the summer r&b record i've been waiting for has arrived...

swears

preppy-kei
Blackdown said:

Ummmm.... :eek:

Well, Pitchfork's like Vice, where I'll read Electric Independence and Grimewatch, but I'm not really interested in the rest of the site.
There's obviously gonna be the odd good thing up on there, they'll get someone who knows about a partcular genre to do a piece, like Philip Sherburne's stuff on Techno, but it always feels like a sidedish to the "serious" main course of meat and potatoes indie rock.

gumdrops

the weird thing is, even though i do really like the grime, techno, dancehall etc etc columns and check them regularly (i even like pfm's hip hop coverage just for the fact its diff to the usual stuff about hip hop in 'urban' media, its good for a diff perspective), its pretty much all written with indie rockers in mind anyway. none of it feels like its written for people who know/are really into/LOVE that music, it seems like its written for people that arent really au fait with it. but then i should probably expect that shouldnt i - thats who the site is for, lol

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Logan Sama said:
Very kind of you to find the time to include an entire paragraph on Grime. Much appreciated.

oh come on logan that's not particularly fair. i've consistently written around a thousand words on both genres for around 14 months for pitchfork. the first time i didn't you pounce.

the reason why i didn't, apart from the fact that i cant function on less than 4 hours sleep, is that right now i'm not always sure what to say about grime. i listen to your show every week, but beyond that i cant find roll deep sets easily right now, and allthough i buy lots of them, the mixtapes are very often patchy.

the state of grime has been rinsed to death on the other grime threads around, but my position remains that i'm not promoting records or writing about artists i dont feel for the sake of filling column inches. conversely if something's inspiring or interesting, i'll back it as much as i can.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Maybe you shouldn't write a grime column then?

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were this month in dubstep, because normally that's how it feels focussed anyway. And that is entirely your perogative. I respect and read with interest your views and opinions on that scene. Maybe they should get someone to write about Grime who still is immersed in it.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
ah. right. well just thanks so much for your kindness logan. with that kind of compassion and ability to work with different people, isnt it a wonder the grime scene is such a hotbed of achievement and well paid 'artists?'

no offence to you and this may come from a wild

Blackdown said:
ah. right. well just thanks so much for your kindness logan. with that kind of compassion and ability to work with different people, isnt it a wonder the grime scene is such a hotbed of achievement and well paid 'artists?'

tangent but the way I see it is that a lot of journo's have managed to get a lot of work from talking about grime (aswell as mags raising their profiles or selling copies), 'informing' ppl who don't know about grime about it and have actually managed to get slight names because of grime (which is very hard these days with the net) but now that the ship is rocking slightly and a lot of press heat has cooled from it, are looking to jump ship. This makes me think that actually were these ppl ever really 'down' for this in the first place? Was the heart ever there? Or has been it been used for a springboard (which is cool - its just ppl need to know)?

As I said, no offence to you man.

Oh yeah also back to the topic - I finally realised what that Cassie track is and I'm not surprised why ppl like it. It completely ties into this current sonic trend which is still sweeping the globe but in a rnb format...you know with other stuff like grime/nukg/congotronics/baile funk/hyphy/crunk/snap etc etc. My two pence anyway.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Tactics said:
tangent but the way I see it is that a lot of journo's have managed to get a lot of work from talking about grime (aswell as mags raising their profiles or selling copies), 'informing' ppl who don't know about grime about it and have actually managed to get slight names because of grime (which is very hard these days with the net) but now that the ship is rocking slightly and a lot of press heat has cooled from it, are looking to jump ship. This makes me think that actually were these ppl ever really 'down' for this in the first place? Was the heart ever there? Or has been it been used for a springboard (which is cool - its just ppl need to know)?

As I said, no offence to you man.

none taken. this is something musicians complain about all the time, because a musician's position is usually that they're emotionally tied to a scene for better or worse.

journalists are tied to getting a good story, for better or worse. it's a completely normal journalism position to write about something when its hot/news, and not when its not.

it terms of scenes, that's not the policy i operate with personally, but it's how journalism works - just as musicians work with the best ideas they come across, not every single one they think of.

Dubquixote

Submariner
qwerty south said:
nelly furtado - promiscuous

I couldn't let this one slip by without commenting on how hard it is to take Tim seriously as a front man. He and Furtado performed this song on Saturday Night Live recently and it was excrutiating watching Tim sing and dance! Endless respect to him as a producer, and I know criticizing producers for stepping in front of the camera is probably tired by now, but DAMN Tim really isn't pop star material. This is probably a nice catchy summer tune but for some reason I find Timbaland just distracting in this.

Dubquixote

Submariner
Gotta give the Pussycat Dolls a mention for 'Dont Cha' as a hazy summer burner with that beat sounding like Prince When Doves Cry.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Blackdown said:

What does that have to do with ability to work with other people?

I simply commented that if you feel no desire to write about Grime and genuinely can't see anything WORTH writing about at length in grime, as opposed to the dubstep/FWD scene which you have been far more interested in since long before Grime existed, that maybe you shouldn't be writing about Grime.

Don't try and take offence from an honest comment which actually praised your coverage of the Dubstep and FWD scenes, whilst pointing out your lack of insight and apparent lack of interest in the Grime genre.

safe

Blackdown said:
none taken. this is something musicians complain about all the time, because a musician's position is usually that they're emotionally tied to a scene for better or worse.

journalists are tied to getting a good story, for better or worse. it's a completely normal journalism position to write about something when its hot/news, and not when its not.

it terms of scenes, that's not the policy i operate with personally, but it's how journalism works - just as musicians work with the best ideas they come across, not every single one they think of.

respect for the response

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
gumdrops said:
none of it feels like its written for people who know/are really into/LOVE that music, it seems like its written for people that arent really au fait with it. but then i should probably expect that shouldnt i - thats who the site is for, lol

I think if you showed Pitchfork to 99% of CD buyers they would think the exact opposite. In fact most of the time Pitchfork is criticised for assuming too much knowledge, not too little. But then people will attack Pitchfork whatever they do basically.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
don_quixote said:
is the myspace remix the diddy remix?
No it's another one, the Diddy one is him doing a particularly good rap over it and then rewinding the track and it kicks off, same beat, dunno who the myspace one is by, I tried searching it out on 'illegal' places and couldn't find it...

Is it me or is there a dubstep influence in this song ?

Given that Ryan Leslie works with Usher and Usher had a bit of garage influence it would stand to reason that Ryan would be up on the dubstep sound and minimalised this tune to such effect.

On a side note I thought I'd be cool and show my daughters this song and page and it turns out they were on to it months ago, ripped it, burnt it, played it right out and then put me onto

Ak'sent Le toya and cherish

haha