New Justin Timberlake song.

zhao

there are no accidents
just heard the song for first time on club floor /proper sound system. and got to admit to loving it.

mms

sometimes
not bought the lp yet but 'my love' is absolutley amazing. timberland is back in force.
i'll get the album next week.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The first half is excellent, the latter half very bad. But its a long album, and the good bits are top notch. I think Either My Love or the title track are the best (incidentally, the title track sounds like Prince meets Station to Station era Bowie... )

Tim F

Gekoppel do you really think songs like "Summer Fling" are bad or are you just imagining that the three ballads at the end are more like six ballads?

I think the album holds up remarkably well up until those three ballads and I even quite like them.

justin timberlake

I also think "FutureSex/LoveSounds" is a very good LP. I was surprised when I read JT's description of "Sexyback", though; that thing he said about this track being as if David Bowie and David Byrne were covering James Brown's "Sex machine". A Spanish magazine described this single as a mixture of Technotronic, KLF and Snap!, which makes more sense to me.

On the other hand, Timberlake's second album is so much superior to the first one! I listened to "Justified" again last week and was left wondering how couldn't I have realized before that "Rock Your Body" is just a little better than any Jamiroquai song. "Cry me a river" is still very good, but that LP has too many conventional songs.

"FutureSex / LoveSounds" is a totally differente thing: it's Timberlake and Timbaland wanting so badly to produce a masterpiece that they almost do it. The most surprising Lp of the year, even though it may not be one of the five best of the year.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
@ Tim F: "Summer Love" is actually pretty decent, not amazing, but a perfectly catchy tune with excellent bass kicks and nice little synth bass fills... but pretty much this is an album with three great tracks, (Futuresex, Sexyback, My Love-and its prologue) a handful of adequate tracks (Sexy Ladies, Love Stoned, Damn Girl, Summer Love) and then a bunch of uncomfortable ballads which would work a hell of a lot better if the strings sounded either less or more artificial, (they're obviously real, expensively recorded but without any grain or texture in them- it would be better if they were synthetic really), but utterly lifeless and way too high in the mix, suffocating the life out of the beats which are amongst the best on the record (What Goes Around for example). Its a similar story with the way Timba's recorded the non-funk guitars on the album, they just sound wrong, in a non-interesting way. But it IS almost a great album. That's what makes it so frustrating! Timberlake is a fantastic pop-star, silly and plastic and straight faced in all the right ways, and Timberland is, well, Timberland. But at times it is a pretentious (in the literal meaning of the term) piece of work, its ambitions outstripping its abilities.

Incidentally those female sounding backing vocals that come in half way thru "My Love"- incredibly beautiful and haunting, almost theremin/ondes martenot like...

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
OK: I gave the whole thing another two listens, and asides from the last ballad (which is abysmally moribund) the whole thing is at its very worst quite interesting and highly listenable. Even the latter end. Its a good album. But it could be an amazing one (needs MORE pop). And Love Stoned is too Jacko for its own good, its almost pure parody!

Tim F

I love "Love Stoned", but I think it's kind of retrospectively made brilliant by the interlude. Not sure if I would adore it as much without that.

D84

I missed this thread earlier as anything to do with Mouseketeers or puts me to sleep...

BUT I did hear this track played at a certain fast-food burger chain over the week-end and I had to find out what it was. Mad. I'll be stoked if I hear this on a big system (etc)!

I love the rave-y stabs and the beats - to my ears there's definitely a Belgian flavour to it.

I'll have to track myself down a copy of this second-hand or something... :cool:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I heard track one in some dire department store the other weekend, it sounded absolutely magnificent. Track one is both sonically pleasing and like a boy band version of Berlin Bowie, superb superb.

swears

preppy-kei
kpunk on the album
http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/009625.html

bit late but a great read, although his total hatred of prince in lieu of his love of timberlakes current output seems... odd.

no mention of michael jackson either, curiously.

Yeah, I think people want Michael Jackson without all the weirdness again (but what made Jacko such a great performer is probably what made him nuts) so Justin bringing back an Off the Wall era sound on Justified was a nice touch.
The Prince influence is second hand through D'Angelo though isn't it? Sounds like RnB acts such as D'Angelo and maybe Ginuwine are what Justin is going for vocally. Although he's not quite pulling it off, but coming up with something interesting in the process anyway.