before I get it the CD/12", anyway.

soundslike1981

Don Rosco said:
FWIW, I quite like your stuff. It's a little smoothed-out for me, but it's very good for what it is.

edit: that compliment reads way worse than I meant it to. I really do like your music!

I'd agree completely that it's smoothed-out. If I were making music today, and had the means, it would be a) much more rhythm-oriented and b) much rougher/sharper in its textures. But even when I was recording this stuff, the thing that frustrated me (untill I let go of it) was that the results were always so pretty and ethereal, despite the ad-hoc, improvisational, do-it-all-in-24-hours methodology. It didn't sound like any of the music I most admired--I don't really listen to pretty, acoustic-electric improvisation ; )

Don Rosco said:
I'm not sure I understand that attitude - you make music, ergo you're a musician. It's not some club you have to be invited to. You're there!

Well, it's not really a matter of modesty, of being "not yet there". It may even be a perverse sort of pride, one which isn't really consistent with my feelings about craftsmanship in other artforms. But what I mean is that music-making isn't what I do--it's not a deep and abiding passion. Partly I refer to the fact that I have no technical skill or knowledge whatsoever, and despite the post-punk ethos of "it's easy, it's cheap, go and do it," I still have a certain reverence for those who invest the time and dedication it takes to have proactive control of craft--those who can "have an idea" and make it so, rather than responding passively to intuition alone, as I do. I never had anything but the vaguest "idea" of what I wanted to create--I just picked up whatever cheap instruments I could find and fucked around.

I tend to reserve the term "musician" for people like my many friends who simply must make music. It's something I used to do literally for a day or two, once every six months or so--recording a whole "album" in a few hours. Not that it doesn't "count," but I see it as having a different role than the stuff made by all the musicians I most admire and love. It's still valid--it's just not something that I'd feel right about, say, charging money for, when there are so many vocational musicians who need the support (nor do I have any need to "compete" in that sort of "market"). I guess what I mean is it's a hobby, not a calling.

[long ramble, skip, the point's not well made]

I can't remember who wrote it, but I remember reading or hearing a theory that prior to recorded/scored sound and professional, travelling Musicians, every village or clan or whatever needed musicians; and that after the advent of "portable music," as it were, the emphasis shifted to "the best," the virtuosos, the master-craftsmen (and later, I suppose, the best-hyped, too). Suddenly the "local talent" was in many ways seen as uneeded--everyone ostensibly had to compete with those at the "top".

Now, obviously things aren't that cut and dry. And frankly I'm immensely glad I live in an age where I can hear sounds of soul-shaking, paradigm-expanding talent and expression--I tend to like this aspect of a connected globe. I don't mean to romanticise the "local talent". Nevertheless, I think the pop/punk/hip-hop/internet continuum (in the "West") has to some degree restored the role of the "local" talent, although now it's more a matter of scale than place. In a way, I think the "smaller" music (I call my page 'Tiny Music' for a reason) is almost a relief from the Exceptional Works of Art that could easily fill up every moment of artistic appreciation. It's not "less than," it's just. . . different. It doesn't require an audience larger than the person making it--which may make it indulgent, but that's not a problem since it doesn't pretend to be something to set the world on fire. If no one had ever heard the stuff I did beside me, it would still have been worthwhile for me--it's like sketching, or doodling, or learning to play the piano at the age of 35. It's just for fun. All that isn't to say that the same basic approach and philosophy can't inform Music with a capital M (I see Eno as a prime example)--but the distinction is it's not essential. Despite all of the punky ideals about how anyone can do it--I think if I were honest with myself, I'd say that *most* of the music that has deeply moved me was made by musicians with a fire in their belly, with an insatiable desire to create--with a certain sort of ambition and skill. I don't mean Yngwie Malmsteen--it's not a matter of ego or technical roboticism or even professionalism--it's just passion, I guess.

[/ramble]

vache

confucius said:
found another list I put down some time ago:

Ryuji Ikeda - 1000 Fragments
Alva Noto - Prototypes
Pan Sonic - A
Asmus Tietchens - Beta Menge
Kaffe Mathews - CD Cecile
Senking - Silencer
Steve Roden - Speak No More About The Leaves
Akira Rabelais -
Stephen Vitiello - Bright and Dusty Things
Oval - Systemische
Aube - Pages From the Book
Toshimaru Nakemura - No Input Mixing Desk
Taylor Deupree and Kenneth Kirchner - Post Piano
Stephen Mathieu - Wormloch Variationen

Great list!

I'd add this one also: http://www.discogs.com/release/94961. I think only 500 of these were pressed up, but if you can land a copy, it comes highly recommended--especially "musicforcicadas."

I'd also second "Insulation" by Oren Ambarchi. Really, really beautiful.

Don Rosco

soundslike1981 said:
It's not "less than," it's just. . . different.

Good point, I agree completely. We're fortunate to be able to both create and access such work. The net busts this kind of thing wide open. It's about connecting with people really. The minstrel of your example connected because he was there, in the village. I heard your music because we were both here, in this strange little town.

connect_icut

Blimey, never noticed this thread before. Anyone looking for this kind of stuff should download my Abstract Audio compilations, especially the first two volumes...

http://bubblegumcage3.com/2011/02/03/the-re-ups-abstract-audio-vols-1-3/

Abstract Audio Vol. 1
1. Farmers Manual – “Mystery Cellar”
2. Fennesz – “Caecilia”
3. Oval – “Do While (Cut)”
4. Vladislav Delay – “Anima (extract)”
5. Basic Channel – “Mutism”
6. Alva Noto – Untitled (track 6 from Prototypes)
7. General Magic – “Temko”
8. Pita – Untitled (track 3 from Get Out)
9. Ekkehard Ehlers – “Plays Cornelius Cardew 1″
10. Stephan Mathieu – “Für Frans”
11. Stephan Mathieu & Ekkehard Ehlers – “Rose”
12. Fennesz – “Codeine”
13. Farmers Manual – “Final Lap”

Abstract Audio Vol. 2
1. Sébastien Roux – “The Classical Guitar Song”
2. Giuseppe Ielasi – “Plans (extract)”
3. M. Rösner – “Decay”
4. Tsukimono – “Punked Up Fuck Attitude”
5. Tu M’ – “What You Say?”
6. 3/4HadBeenEliminated – “In Every Tree a Heartache”
7. Mountains – “Bay”
8. Tape – “Sand Dunes”
9. Hauschka – “Hauschkamp3″
10. Ogurusu Norihide – Untitled (track 2 from Modern)
11. Greg Davis – “Campestral (Textured)”
12. Chihei Hatakeyama – “Swaying Curtain in the Window”
13. Anders Dahl – “Hundloka (extract)”
14. Lawrence English – “Ghost Towns (extract)”

grizzleb

The Fun Years - God Was Like, No is a great album from last year.
Jan Jelinek - Tierbeaobachtungen is the finest ambient album ever produced IMO.

connect_icut

The Fun Years - God Was Like, No is a great album from last year.
Jan Jelinek - Tierbeaobachtungen is the finest ambient album ever produced IMO.

Currently enjoying...
That Ascoltare 7" (seriously)
Pretty much everything by Oren Ambarchi
Rafael Toral - Violence of Discovery & Calm of Acceptance
Tim Hecker - Rave Death, 1972
Matt Rosner - Repeat
Marcus Schmickler - Palace of Marvels
Stephan Mathieu - A Static Place

Tomm

The majority of the music I listen to when I'm not in the mood for tunes is either synthy drones or noisy ambient. Here are a couple of choice records of the past year or two that fit in with the Fennesz-style crowd.

En - The Absent Coast
Infinite Body - Carve Out the Face of My God
Mountains - Choral
Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol.2
Belong - October Language
Yellow Swans - Going Places

All of the above are sort of in that "pretty" noise or glitch/ambient sort of territory. I used to DJ this stuff on a radio show, heh. That's always fun.

Stephan Mathieu - A Static Place

Also his other new album, 'Remain', so good. Mathieu can do no wrong for me.

Re: Marcus Schmickler, I recently played his duo with Thomas Lehn again, Kölner Kranz. It has nothing to do with music that sounds like Ehlers/Fennesz etc., but it's just perfect, had me on the edge of my seat for the whole time.

And while we're talking about A-Musik related music, this one could be relevant for the thread:
Unreleased Lithops/Jan Werner tapes from the early 90s that have been reworked a bit. Sounds not much like the Lithops I know, but I think it's very beautiful.

connect_icut

Mathieu can do no wrong for me.

Amen to that.

Re: Marcus Schmickler

Likewise for this cat, as far as I'm concerned. He does an incredible variety of stuff, from glitch to shoegaze to "classical" composition and it all seems to be pretty good. The last Pluramon album (The Monstrous Surplus) was one of my favourite indie/avant rock albums of recent memory. (Another great example of a glitchy dude doing straight-up pop/rock really well is I'll Be the Same by Sun, featuring the great Oren Ambarchi.)