Johnny Dark

dwaggin

stone by day
i have not absorbed the ukg influence, so what i have heard i can't pinpoint on ukg, but.

that armani versace vs. mercedes bentley track was stuck on me for over a year. the ladycracker ep and yamu d'-din lp by din-st are strongly recommended. did maxximus do a mixtape of germans doing dubstep as i believe?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Nah, it's just that sticking an amen break into sound forge and fuckin' around with it at random in a crap attempt to emulate Squarepusher, who was in turn copying Dillinja or whoever is a lot easier to do than actually programming those Timbaland influenced "skippy" patterns. I was loving a lot of commercial UKG and 2step at the time, being a bit too up north and young to actually dig deeper.

And a lot of the slick stuff was interesting.

You've hit the nail on the head here... A complex rhythm is what you get with 2 step and Timbaland, its all about the level of syncopation, of the snare hitting on the unanticipated offbeat, sounding faltering, doubtful, yet at the same time with a ridiculous level of alien funk. When you listen back to a lot of old IDM its all snares on the 2 and 4, dressed up in messy sonics... or, as you said, fucked up edited breaks with no sense of propulsion or elegance...I hated 2step at the time, only really started to get into it at the tail end with the MC led sound and Oxide and Neutrino and the like... but then when I heard even the pop-commercial stuff later I was utterly, utterly loving it.

Oh and there's a JBs/Johnny Dark breezeblock out there...? Damn, I need to hear that!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Ironically the best track on his new EP is "HCD2", the remix of the JBs "High Come Down", very hyper-edited and sounding sinister with the vocals completely hacked into incoherent stabs (Take THAT Jeremy heheh...) The other tracks are a tad too Reason-demoish for me, like the ride in "Can't Wait" is completely rubbish. Still enjoyable tho.

mms

sometimes
Ironically the best track on his new EP is "HCD2", the remix of the JBs "High Come Down", very hyper-edited and sounding sinister with the vocals completely hacked into incoherent stabs (Take THAT Jeremy heheh...) The other tracks are a tad too Reason-demoish for me, like the ride in "Can't Wait" is completely rubbish. Still enjoyable tho.

absolutey agree there, this is the best track.
reminds me a bit of hot chips remix of jamie lidell's multiply but the vocal there becomes blurred melodic texture, rather than rhythm/

swears

preppy-kei
Dunno whether I prefer JB's with Johnny Dark's input or the more early house/italo sound of the new album. They're both on pretty heavy rotation.
I'm getting this 12' though, anymore 2step/electronica crossover stuff anyone would recommend?

swears

preppy-kei
So is he bringing out any new tunes soon or what? And what's the status of Kin records now, are they still going?

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
Kin

Yes KIN's Still going, Johnny's Currently working on some new vocal tracks with San Serac, formerly of Output recordings. We're all really excited about the new stuff, its in a similar style to the Can't Wait EP, but with more of a Pop focus if anything..

Some digital releases should be out soon, and physical releases later in the year...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Dunno if this has been posted elsewhere- Johnny Dark's new band Stereo Image have recently released their debut single "Red Nights"... Its very electro-soul with quite Bowie-esque vocals, amusingly reminiscent of the JBs actually... Here's their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/stereoimageband